Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

WHY??? Years ago I hunted with a guy that had one and was extremely impressed with its results and, since then, talking with various hunters who have had one had nothing but praise for it. Not once did I ever hear of someone who disliked it let alone hated it.
These are the guys who would only own a xiphos, arguing it's superior to a rapier. I'll probably go alogn with them when they say they can do more damage throwing a 257 Roberts than by shooting it, it's "just that good".

Dude…the thread is about hate, not "well I respect it but it isn't for me" 🤣🤣🤣🤣

If that's hate I think a lot more people hate me than I've realized 😁.

I love weatherby and what they stand for. But if I didn't handload you'd never see me with a rifle chambered in their cartridges as I'm not independently wealthy 🤣. As it stands I enjoy my vanguard in .257 wby. Fun little gun.

And the 340 always seems underrated. The 378 leaving no question about its efficacy. People argue about small bullets going fast and big bullets going slow…the .378 is the OG BEAST with a big bullet going fast! Hard to argue with it IF YOU CAN WITHSTAND IT 😁
I agree. Let's get a little balance in the discussion...

I concur……standing, shooting offhand, especially when motivated by a large, potentially game animal reduces felt recoil!

As for the small framed guy…..I've had a theory about that for many years! I firmly believe that a small guy is less affected by recoil than a heavier, large framed shooter.

The theory explained! The lighter shooter will begin to move with recoil quicker and farther with the recoil, than will the heavier shooter moving more slowly thereby absorbing "more" recoil!

That's my story and I'm stick'n to it! 😉 memtb
Absolutely true.
.308 and anything Creedmore. I have hated the .308 since I was a teenager. I've never owned one or shot one. A good shooting .30-06 will do everything better than a .308. I see no point in the cartridge.
My wife shoots a 7-08. I was skeptical when I bought it. But she's put 2 antelope and a cow elk on the ground with it. So it's working well for her.
Don't thonk I need to explain the Creedmore!
I agree. I was just sitting down to write "Creedmore" when you reminded me of the 308. A giant step backward for no good reason, I'd be ashamed to have one.

The 308 Winchester is for little girly-men who can't handle the myth, the legend, the BACK TO BACK, UNDEFEATED, 2-0 FOR ALL ETERNITY WORLD WAR CHAMPION 30-06 Springfield.

I will die on this hill, M1 Garand in hand, laughing because as long as I can keep the little 308 boys at least 700 yards away the magic anti-308 force field will protect me.

If a genie told me the trade off for making the 308 Win disappear from the world would be having to shove a 6.5 Creedmoor up my own arse every morning I would make that sacrifice for the sake of humanity. I would ask for one caveat of being able to shoot lightning bolts out of said arse, because isn't a 6.5 CM basically a lightning bolt?

braveheart GIF
Even the thought of a Creedmore or a 308 makes me angry.

aaaarrrrrgggggghhhh!
I mean it is a jack of all trades and a master of NONE!!!!! 😁😁😁🥴🥴🥴😝😝😝

I have a .270 and a .300 win mag so honestly just don't have a use or need for the .308 or the .30-06 or the 7mm rem or…a lot of things haha. But I do respect the .30-06. It's what I got my first deer with when I was 13, a Remington 7600 pump gun borrowed from a neighbor that made me feel like I wielded the hammer of Thor

Quite a few of the "hated" cartridges here are ones we use frequently. We have a 6.5 creed; it's been a good paper puncher and has taken a couple of deer for us.
The 270 shoots fine too. I've got exactly 1 shot in the field with a 270 and I took a mule deer with it. Heck, it wasn't even my rifle. My brother handed me his rifle while he was dressing a deer. My rifle was on my back between my shoulders and a doe popped out. I simply asked if there were rounds in the rifle (he said yes), lapped one in the m70, and settled in dropping the deer with a shot.
The 7rem is a bit of a dog, but we've used it off and on and it fights just about at its pay grade. A 140 at 3K to 3200 fps is a good mid range deer load.
The 30-06 is a chambering I'll probably always own one rifle in. I shot my first buck with one, and I've hunted, target shot, and varmint hunted with one. All with a 165 doing 2800-2900 fps depending on the barrel.
The 7-08 and 308... Well, these are a bit lethargic in rifles, but they make splendid pistol cartridges for a Striker. I've shot groups with these pistols over the years that would make a lot of rifles envious. My Pops had a 308 that would stack sub bullet diameter groups all day long. My kid dropped his deer with a 7-08 Striker this year.

I'm not really a fan of any of the AI chamberings. The only reason they make any real difference is they are overloaded because the reduced bolt thrust fools people into thinking they are loading milder than they really are.
I weep for you friend...it's only your right hand holding an '06 above the surface of the lake that's saving your soul....

That 7600 was what really kicked off my interest in high performance rifle cartridges. Before that I had grown up on iron sight 30-30 and .303 British, a scoped .30-06 felt like a quantum leap forward and I was in love.

The big fireball muzzle flash, the chest thumping kaboom, the way it hit my scrawny preteen shoulder like it MEANT IT, the way i could just hold on hair to 300 yards. Ah, such fond memories.

You know what, forget I said anything about the .30-06 in the first place 🤣

Personally the 30-06 is one of my favorites, hard hitting as well as accurate. One cannot blame the 30-06 for ignorance. Yes it does have a pretty good wallop so one would think that knowing this Daddy or Grandpa would not hand a 12 year old a 30-06. Unfortunately that is not so. I am a Hunter Safety Instructor and it is surprising how many parents and grandparents do just that. The thought process which is obviously flawed is that either the rifle is a hand me down from grandpa or I want to buy the kid a rifle he/she will be able to shoot for life. Instead give them something to start out with that is accurate and a good choice for the game one is going to be hunting. My son started out with a .243 and worked his way up from there. I do totally agree about anything Creedmoor or just about anything else that is hyped. Stick to the basics. They have been around for a long time and will still be around for many more decades simply because they do the job and do it well. Looking over my shoulder back over more years than I care to think about how many of the new super wildcats that were hyped were famous, then died off much like the 6.5 Creedmoor is starting to do. Lots of them on the used gun racks these days.
I was introduce to the rifle by a Model 94 30-30. I couldn't wait to shoot the military-stocked '06 because it pained so little by comparison.

Yeah I was on the fence about 6 years ago when I started going down the Grendel path. I didn't want to be forced to reload only for a wildcat AR cartridge. So I went 6.5 Grendel due to cheap factory options then and headstamped brass. Knowing what I know now I should have just bought a Dillon 750 press and cranked out a decent 6mm version of the Grendel. The 6.5 Grendel aint horrible its just very very boring.
I'm sorry, I forgot what you just said...

Recent Posts