Whose Deer Is sit ?

If you were in PA, that deer is yours, you shot it last and it went down from your shots. And I believe the guy who removed your tag would get fined for doing that little trick also...
I would be interested in what the OP did about his tag being removed.

This is why I quit doing drives years ago. I shot one and it ran not more than 30 yards into the brush. I was the kid at the time and an adult forbid me from going in and retrieving it. Said it would disturb the drive and sent me another direction. Once I am gone he goes in, puts a round through the dead deer, and tags it for himself.

The OP owns the deer. He killed it and tagged it. It was likely illegal that his tag was removed and replaced. Papa should have had a talk with his kid and resolved the issue. Sometimes parenting is tough but no doubt I would absolutely have had that talk with my son. If he wanted it he should have made a better shot.

That said, this all should have been worked out in the open before you tagged it.

You have to ask yourself if you want to waste your time on "friends" like this. If it were me I would already know the answer.

It's too late now since you already allowed them to claim your deer.

The time to speak up was when it happened, or not at all.

I don't subscribe to final killing shot keeps the animal if the initial shot is legitimately lethal one. A rear leg shot is a hard one.

Your friend was put in a hard place by his amped up kid(that seems to mean well), then he fudged it.

I think the manner he fudged it in is pretty distasteful, he said nothing and left, ruining your tag on the way.

I don't think a monster buck is worth all this but man sounds like a real fun situation. I think you should try to have a very calm conversation with the landowner about the whole situation and how to prevent it in the future.

It's easy for me to say this, I'm not his friend..

The shot that put it down gets the deer. Removing the tag? I'd let the GW figure that one out after a phone call.
You lost the rack of a trophy, no doubt. But bask in the light of knowing you killed it. I'd also relish the thought that deer hunting is ruined for that kid for a long time. It will take so long to find another deer of that caliber (and he may never do it) that hunting will never have the same attraction for him. Every year he kills a smaller deer, it just won't be the same for him and that, my good man, was put in motion by his father. I wouldn't worry over losing a friend like that either, other people will come along.

I agree with prior comments that the real victim of this experience is the youngster. In a world where accountability and honor seems to be going to hell in a hand basket, he will have a trophy on his wall for the rest of his life that was not a legitimate harvest based on the description of the hunt.. I wonder what will really run through his mind when he looks at his trophy hanging on the wall.. Yes, there are various rules or customs that define who gets to tag a deer under these kind of circumstances,, but IMO, the "truth" of the situation trumps all else when it comes to an individuals character. What we teach the youngsters of today will dictate the future of out sport.

I agree with prior comments that the real victim of this experience is the youngster. In a world where accountability and honor seems to be going to hell in a hand basket, he will have a trophy on his wall for the rest of his life that was not a legitimate harvest based on the description of the hunt.. I wonder what will really run through his mind when he looks at his trophy hanging on the wall.. Yes, there are various rules or customs that define who gets to tag a deer under these kind of circumstances,, but IMO, the "truth" of the situation trumps all else when it comes to an individuals character. What we teach the youngsters of today will dictate the future of out sport.

Best post I've seen in a long time, sums up a lot of issues the hunting community is facing!!!

Good point Greyfox, I totally agree. Character and ethics could both be/are being discussed in depth here. I wonder what lessons the second young man took away from this terrible ordeal. This sad situation will definitely change the way both of the young men view hunting for the rest of their lives. Sad, sad deal.

In the end it is just a deer. I guess I am old enough now to not get too excited about it. I also do not hunt like that so I don't think it will ever happen to me.

Steve
Yeah, but on the other hand, who wants a "friend" like that. Strangers behave better than that. Good riddance. It's over and done. Both the deer and the friendship.

Yeah, but on the other hand, who wants a "friend" like that. Strangers behave better than that. Good riddance. It's over and done. Both the deer and the friendship.
If it were me the friendship would be much chillier. I don't think I have any friends that would do that.

Agree with other posts that the young men were exposed to one of the ugliest sides of hunting and human selfishness. One taking a poor running shot and being rewarded for it and the other seeing grown men that were unable to check their own ego when it came to a trophy buck. Had it been a little buck there would not have been a problem.

Steve

Just opinion's here, and no individual opinion is right for everyone, or anyone else. That goes without saying. Basic level of respect, which is what was completely absent in the character of the father/son. Tag-team buck? That's a new one. The only tag-teaming here was the father/son. Partners in utter selfishness.
The boy will always understand he didn't kill the deer, and that his behaviors, and those of his father, were despicable. They stole a "friend's" deer. Life's proudest moment...
Hope they enjoy that deer head, and the wonderful memories associated with their theft. They shoulda left their "friend's" tag on the antlers, as a future talking point.
I hunt for enjoyment of my foremost outdoor endeavor. Not conflict. Rather hunt alone, peacefully, than with friends that lack any and all common sense when it comes to the most basic of human decency - that being respect of others.
And with that being said, a very merry Christmas to all except the father/son thieves... :eek: :)

Last edited:
These issues are all situationally dependent. The fact the kid shot and technically missed, means that it is your deer. That deer would have ran for miles and died a miserable death because of his poor shot placement. Now if you came upon the deer with your two shots and the kids first shot was right through the heart / lungs then I would concede and give it to him since the buck was clearly going to expire shortly anyway. The kid couldn't control how far a buck runs with a good, clean shot. But in this case that did not happen so therefore it is your buck.

I wouldn't be frustrated at the kid. He was just excited. Its annoying but understandable too. I did a goose hunt one time and I shot a goose that was clearly mine. The 9 year old next to me didn't even shoot. He then hops out of the blind to get the goose, and comes back asking if it was his. I guess I was at fault for not teaching him a lesson, but I wasn't the kids father. I didn't want to turn him off of hunting because of me being "greedy." In your situation though, I would be frustrated at the dad for not teaching his kid about the importance of rightfully earning something and having accountability in his poorly placed shot. It sounds like everyone lost here.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.