Who says only bolt guns are accurate?

kyron

This group is from a DPMS G2 308. I have only made 2 changes from factory. The trigger and the buffer spring.
20190506_132937.jpg
That's .75 moa seven shots.

All rifles can be accurate if they are put together right and fed good ammo with a good shot behind them. the question is, is a bolt gun more accurate. Potentially yes because they have fewer moving parts during firing.

The more complicated you make a fire arm the harder it is to tune it and the chances for more issues. actions that have no moving parts during firing tend to be easier to load for, and potentially more accurate.

Its just simple mechanics.

I would love to have a Semi Auto that would consistently shoot 1/2 MOA. But that Is my starting/rejection point for a bolt action. Many will consistently shoot 1/4 MOA and the realy good ones will drop below 1/10th MOA. because of the lack of moving parts during firing.

This would be a good place to use the word "Inherently Accurate"
for bolt guns.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
All rifles can be accurate if they are put together right and fed good ammo with a good shot behind them. the question is, is a bolt gun more accurate. Potentially yes because they have fewer moving parts during firing.

The more complicated you make a fire arm the harder it is to tune it and the chances for more issues. actions that have no moving parts during firing tent to be easier to load for and potentially more accurate.

I would love to have a Semi Auto that would consistently shoot 1/2 MOA. But that Is my starting/rejection point for a bolt action. Many will consistently shoot 1/4 MOA and the realy good ones will drop below 1/10th MOA. because of the lack of moving parts during firing.

for bolt guns.

J E CUSTOM
Oh no!!!!! You used those words "Inherently Accurate". Lol.

Yes they can be. I'v a large frame 6.5 AR factory (added POF trigger & Odin adj gas block), the thing is precise at all ranges, with boxed & reloads. It's pretty cool to put multiple hits on steel, in very short order!

Any reasons or just an opinion?
Like I said, IMtO. I am a hunter, not a target shooter. To me, with a couple of expensive exceptions, AR's are chambered for intermediate range cartridges. This doesn't even address the issues of feeding a precision cartridge in a semi auto. I did say they can ve very accurate. I have a custom .22 Nosler upper that is SCARY accurate with 68 gr Hornady's. This is even shot semi auto, and fed through the mag. It can be done. they are a blast to shoot. This will end up like the other thread about "Inherent Accuracy" Depends on what your definition of accurate is, and how far. The AR platform is the most consistently accurate semi auto design I am aware of.

The more complicated you make a fire arm the harder it is to tune it and the chances for more issues. actions that have no moving parts during firing tent to be easier to load for and potentially more accurate.

for bolt guns.

J E CUSTOM

I don't think the best semi could hold a match to the best bolt gun for all those reasons. But for their purpose and within their intended parameters there are many situations where a semi is better or just as good as a bolt gun.

Like I said, IMtO. I am a hunter, not a target shooter. To me, with a couple of expensive exceptions, AR's are chambered for intermediate range cartridges. This doesn't even address the issues of feeding a precision cartridge in a semi auto. I did say they can ve very accurate. I have a custom .22 Nosler upper that is SCARY accurate with 68 gr Hornady's. This is even shot semi auto, and fed through the mag. It can be done. they are a blast to shoot. This will end up like the other thread about "Inherent Accuracy" Depends on what your definition of accurate is, and how far. The AR platform is the most consistently accurate semi auto design I am aware of.

I see, so for your definition of long range they are not suitable. Gotcha. My intermediate/long range in the southeast US is probably chip shots for someone hunting out west so we'll have to agree to disagree.

But I'd argue my capabilities with a semi-auto, at your definition of intermediate range, probably greatly exceeds 95% of the guys at your local range and their 7mm or whatever flavor their magnum long range capable round is.

I see, so for your definition of long range they are not suitable. Gotcha. My intermediate/long range in the southeast US is probably chip shots for someone hunting out west so we'll have to agree to disagree.

But I'd argue my capabilities with a semi-auto, at your definition of intermediate range, probably greatly exceeds 95% of the guys at your local range and their 7mm or whatever flavor their magnum long range capable round is.
I'm telling you we agree. It just depends on what your definition of "IS" is. They are very good guns.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.