Where to rifle black bear hunt?

So for those who are not familiar with the Adirondack mtns, the Adirondack Park is just under 3x the size of Yellowstone so there is plenty of wilderness, plenty of public land, plenty of access so put your boots on and go get them. There are approximately 6.1 million acres that include more than 10,000 lakes, 30,000 miles of rivers and streams. Limited access with motorized vehicles so you have to watch where you try to go. BUT, awesome float opportunities, plenty of mtns not like Rockies but still 2500-4000' range that are exceptionally steep which bears love. Beaver flows, cedar swamps, cold trout streams, wetlands throughout the park. Find the beech trees in secluded valley and you will find the bears.

I hunted the High Peaks Wilderness area many years ago and killed some nice bucks there so buy deer tag. On a typical 5 full day hunt, I would see ONLY 7-10 deer but would also see 3-5 nice bears and not even hunting them. My last hunt there I heard something very large coming through thickets off beaver flow and I couldn't figure what it was until it stepped out. Awesome moose!

It is somewhat rough hunting at times, know how to navigate since it is thicker than crap in places, mountains can play with GPS signal, cell phones may not work since NO towers are allowed off major thoroughfares, townships etc.

This is not hunted that hard back in so you may just find yourself in beautiful wilderness all by yourself. I would spike camp to enjoy it the most. Water everywhere BUT needs filtering since there are beavers, muskrats etc in water. Its a great place to hunt, prob not to many LR shots except for ridge to ridge MAYBE but close and personal. I still carried my Sendero 300WM in case I needed to explain to a bear I am not edible.

Here is example of typical bucks you can come across, not monsters but nice and when pulling out 5-7 miles just big enough! There are some old mossyback bucks that are studs anywhere but just got to go after them deep. Gorgeous territory as you can see from photos. Haha! Pics before beard and I still had SOME hair.! Boy do I miss hunting there! My best bud who lived in NY and hunted with me there can no longer hunt due to surviving brain cancer and ravaged by the horrible disease. So I haven't been back for a lot of reasons, just not the same without your hunting pard.
008_5A.JPG
016_13A.JPG
024_21A.JPG
025_22A.JPG
011_8B.jpg

Last edited:
Washington does have a long season because you can't bait the bears. Fair chase hunting only. That mean sitting and watching a hillside hoping a bear will walk out. Scouting is a must for a successful hunt. You have to know where the berries are and when they are ripe. 25-30,000 resident black bear with color phase being 1 out of 8 bears. You can have 2 fall tags and draw for a spring tag.

So for those who are not familiar with the Adirondack mtns, the Adirondack Park is just under 3x the size of Yellowstone so there is plenty of wilderness, plenty of public land, plenty of access so put your boots on and go get them. There are approximately 6.1 million acres that include more than 10,000 lakes, 30,000 miles of rivers and streams. Limited access with motorized vehicles so you have to watch where you try to go. BUT, awesome float opportunities, plenty of mtns not like Rockies but still 2500-4000' range that are exceptionally steep which bears love. Beaver flows, cedar swamps, cold trout streams, wetlands throughout the park. Find the beech trees in secluded valley and you will find the bears.

I hunted the High Peaks Wilderness area many years ago and killed some nice bucks there so buy deer tag. On a typical 5 full day hunt, I would see ONLY 7-10 deer but would also see 3-5 nice bears and not even hunting them. My last hunt there I heard something very large coming through thickets off beaver flow and I couldn't figure what it was until it stepped out. Awesome moose!

It is somewhat rough hunting at times, know how to navigate since it is thicker than crap in places, mountains can play with GPS signal, cell phones may not work since NO towers are allowed off major thoroughfares, townships etc.

This is not hunted that hard back in so you may just find yourself in beautiful wilderness all by yourself. I would spike camp to enjoy it the most. Water everywhere BUT needs filtering since there are beavers, muskrats etc in water. Its a great place to hunt, prob not to many LR shots except for ridge to ridge MAYBE but close and personal. I still carried my Sendero 300WM in case I needed to explain to a bear I am not edible.

Here is example of typical bucks you can come across, not monsters but nice and when pulling out 5-7 miles just big enough! There are some old mossyback bucks that are studs anywhere but just got to go after them deep. Gorgeous territory as you can see from photos. Haha! Pics before beard and I still had SOME hair.! Boy do I miss hunting there! My best bud who lived in NY and hunted with me there can no longer hunt due to surviving brain cancer and ravaged by the horrible disease. So I haven't been back for a lot of reasons, just not the same without your hunting pard.
View attachment 401688View attachment 401689View attachment 401690View attachment 401691View attachment 401692
Agree with the Adirondacks. Have hunted there for many years. State set aside called 'Forever Wild'. My avatar is in the Adirondacks.