Why do so many people not like the 338 Lapua?

Things seem to be progressing with the 338 Lapua as it's been around awhile and the brass can't be beat. At Gander mountain this past year, I saw quite a bit of 338 Lapua commercial ammunition. This is a first time I saw any. I don't think I saw 1 box of 300 Rum, 338Rum and very little 338 wm. Hardly any 7 wsm but plenty 300 wsm. That always tells me something, what are retailers carrying? As people re-load more and more, typically the commercial availability seems to coincide with use in general of the caliber most sought. 300 wm ammunition seems less and less even though it is an awesome caliber. It could be that the military has been using more 338 Lapua in the last 20 years and manufacturers see a growing market. Interesting? Just a viewpoint. I like all calibers!

Do I think the 338 Lapua is just a fad? right now not sure but I hope not. as long as firearm companies keep making rifles and brass and components are available then I think it will be a strong ongoing option.
I don't feel the fad thing is related to the public but rather than manufacturers.
I don't think manufacturers are really on the bandwagon with what the public wants.
the are great cartridges out there that if allowed to prosper would do well.

take the 300 RUM and that family of cartridges for example. I think they are really great performers. Remington just did not follow up well enough to really help those survive...I think they are going by the way side. too bad too. I owned a Sendero 300 ultra. great rifle. had a brain fart and sold it. was considering getting another at this moment in my rifle hunt. I have a couple hundred rounds of brass just sitting at home. there are a few new Senderos available. but, no one can find any brass, anywhere. Seems like Remington in their infinite wisdom has decided to only sell loaded ammo. I cannot afford to only purchase loaded ammo. so, I won't purchase the rifle. most people who would consider this type of round are involved in reloading.

look at the 6.5x55 swede. I am not calling this a fad round. but great cartridge. in a modern rifle with better brass and higher power loads would run well with the 6.5 crowd. but for some reason the rifle companies don't make rifles in that round. maybe one here or there but the rifles designed do not exploit the long range accuracy potential of that cartridge. I shot and old military rifle in the swede. what a great shooting, smooth, fun time. would love to own one.

the WSM family of cartridges are great, accurate platforms. but once again the rifles being offered for these don't seem to exploit the potential of the cartridges.

I think what may be the saving grace of the 338 Lapua is the huge interest in long range shooting and hunting. seems like long range is here to stay and manufacturers are getting on the bandwagon selling products to promote this sport. just look at what has come out in the past 15 yrs or so....range finders with incredible capabilities, bullets with high BC, high power scopes with unreal glass, on and on.

as long as long range shooting/hunting is promoted I think many of the new "fad" cartridges will live on. we need them to.
There are only so many people who will buy a new rifle in any given caliber. Firearms MFG's like to come up with a New, Latest, Greatest, Bestest round occasionally and work hard to stir up interest in them.

When you look at the Swede, it's a great round but "it's old", and only a niche crowd was shooting anything in 6.5 as a hunting round in the US for several decades. Suddenly up pops the 6.5x47, Standardized 6.5x284, 260 Rem, and 6.5 Creedmore so there's lots of buzz on the forums and in magazines about them and they have created a big 6.5 push with major mfg's of both rifles and ammo/components spinning their way to the biggest market share while they can. Sooner or later one or two will become entrenched favorites and the rest will fade away.

Basically for decades we had Remington and Winchester competing and creating fads and now there are multiple good mfg's out there fighting for market share and so the fads will continue to come and go quicker than they used to since much more information can now be communicated via the internet than could have ever been done decades ago by the print media.

Add to that the hunting/shooting shows who showcase different "New, Better, Best" cartidges, rifles, and factory ammo and we just have a much more volatile and active marketplace especially with the explosion in tactical and long range shooting formats that have come into being in the last 20 years. The sport is growing rapidly and everyone wants to grab their market share as fast as they can and then they have to fight to hang onto it.

There will always be a very dedicated following for the 338 and with several different super 338's out there to choose from we'll probably always have at least a few of the major mfg's supporting the various 338's that are out there with a new, better, best tweaked .338 round popping up every few years to once again try and create a buzz and a demand.

There are a long list of reasons however as to why it will just never be a huge market as compared to the .300's, 7mm's, and 6.5's.

I believe the .338 is a fad. Similar to the tacti-cool idea. None of the negatives are stopping me from a .338 build...yes I want to be part of the fad too. Now I only do it because I can put a break on it. If no break was allowed, I'd stick to my 7 RM. I really like the "more room for error" that a .338 offers.
I remember watching a hunting show where the host was saying that one should have a .30 cal min for deer sized game because of the margin of error it provides. Thought and think that is over kill for deer but it sure does put them down.
With a good break, the .338 might be my "one and done" hunting rig.

The only real reason I would "hate" on a LM is because there are better cartridges out there if you reload for them.
Love this thread!
This is soooo funny to me because where I hunt and live the 338 has been used alot.When I was in high school and went to hunting camp that had 30 hard MT hunters there where 270's to 375 H&H,many 338 and 340wby at camp.Lets see the 340 been around since 1963 I believe,in the circles of hard core elk hunter that I run where we have 35-60 elk a piece 30-338 rule. I also have a friend pushing 35+ elk with his 270,but not any long range.And many of my friends that already shot 338 wins or similar moved up to 300-338 ultras or /weatherbys.We hunt real hard,steep tough terrain and LR helps success,but many shots arent that long always.When packing my 340 I ran into 2 others packing same one day in the high country.The 338 very popular out hear n nw MT.In 2010 I was the only guy I new in valley w/338NM,now I know 6 guys with them that many with 338 ultras and 300 and 338 nm improved and lapuas and hand full 338/378,HUH? We are putting the hurt and things with many 330+ bulls,200'' muleys,big moose and other

Things seem to be progressing with the 338 Lapua as it's been around awhile and the brass can't be beat. At Gander mountain this past year, I saw quite a bit of 338 Lapua commercial ammunition. This is a first time I saw any. I don't think I saw 1 box of 300 Rum, 338Rum and very little 338 wm. Hardly any 7 wsm but plenty 300 wsm. That always tells me something, what are retailers carrying? As people re-load more and more, typically the commercial availability seems to coincide with use in general of the caliber most sought. 300 wm ammunition seems less and less even though it is an awesome caliber. It could be that the military has been using more 338 Lapua in the last 20 years and manufacturers see a growing market. Interesting? Just a viewpoint. I like all calibers!
Retailers like Walmart,GD, BPS, Cabela's etc carry whatever they think they can sell in high volume.

That's about it.

Fads come and go. A truly great round will survive only because of hunters and shooters that keep them alive buy reloading years after the factory ammo Is un available.

There are many great cartridges still in use and in some cases have been revived. The 280 Remington is just one of those that was nearly extinct and re loaders/shooters have always seen it's attributes and just wont let it die.

Even with the "NEW" designed cartridges you can still find the 270 win, 280 rem,7mm rem mag.
30/06 and many more cartridges that are more than 50 years old still around because of there appeal and performance. So it remains to be seen if the 338 Lapua will reach this status.

Only Time will Tell

J E CUSTOM

We will probably have to load up on 22lr and then only be able to buy plastic BB pellets if we don't vote the anti gun people out of office. lol... Vote them OUT! We need to bring more hunters and competition and people to the sport, hopefully we all can keep it going.
Be safe always.

I think you could be on to something about a fad, but only to those who are really inexperienced. On the other hand, to experienced rifleman I would think it's more along the lines of evolution of performance. And performance is never out of style.

Some day I hope to have more real world experience. I have read much about the evolution and performance enhancements made by the .338 LR world and they are not to be overlooked.

... As a military caliber, I don't think it will ever truly be a fad. We will see.

True, most of the .338's I hear are custom built not in LM but as a military cartridge, the LM will not fade.

...There will always be a very dedicated following for the 338 and with several different super 338's out there to choose from we'll probably always have at least a few of the major mfg's supporting the various 338's that are out there with a new, better, best tweaked .338 round popping up every few years to once again try and create a buzz and a demand.

There are a long list of reasons however as to why it will just never be a huge market as compared to the .300's, 7mm's, and 6.5's.

Sort of my point that there are more popular rounds than .338 calibers. 30-06 case in point...and that was a military round too.:rolleyes: There will always be a following of the .338 but I doubt I will see the LM in the peoples gun cases as I see 30-06 and 300 WM. Much of that is controlled by the manuf.

...In 2010 I was the only guy I new in valley w/338NM,now I know 6 guys with them that many with 338 ultras and 300 and 338 nm improved and lapuas and hand full 338/378,HUH? We are putting the hurt and things with many 330+ bulls,200'' muleys,big moose and other

sp6x6 you've sold me on the .338 NM. You should get into marketing!

Hay, Its on a standard length action, I thought it looked small next to my 340 but design and efficiency with the large projectile runs with the lapua,which is more than you need for most.But hey I still have big dreams like brown bear and other, may never happen but...:D

I have friends that shot arrows that are over $ 12 per with broadhead. I shot Easton ACC for years,took 7 animals with the same arrow , recovered spin for straight,hated when it finally was broken on its last mission

Day to day plinking, air guns and 22lr. Big game at long distance, 1 shot with a 338 Lapua. nuff said...

This is an excerpt from the diaries of fallen Towel heads...

Everything that happens in God's world was supposed to happen, thus the 338 Lapua was born.

So,, if I understand the meaning behind you question is..I am gonna by one of theise ryfls. A 6.5 crudless or a 338 lipooa. Whie not wun ofver thie otur. REALLY? kinda two opposite ends of the spectrum isn't it?
I would call you a TROLL on this one.

Does Broz have an evil twin?!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.