Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

7.62x39mm! Dodged too many of them in Nam.
I read an interesting article about why the 7x57 (7mm Mauser) never took off in the US was because the Spanish used it against us in Cuba and the Philippines in the Spanish American War. Nothing like a good war to make us despise everything about the other side hahahaha

I read an interesting article about why the 7x57 (7mm Mauser) never took off in the US was because the Spanish used it against us in Cuba and the Philippines in the Spanish American War. Nothing like a good war to make us despise everything about the other side hahahaha
I've heard that too…the long standing American aversion to metric cartridges having to do with being on the receiving end of such things as the 7x57, 8x57, 7.7 and 6.5 arisaka…. In ww2 and earlier.

I take that assessment with a grain of salt but it checks out.

I've also read that the drive to modern high velocity smallbore bottleneck cartridges on America's part was somewhat accelerated after suffering such brutal casualties in proportion to how many guys were on each side of that conflict in that Spanish American war, the Americans armed with those 45-70s I decried earlier 🤣, the Spaniards with 7x57 Mauser bolt guns.

The 6.5CM derangement syndrome always makes me laugh, I feel that it makes otherwise intelligent people lose objectivity. Cartridges are just tools like anything else, you pick the right one for the job.
Once I looked at 6.5-284 and 6.5 Wby RPM, I lost all interest in the 6.5 Creedmore. What's it good for ? Why in a world of perfectly good 6.5's did someone think think we needed a Creedmore?

7mm Rem Mag

I love to love the creedmoor out of hate 🤣. I don't even have one (and I won't- more of a .270 guy for that range of application)! But at this point the mob mentality groupthink in my circles is to hate in the 6.5 creed so just to go against the grain i'll recommend it haha. Anything that gets new shooters, especially young shooters, into our sport is friend not foe! Plus it's just fun making the hyper-masculine/insecure and loud types uncomfortable 🤣.

I don't hate any cartridge but I will say the 7mm rem mag always seemed like a wasted opportunity. A bit of a turd. Okay fine I'll say it

THE 7mm REM MAG IS A TURD!!!! 🤣

At least with how Remington handled it. Give it no freebore and a SAAMI kpsi limit notably weaker than the 270 or .300 win mag and voila! A belted magnum that barely outperforms the .270 Winchester while requiring a longer barrel, heavier rifle, burning more powder for more blast and recoil, and costing more money. And doesn't hold a candle to the .300 Winnie for a true all purpose North American hammer of a cartridge.

The original 7mm mashburn is a beast. And yhe 7mm weatherby is about perfect. Same capacity as the rem mag but appropriate psi allowed and the freebore lets it shine.
Agree. Only I do respect Remington for supporting our well loved ancient wildcat the 35 Whelen. While I personally don't see a point in any 7mm, I do have to hand it to Remington for creating and selling the 7mm RM - so many people like it! Just not me...

Possibly the worst cartridge ever made
Never had one, never shot one, never wanted one. If a 270 will do it, then a 30-06 will do it better. No excuse for this cartridge. 6.5-06 is what it should have been. No need ever for a 280 or a 270 - just a worthless narrow hole someone mistakenly thought needed plugging. The stupid things should be outlawed.

The 7mm Rem mag as factory loaded has a lot of room to increase performance, even when constrained to 3.34. Factory 700's and clones have plenty of mag space to gain a lot of performance with heavies. Likewise, I have a Tikka with 3.715 AICS mags. They generally don't come twisted for heavies from the factory, but I've been able to launch 175's even at sea level with the 1:9.5's. The 7PRC will be a great boon for shooting .284 175's in 3.34 length magazines.
one small emendation...get a 30-06 !