New Rifle build Please tell me why I should or should not build a 25-06

22 Creedmoor! running the 90 Gr SMK or 88 Gr ELDM 3250 FPS.. I use mine primarily for coyote hunting 22" barrel suppressed and I ordered another one because of how impressed I've been.. farthest coyote just over 1100 yds and shot a mule deer last year with the 77 Gr Barnes LRX just over 500! Favorite cartridge of all time!

Dump the savage and pickup a decent LA Remington clone. The 25-06 is as near to a non belted magnum as you can find. Buy quality stock, barrel, trigger, and mounts and build your dream mid caliber rifle with a competent gunsmith. My rifles in 25-06 have never disappointed.

Dump the savage and pickup a decent LA Remington clone. The 25-06 is as near to a non belted magnum as you can find. Buy quality stock, barrel, trigger, and mounts and build your dream mid caliber rifle with a competent gunsmith. My rifles in 25-06 have never disappointed.
Pretty sure there are quality "options" for a Savage that the OP CAN have his dream rifle put together with (without spending thousands on a custom build) and when it's all said and done easily have a rifle with 1/2 minute (or better) capability……The rest of the "math" will be up to the OP's reloading/shooting abilities.

If you want the 25-06 build a 25–06. You'll be a lot happier in the long run. Even if you have to sell the one you have, and buy a donor Rifle. You Will probably have this rifle for a long time. Build the one you really want. Just my two cents worth.

I have 2- 25/06. If I was going to update the Rifle I would change it to 25/06AI. Change the twist rate to somewhere around 1-7.5". Get increase of velocity with that. You do need a long action. 25/06 brass you can come by it very easy. The 30/06, 7mm, 280, 270, and there probable a couple of others cases that can be converted to 25/06. In thinking about it a little more. I would convert to a .257x280AI Case, and get just a bit more powder in the case. Peterson builds 280AI cases. So there is top quality brass to be had, and it only requires necking down the case. Or you can fire form the cases after resizing them. I am presently waiting for Peterson to do a factory run on the 280AI cases. I am having a 6mm/280AI being built. It's 1-7 twist rate and 30" heavy barrel. It maybe to much powder for the 6mm, but I have to see.
What started out to be a simple question, has turned into a project. It's fun, but look at all the different way you can go. There is several short action in 6mm that would work for you too.

What you have described here is essentially the 25 Sherman. It's a blown out 270 for the longer neck, just in 6mm.

Which is pretty much the same as a 25 Gibbs. If you really want to maximize the case, use the Hawk brass, adjust for a 0.250" length neck, and design your reamer for minimum case taper and a 40 degree shoulder. I knew a guy who used 280 brass as the base of his wildcat because it is just a shade longer than 06 or even the 270. FWIW. - dan

Not at all. I happen to have a 6.5 CM (current load is with 125) and I like it but I know its limitations. I also know some peeps loaded theirs with the 156. I have a .264 WM with 26" 1:7" that is better suited for it
I was just being a smart Alec. I hope I didn't offend you Or anyone else.

Which is pretty much the same as a 25 Gibbs. If you really want to maximize the case, use the Hawk brass, adjust for a 0.250" length neck, and design your reamer for minimum case taper and a 40 degree shoulder. I knew a guy who used 280 brass as the base of his wildcat because it is just a shade longer than 06 or even the 270. FWIW. - dan
Yep! Gibbs did an awesome job on his wildcat cartridges.