Who says only bolt guns are accurate?

Never heard of tuning the magazines, what are you doing to them just truing them up with the magwell?

I will also throw out there that my experience is small frames are much more forgiving than large frames for accuracy. Probably due to more moving mass etc. In my experience the large frames like a lot more bipod loading or other preload to maintain groups consistency. As one of my buddies put it "you have to bring your A-game".

When you true a magazine you adjust the opening in the feed lips to best position the cartridge. Also you take the/any sharp edges of so they feed smoother.

Tuning the mag helps it feed better, just like adjusting the gas block. There are so many more things that can effect the function of a Semi Auto Than with a bolt, hence the reason that a bolt gun is more consistent, and less affected.

All types of actions have there place.

J E CUSTOM

If the rifle has a great barrel, properly chambered, and headspace correct, it has all the potential of a bolt gun. Great trigger and stock helps but it is really up to the shooter.

Semi autos can be accurate for sure. I've seen some really accurate M1A's and AR's. But generally speaking bolt guns are "generally" easier to accurize. I've also had a Interarms Mauser in 243 win with a pencil thin barrel that was consistent 3/8 MOA or smaller. It had no business shooting that well.

I have a buddy with 300 win mag semi auto. (I believe it's a Browning) He was getting 8-10" groups at 300 yards. He bought the gun to hunt moose btw. So he asked me if I'd shoot it to see if it was him or the gun. It was mostly him. I managed several painful 3" groups at 300 yards. I say painful because the gun kicked like an angry mule.

Point is: it's a factory gun with no mods that will perform sub MOA groups. It was functional for the intended hunt while not so pleasant to shoot.

I believe your accuracy probabilities are increased with a bolt gun, but accuracy is measured in results. So if you get results with the semi-auto ... then go for it. Great shooting btw.

I've printed multiple 1/4-1/3 moa groups and various distances with my Gap-10.

Driving an Ar does take a different technique. And the 1-1.5 lb of reciprocating mass gives more gun movement than a similar weight bolt gun

All rifles can be accurate if they are put together right and fed good ammo with a good shot behind them. the question is, is a bolt gun more accurate. Potentially yes because they have fewer moving parts during firing.

The more complicated you make a fire arm the harder it is to tune it and the chances for more issues. actions that have no moving parts during firing tend to be easier to load for, and potentially more accurate.

Its just simple mechanics.

I would love to have a Semi Auto that would consistently shoot 1/2 MOA. But that Is my starting/rejection point for a bolt action. Many will consistently shoot 1/4 MOA and the realy good ones will drop below 1/10th MOA. because of the lack of moving parts during firing.

This would be a good place to use the word "Inherently Accurate"
for bolt guns.

J E CUSTOM

I think that about sums it up!

All rifles can be accurate if they are put together right and fed good ammo with a good shot behind them. the question is, is a bolt gun more accurate. Potentially yes because they have fewer moving parts during firing.

The more complicated you make a fire arm the harder it is to tune it and the chances for more issues. actions that have no moving parts during firing tend to be easier to load for, and potentially more accurate.

Its just simple mechanics.

I would love to have a Semi Auto that would consistently shoot 1/2 MOA. But that Is my starting/rejection point for a bolt action. Many will consistently shoot 1/4 MOA and the realy good ones will drop below 1/10th MOA. because of the lack of moving parts during firing.

This would be a good place to use the word "Inherently Accurate"
for bolt guns.

J E CUSTOM
My two main hunting rifles are my AR-10 A4 and my sporterised K98 Mauser. I handload meticulously for both, both have custom muzzle brakes I made and both have every trick I can think of done. I prefer the AR for deer hunting to 500 yards because of second shot ease, but the Mauser has zero recoil ( the bolt moving in the AR feels like recoil) and has put three 8mm bullets inside the circumference of a penny at 100 yards, one triangular hole. That level of perfection isn't needed on a deer, and I have had occasions to shoot up to three running deer at one time. The 10 round clip in the AR allowed me to shoot seven times and get them all and wound four trees. I hunt open farm fields mostly, by myself, and if I was sure to get a chance at a motionless deer, I'd use the Mauser. The AR just gives me better chances.

I watch several guys shoot sub-MOA groups at 600 yards who participate in the "new" NRA tactical mid range (600 yds) matches. One factor may be that they shoot them one at time and not from the magazine.

Remington Varmint in 308's of various configurations, bedded, good trigger will shoot some very tiny groups.

Not an AR fan, but have seen some crazy tight groups (2.8") at 1000yds from a Nemo Arms 300 win mag AR. Wouldn't mind having one of them at all, but for the rifle and good scope, I personally don't have $6-$8k+ laying around.

With rifles and pistols we all have our own thoughts on them as we do with our cars and pick-ups that's why we have so many different makes and models . Accuracy with a gun is like speed to a car some have it from the start and some need tuned for it . If you study on them and see what an AR takes to be accurate you can build one that is quit accurate put the right parts together in the right way and yes as with your pistol tune the mags . If you like to tinker with things and build accurate things AR's can be very interesting to build and you can also get some out of the box offerings that shoot well . The M-14 , M-1 are a couple of good examples of simi autos that shoot well .

as long as my gas guns shoot 1 moa or less, regardless of range, i'm happy. i do have some cheap ones that i know won't do it though.

this is 10 shots at 100 yards with my 6.5CM. oddly enough, the 2 shots at the top were the first 2 shots, then it tighten up (probably shooter error). the 3 at the bottom were my buddies.

IMG_2576.JPG

My two main hunting rifles are my AR-10 A4 and my sporterised K98 Mauser. I handload meticulously for both, both have custom muzzle brakes I made and both have every trick I can think of done. I prefer the AR for deer hunting to 500 yards because of second shot ease, but the Mauser has zero recoil ( the bolt moving in the AR feels like recoil) and has put three 8mm bullets inside the circumference of a penny at 100 yards, one triangular hole. That level of perfection isn't needed on a deer, and I have had occasions to shoot up to three running deer at one time. The 10 round clip in the AR allowed me to shoot seven times and get them all and wound four trees. I hunt open farm fields mostly, by myself, and if I was sure to get a chance at a motionless deer, I'd use the Mauser. The AR just gives me better chances.

Wound trees LoL.

Had a similar encounter on some hogs. All these guys were taken within about a minute as none of them could figure out where to run for safety.

72E7F034-203B-4834-985F-5879F6958B1D.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.