Why you should consider a 223 for a LR rifle

I'm not understanding your comparison. You are measuring a different target than the OP, Browning. If you zoom in or out on the OPs target until the center darker circle is 0.5" then measure the distance between bullet 1 & 2, it appears to me you'll get about 0.75", just eyeballing it. The OP said he used a caliper to verify the software, so the center circle must be smaller than 0.5", I may be wrong. I just thought he may need to adjust his software to get an accurate number. Some people don't realize they need to calibrate each photographed target. Every time
they take a picture of the target, the camera distorts the size of the target and the software needs to be recalibrated for each photo seperately for the software to be accurate. Just trying to help accuracy.
I said it was as close as I could estimate and the target I measured is the exact same size 10 and appears same 9 ring. It was simply conversation and me thinking it was also a .75" group and when I measured my estimate as I said the OP was spot on. I'm 3000 miles from the OP looking at a computer not taking sides.

I said it was as close as I could estimate and the target I measured is the exact same size 10 and appears same 9 ring. It was simply conversation and me thinking it was also a .75" group and when I measured my estimate as I said the OP was spot on. I'm 3000 miles from the OP looking at a computer not taking sides.
Yes, we're all trying to help.

I discovered the joy of a long range .223 about 15 years ago! Definitely fun and DEFINITELY inexpensive. Best I shot it was.188 but it's a .250 ( better said...I'm a .250) at 100 regularly. I've only shot it to 500 which was enough....now I'll have to stretch it out...just cause! That's a 1" red dot@ 100 10rdsView attachment 544991View attachment 544992
That looks like a Buck Rogers ray gun!! Apparently shoots like one too!!

I`ve had an absolute ball shooting my Savage Model 12 LRPV in .223 out to 500 ( The max currently at my club range ). Shooting at a 4" gong has been a good challenge for me. I don`t reload, so I`ve accepted the limitations that come with that and know I`ll never really fully realize how accurate the gun might be. Mine REALLY likes 69 SMKs put out by ADI. Highly recommend them as a factory load for 7-9 twist guns.

Over the years I've owned a few 223s but they were always set up to run lightweight Varmint bullets and I never thought of the cartridge as a good long range option.

Fast forward a few years and I built a long 223 with a 26" barrel and a 7.5 twist barrel to run 75-80 grain bullets. With a stout charge of Varget I get 3040 fps with a 75 grain ELDM and it just flat out shoots. This load was unbelievably fun on rock chucks last spring and even killed two of them over 1200 yards!

After getting some suppressors last year I wanted to see how the rifle and suppressor would do with a quick 10 shot string. Today was test day so I loaded up a magazine and let it rip. To say I was impressed would be an understatement. What a hoot! 10 shots into 1/2 MOA is just way too much fun.

View attachment 544846View attachment 544847

Welcome to the club! We've been using fast twist 223/5.56 for over 3 decades for LR, 1,000yd, 1,000yd F-class, lots of cheaper wind training, varminting, and just plain fun. Also, they are great trainers for youth and novice LR shooters.

With reloading component and gun barrel prices constantly rising, the 223/5.56 or similar just makes good sense for more trigger time.

Welcome to the club! We've been using fast twist 223/5.56 for over 3 decades for LR, 1,000yd, 1,000yd F-class, lots of cheaper wind training, varminting, and just plain fun. Also, they are great trainers for youth and novice LR shooters.

With reloading component and gun barrel prices constantly rising, the 223/5.56 or similar just makes good sense for more trigger time.
Agree, great 1K LR and F-Class caliber, the water line works fine, and it really brings your wind skills up a notch. Cheer

Check the equipment list for LR. competitions...... very few if any 223`s...... waste of time trying to reinvent the wheel.......
There is an entire 600 and 1,000yd F-class cat for 223/5.56 and some are using it for Palma, and lets not forget how may decades it has been used in NM courses with 600yd prone. As a trainer, it has performed great for far too long to ignore.

Check the equipment list for LR. competitions...... very few if any 223`s...... waste of time trying to reinvent the wheel.......
Might be right... in fact, I'm sure you are, but... it's sure a lot of fun, it's not always about the win, as much as it is about testing our own skills, in another guy's arena. On a good day, weather that is, the old .223 can give the rest of the pack a run for its money, not saying it's the best choice for bringing home the gold across the board, just saying it's a hoot to compete with, plain fun! Cheers

There is an entire 600 and 1,000yd F-class cat for 223/5.56 and some are using it for Palma, and lets not forget how may decades it has been used in NM courses with 600yd prone. As a trainer, it has performed great for far too long to ignore.
it's called FTR and you have to shoot a 308 or 223. The guys winning at 1000 are largely shooting 308's. When the wind blows at 1000 the 223 can't keep up. But at 600 the 223 is competitive.

Here's the wife @ 1769yrds, 223 AI 85.5gr Berger. Bullet did not penetrate, just bounced off.
20231201_185412.jpg
20231201_185211.jpg
20231201_183955.jpg

Recent Posts