What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

Song dogs is a common term for coyotes in Oregon too.
Saber-tooth buzz worm= rattle snake
Speed goat= antelope
Sage rat= ground squirel
whistle pigs=prarrie dogs(not in Oregon)
Thunder chicken= big tom turkey
Swamp donkey= can refer to Black Tailed Deer or Rosevelt Elk in the Coast Range
Prarrie chickens= sage grouse etc.
Some of the terminology is well known, some more local. A Leurgeon is a mythical beast known to steal sox, ammo, essential camping/hunting/fishing supplies, and make weird noises that require investigation in the middle of the night. A.K.A Trolls
I dont know what you guys down south call Gators, so your not alone in the odd terminology of critters Chas1. Plus youve got fish Ive never hered of too.

Winmag, thanks for the list...can't promise I'll remember them all. Gators are known as Trouble:)especially in da swamp or a John boat that's smaller than the Gator you just trolled up on.

I'm not sure how I replied as Swift One. That is an old OLD forum name. i heard song dogs a while back and it stuck like glue. Another fav is Hillbilly Duck Hunting= crow hunting.

Well, we've taken this thread on a round about ride! I'll try to get back in line. I am surprized at the number of larger calibers used/mentioned here. I must be gettin' old and soft as, more and more, I lean toward the 6.5MM's and smaller, especially when I'm popin' at vermin. :D

I have a Ruger #1 in 22-250 w/ a 6-18x Swift. I've heard nothing but good things over the years about the 22-250 but true... you should stay away from the shoulder with the fragmenting bullets.

I started using a Savage 99C in a 308, 130gr HP. That was a fun gun, then I got into a BLR 81 in a 270 135 gr Sierra Matchking HPBT with R-19, great grouping 1.5" a 200yrds sandbag on the front. I am presently setting up a BLR Lightweight 243 for my son, 85 gr Sierra Matchking HPBT with R-19, took a crow @ 140 yrds off a fence post, very impressed. We had a bounty on the feet of coyotes in Saskatchewan, furs are worthless, 270 makes a little mess, but I'll guarantee no runners. I love my 270, it took 15 deer the first hunting season, it's abit of gun for coyotes, but a great all arounder. Haven't had the 243 long enough to say, it shows alot of promise, but I love the feel and sound of my 270. I'd like to try a 300 mag, time will tell. Tell me if I'm crazy???

Nah, I don't think your crazy. 243 would be my choice, simple but effective, a 270 sounds like it would be ok. The 300wm...you'll have to let us know how that works for ya.

I use a 223 for coyotes until i purchased a 243. Love it for coyotes. I shoot 70 gr Nosler and Sierra BT for them. Great knock down power and father reach than my 223. I carry my 243 more because my hunting buddy carries a AR15 for coyotes and he carries more ammo if needed to finish the job with his AR. I also have a 25-06 i was going to use for coyotes but had problems with the chamber so i am waiting for it to return with a new barrel. I am going to reload the 06 with 85 gr pills for coyotes. Well let us know what kind of load you come up with for your 25-06.

I can not wait to put an 87 grain Speer TNT into a coyote in Pennsylvania naxt month. You are not allowed to wood chuck hunt until after 12:00 PM, so calling coyotes will be a morning treat. I havent ever done it before.
(Hopefully) Pics to follow.

Mike, pics are always welcome:). Good luck with the hunting let us know how it goes.

I also have a 25-06 i was going to use for coyotes but had problems with the chamber so i am waiting for it to return with a new barrel. I am going to reload the 06 with 85 gr pills for coyotes. Well let us know what kind of load you come up with for your 25-06.[/QUOTE]

I had a problem with my chamber in my first barreled action on my Remington Sendero, I had to return it, the new one has an out of round chamber too - I can only reload full length sized cases in it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.