What would you choose to hunt black tail deer

I grew up in myrtle point, Agness, Port orford, Elkton, clatskanie and honestly believe after hunting over 20 states and 40 years the coastal public land rifle season blacktail buck is the most difficult of all north American deer with only the rifle season roosevelt 3 point or better bull exceeding it in difficulty in North America...

The black tail buck will be harvested in the rain from 6ft to 600 yards and EVERYWHERE INBETWEEN and the shot MUST be made usually in less than 5 seconds!!!

An excellent low light 2- 10 up to 4-20 optic with horus reticle high quality scope caps adjusted to be flipped up instinctively as you pic up the rifle with a hammer, gmx or barnes in 6.5/06 AI would be my choice after my experiences taking 20+ blacktails....

I really like being able to take a Texas heart shot if I have to if a wary buck gets the drop on me..

Never can have too much optic trying to find that 1 fork needed on those beautiful reddish antlers during the last week of October or first weekend of November!!!

Last Blacktail I shot in Etna (Siskiyou County, CA ) was at 35 yards - with a bow and arrow. So why the great need for sub MOA?
But that being said, I see nothing wrong with either the 260 Remington (first choice) or a 6mm cal (243 Winchester or 6mm Remington). These are not large deer, compared to a big Midwest Whitetail or Mulie

Jeep.jpg

Well I hunt the same areas in coastal Oregon. As many post, you likely have a shot at less than 100 yards much of the time, but then, how about that buck that stepped out of the woods across the 500yd clear cut? So for those that question 1 MOA; placing the shot where you need to place it and having the legs on the gun when you need it are worthy objectives. Having the confidence in your shooting is the most important thing to me.

I would go with the 260, of your choices. That is what my wife shoots. I think the advice about which one you shoot best with is the choice. IMHO, any of those will work and the choice of scope is as important as any of the other points made. All of my scopes have a good range in power, 2 - 10s, 3 - 15s, and a 3 -18. I dial them down when in the deep woods, but if I am sitting over a clearcut or looking across the canyon, I've got them dialed up. Good light collection is your friend on the Oregon coast during the rainy deer season.

I usually carry my 7mm Mag, because I am comfortable with it and confident I can hit what I shoot at. If it is raining really hard, I pull-out the stainless 25-06. Just setup a new Tikka 6.5 CM, expecting an antelope hunt and future mulie hunts on the east side, carrying a Zeiss V6 3-18. I will be taking it deer hunting since everything I shoot out of it is <0.75 MOA, it is cerakoted, and light. I have confidence I can hit what I aim at with it and it encompasses all of the things I like but my other two choices.

Good luck!

I grew up in myrtle point, Agness, Port orford, Elkton, clatskanie and honestly believe after hunting over 20 states and 40 years the coastal public land rifle season blacktail buck is the most difficult of all north American deer with only the rifle season roosevelt 3 point or better bull exceeding it in difficulty in North America...

The black tail buck will be harvested in the rain from 6ft to 600 yards and EVERYWHERE INBETWEEN and the shot MUST be made usually in less than 5 seconds!!!

Agree with is 1000%....

Of the calibers you listed, i would chose the 260. It never failed me while living in Oregon and Washington. It's done equally well on Whitetails here in Idaho. But I have to throw in the 250 Savage AI for being easy to carry; a joy to shoot, and equally effective. For greater distance I stepped up to my 25:06 or 240 Gibbs. Sooooo many great choices; so few tags.

Oregon black tail.. the best deer round I know is 110 to 120 grain 270 Win. the 270 WSM does not toss light slugs well as the 270 Win. in this case I would use a 260 Rem.. no matter how much I despise the 6.5 MM caliber.

Take them all......do as I do.....flip coins to see which leaves the trucks cab for the day......
But....
Having grown up in the same area as BDyal......knowing what "dropping of a ridge into thick nasty viney maple..black berries..and salal" really means......go light and have fun.....
Pays to have extra clothes in the truck....sucks smelling your own sweat heading home.....
PS......there was a BDyal there abouts when I was there abouts......but his first name.....was........
BBBBRRRRRIIIIIICCCCCEEEEE.....
You'd understand if I am correct......
😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts