Wife's Monster Hog-Texas

What a hog...

Congratulations, nice hog! And your a lucky man to have a wife whose onboard with hunting. It will never happen in my house, but she loves the meat off those critters. Good thing you've got a big freezer.
Once again, congradulations to your wife. She's a real trooper.

Cutter

What kind of upper do have on your AR-15 in 7.62X39 ?

Redbone
I got though Gunbroker from Blackthorne Products. I have bough several 223 upper from them, but they no longer carried the 20" 7.62X39...I just happened to catch one on Gunbroker. Glad I did, we did some shooting this past weekend at just under 700 yards with it. It shot better than I wold have guessed. The wife was doing the shooting and hit a 20"X30" 3 out of 5 shots once we got the wind factored in...about a 15 knot cross wind.

Any way they still carry the 16" M4 barrels in 7.62.

BTW-IMO-don't listen to all the "elitist" who say to only buy the top shelf brands. Blackthorne is using all the same stuff they are at a better price.

Way to go Capt, congrats to your wife. I know how it feels to be in her position right up to the point of being rooted around. I shot this one a while back with my Contender and when I recovered from the recoil it had already covered half the distance between us and was serious about sharing the pain.

58268622ClRNWP_ph.jpg

Needless to say sometimes one shot isn't always enough, and in certian situations a Contender isn't a speed loading option. Luckily I had my rifle against a tree a few yard back and got to it as the hog got to me and made a literal point blank shot on it as I rolled out of it's path. I don't think I would have faired as well as your wife had it got hold of me.

Glad you have a parfner who can share in your adventures. Mine loves to fish but leaves the hunting to me, my daughter and grandson. She does know just how to cook it up though.

Good lookin "rooter" you got there Mike!

I was just glad the hog that got the wife was young enough to not have any tusks yet. If it had she would have been in trouble.

She is a real trooper! I know am very lucky to have her share my passion for the outdoors! OH-check out her fishing photos down in the fishing forum...she can fish too!

Yes they are very good on the table. The only exception is actively breeding boars. They taste like boar hogs smell. As long as they are loners and not with a heard they are fine. I was still a little concerned about this one, but he will be fine.

BTW-she was attacked by a boar hog I bow shot during bow season. I got the liver and one lung. The hog still lived almost an hour. I was doing the tracking while she kept the last spot...when she seen him ahead of us. It had circled around...I'm guessing to watch his back trail. When she called out that it was still alive it charged her. My wife normally carries a XD tactical in 45GAP, but forgot it and was carrying her 44mag. She couldn't break leather in time and he knocked her down and rooting her around...then climbed up on her thigh. She was able to hit in the nose to stop the attack. I was yelling for her to shoot it, but she was lying on her gun side . Anyway when she got up she one handed a shot at him, which ended up breaking a bone in her hand.

She really enjoyed eating that rack of ribs!

My wife likes to hunt with me but if that happend to her I would be dead not the hog LMAO!!!! You got a good woman there. You better take care of her if she puts up with kind of stuff HA HA....

Kudos to Mrs. Captn!

Jim Zumbo has since changed his attitude after actually using the "evil black gun" LOL Although I haven't had the chance to drop a hog, I have a RRA .223 that is pure death on prarie rats and coyotes. Of the 11 dogs I've taken in the last 2 years only one had 2 bullets in her... I accidently double-tapped her. =) OOPS!

What scope do you have on the AR-15?

The feral hogs are pestilence and I kill them every single time I see them on our place. They have been getting worse and worse. Had to kill more than a few at a time. The best way is to go over a tank dam at night and catch them wallowing. I got 6 one time and used all 20 shots in the SR 15! This time of year they stay in the woods but over the next few weeks they will be out foraging around and then they become vulnerable to the 338 Lapua!!

Ok ok, I'm a bit late to this thread and congrats to the wifey for killing such a monster but I have 1 question....

Where do I get a wife like that?!?!

They are NOT one of a kind! I got one who came over from Germany in..........never mind, but she made me promise that she could go deer and antelope hunting with me and she always caught bigger fish when we went out fishing. I got the slightly more petite model. No complaints and no comparing, happiest camper I could be.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.