Why do you reload cartridges?

I started for accuracy and price.

now I have a 6.5-284 and its a necessity.

I do enjoy it but if i could find reasonably priced .223 rounds that shot good with a ballistic tip I would jump in a heart beat.

In the beginning it was to get ammo. When I was 16 I had family buy some brass, primers, powder, and bullets so I could make my own cartridges. I have been reloading as long as I have been shooting centerfires.

I always liked the custom part that allowed one to choose whatever components they wanted. To me custom is better than factory.

I started reloading when I got into the accuracy of what I was shooting at the age of 17. Started with an RCBS Master Reloading Kit and I'm still using the same equipment over 20 years later. I reload because I find it much easier when getting into a new caliber to just order one or two hundred cases and a set of dies as I have tons of bullets to choose from and just about any powder I would need. I like odd chamberings...something a little different and reloading is the only option for me...I haven't bought factory ammo with the exception of pistol and rimfire ammo for the last 20+ years.

I started reloading ammo for my 270 in 1953 . As a teenager I had very little money so that I could shoot more I started reloading. I purchased 4895 and 4831 powder for $0.25 per pound , the Hornady 100 and 130 bullets were a bit over three $ per 100. I shot prairie dogs with the 100 Gr bullets and found out that to hit them at 300 yards I need to develope accurate reloads for my 270. I started reading about the bench rest and 1000 yard shooter and how they would reload their target ammo and how to tune up bolt action rifles. As I got older I got better quaity reloading equipment, my first press was a Lymon Tru Line Jr. I still can recall when and where I shot my first one inch five shot 100 yard and 1/2 inch group. Most all of my shooting now is at prairie dogs. The bullets shot from my 17 Fireball,17 Rem, 204 Ruger,221 Fireball, 222 Rem, 223 Rem, 22-250 Rem, 220 Swift, and 243 Win are the best I can make.--I dont like missing--

As a matter of full disclosure let me start by saying I am a greenhorn. Only around 6 or 7 thousand rounds hand loaded. .308, 6.5 Grendel, 300 BO, 5.56/.223, 40 S&W, 9mm, 12ga. Grendel and Blackout I have made most of my own cases for.
That being said, I started reloading just to feed my guns; but I found that every gun I loaded for shot better. I also found that I really enjoy hand loading.

I started at 14 years old, with a Lee Loader! Simple, inexpensive, and efficient for a kid that had very little money and no one to train me with hand loading! It allowed me to shoot my .308 Win., which took me about a year to save up money for!

By 19, I was casting bullets for my handgun......allowing me, a broke father of one, to shoot my handgun a lot more!

Summary: Save Money! When I first started....the cost of factory .308 ammunition was $3 to $4 per box! memtb

When I started 45 years ago it was because it was A TINY FRACTION OF THE COST COMPARED TO FACTORY. Then needed ammo we could not buy (218 Bee). The measured precision benefit didn't start until about 35 years ago.

For myself it is just part of the hunting, I really like to know that I did everything that I could,to minimize any mistakes in the field . In other words ( can't blame the ammo for anything).
I have been literally trickling powder into the same scale ,even after it comes out of the powder throw, for the past 50 years, waiting for the needle to stop perfectly on zero.
Started when I was in Highschool, and probably have learned some aspects wrong or not up to date ,according to others,but
It works for me. Thanks

If I want to shoot my .338 Edge and .20 PPC I have to reload BUT I started reloading long before I bought them. I like the process. It's relaxing. My 7mm Mag., .223 TAC, and .308 TAC rounds shoot better than what I used to be able to buy cheaper off the shelf did :/ I bought most of my bullets, brass, and powder a while ago so my cost compared to today is pretty good. But... there's always that new bullet or or powder to try :)

Oops, I forgot one. I reload subs for the .308 TAC.

Last edited:
I started reloading back in the early 80s to save $$$ then in the 90s it was because of Wildcats like the 375-50BMG and 6-284, the 2000 and 2010s fot the enjoyment of it.
These days it just for survival.....the stockpiles allow me to still shoot now and then!

Recent Posts