Why was a post deleted?

I don't know what the laws are there, but road hunters are arrested in Texas and if game is shot
or impeded from any road the person /persons will spend many days in jail.

It is still done but once the laws started being taken seriously and people started going to jail it has gotten better.

I don't know you personally Broz, (Just On this site) but I applaud your efforts and respect your opinion and integrity.

A good guy and sponsor on this site (Joel Russo) says it best. Quote " Character is who you are when nobody is looking" and your kind of character is getting harder and harder to find.

Good luck , and You are not alone.

J E CUSTOM
Rightfully so..... Arrests need to be made. And yes Judge of Character is when faced with right from wrong, and knowing the difference.

This type of BS has been going on for as long as I've been hunting big game, and I remember it all too well. As a young kid I had a "friend" whom decided it would be better to hangout in his car and drink rather then go into the woods to hunt deer. As luck would have it he saw a group of deer crossing the open field out in front of him. So he ran out around the other side to get his Browning BAR and decided to shoot into the herd, but since he was intoxicated he couldn't hit the buck but did manage to wound a doe.

I had heard these shoots from where I was sitting, only to come back later in the evening to find him still in his car, and asked what had happened? His answers had me so furious I was just dumb founded how someone could be so stupid with their actions?

I had to tracked the deer to where it had gone and found it still alive. This dumb *** was standing behind me when I asked him why didn't you put it out of its misery? He just stood there with a stupid look on his face, and I shook head in disbelief as I shot it in the head. Lucky for him I had a doe tag, but the whole incident had left a bad taste in my mouth.

This friend and I had it out a few years later during another deer season in the U.P. That incident was a turning point in his life and he has never drank another drink since then, that was 30 years ago, but our friendship had ended as well.

I left Michigan because of those bad apples and "if it's brown it's down" mentality. They all wanted to shoot big bucks but couldn't see far enough into the future to "let them go and grow". Look at what happened in Pennsylvania and how Gary Alt in the end had death threats against him, when he wanted to help PA with producing a better deer herd.

Even when I lived in Montana during an Antelope hunt in the late 1990's I saw two different groups of guys in two trucks do just what Jeff had witnessed chasing Prong Horn around, shooting wildly at running Antelope not making any hits but jumped back into their trucks to "give chase again". I had enough and had to leave that hunting area thinking what kind of hunting is that?

That same day I once again saw some more road hunters and decided to tell these guys "Are you aware you're on private property"? They all looked at each other, glanced down at a map and drove off! They didn't have a clue where they were and frankly didn't care who's land they were on?

It's the same for 4-wheelers and hunting off them, very few people will venture off into roadless terrain anymore. It's one thing to use them to get from point A-to-B, but that's not the case the vast majority of the time. Someone just road up to me a few weeks ago, and thought nothing more then to just drive right through an area I was glassing. I shouted out Hey! I told this guy " Are you aware the trail you're on is closed to ORV's", and pointed North to the spot he had left legal to ride FS lands and he should look at his FS MVU map for which roads are open!?!

This happens to me a lot around where I live, I gotta hike into this area to hunt yet every year I come across someone whom doesn't want to abide by the law, and it takes away from my hunting in an area closed to ORV's. They'll go around closed gates, cut barbed wire, cross posted lands and even poaching exists out of season. Those folks are law breakers and take away from our sport as a whole.

I can remember in Utah I drew a deer tag in a great area, only to have some Yahoos drive up to unload their horses and spot me stalking a group of Mule Deer. Well sure enough those A holes started shooting! I thought what the hell, they're over a mile away, needless to say those deer took off, and so did I. I did manage to get a deer but nothing that truly represented the area and with so many hunters I was ready to pack it up and go home.

A true sportsman would respect the laws and the ethics of fair chase, yet there always will be those that wont for their own self interests. They'll go above and beyond the law or ethics, and like a thief, a thug, a rapist, drug dealers and pimps, and even white collar criminals justice needs to be handed down. It's a shame our sport has people willing to go so far as not to see there actions as morally and ethically wrong....... and a society blind from doing right from wrong.

Was there that day in question getting ready to hike back into the NF and saw some of the shooting and the last of the chasing and it was disgusting. Saw a couple of guys park at the side of the road and walk not more than ten yards off and the wait instead of using the terrain to be in a better position. Definitely NOT proficient long range hunters. Wounded a cow and then sent two more wild shots at her. Jeff was doing his best to protect the ranch as is his job and report the unethical at best and straight illegal actions of the road "warriors" . There are thousands of acres of NF land around there and I hunted some of it but you can't sit in your truck and ride around to hunt it. While back in I was scoped twice and had my hunt disturbed by an illegal atv hunter far from the road. Montana has some of the finest people you will ever meet but there are plenty who fall into the sub human category too. Those crying apes and the scum rag that gave them a place to publicly attack Jeff fall into the sub human category imo.

Again.... THANK YOU all for your kind words and support. You can't imagine what it means to me right now.

Jeff

Good for you. Sounds challenging & terribly stressful. Stay safe and hope the anxiety associated with all the press coverage diminishes soon.

After going through some paper work (A necessary purge was in order) I came across a document that I had sent to the Colorado parks and wild life division about a problem I had with "ROAD HUNTERS) I use the term loosely because these people are nor hunters.

After calling the game warden I got a disturbing reply about the problem. He said that the people
we were talking about were under the sanctuary rule/law and could not be questioned "AT ALL".

It is a sad state of affairs that allow some to break the law without question and others that are bound by these laws are accountable.

I was hunting Private land and had these guys fire over my head from the road, After confronting them (With a 44 special in my coat pocket) they even bragged about it and stated that they had been doing it for years and showed me spent brass from a previous year.

Then after all of this they ask if they could go on the private land to retrieve there Cow Elk (If they had waited 2 more minutes they could have killed the bull I was hunting that they had not seen).

The land owner told them no, and that they would have to get the game warden to retrieve it for them. Believe it or not, he came buy and ask if they could go on his land and again the owner said that the only person that had permission to go on his land was the warden.

As a result of this problem being allowed , I have not gone back and will never go to Colorado to spend a dime.

I know this does not make your situation any better Broz, but you are not alone in this situation
and my choice was the easy one. yours is the more difficult choice and I wish you and your state
all the best at solving this problem.

Just a comment to a fellow hunter.

PS: I never got a reply from the CPWD.

J E CUSTOM

Sorry you had to experience that...even more sorry for the poor herd. The fun in hunting is when the animal has a fighting chance. Some of the most exciting hunts are the ones that got away. Hopefully those scumbags get whats coming to them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.