What tire chains?

We call them "Jack Alls" and they are dangerous but if you are buried in the mud up to you axels they are the only things that will lift you high enough to break the suction from the goo and allow you to put slabs under your wheels. I keep a short piece of chain in my truck box and have hooks on my front axles so I can put the jack in the middle and lift. It's either that or walk out and try and find help. I also carry a small chainsaw to cut slabs to put under the tires and the jack to keep it from sinking.

I have a pair of chains in my Garage in a cabinet. I must have bought them 20 years ago, I don't even have a truck now. If you are in WI you can have them for $40. I hauled them back and forth to WY several times. I think I used them one time in WI.
Now I don't drive anywhere I would use chains.

I've been in the Wyoming mountains the last 2 years elk hunting. So far, I haven't needed chains for my tires but believe I should have some in my truck especially since it's 2WD. What chains do y'all recommend? I know nothing about chains since I live where it snows every five years or so.

Thanks,

DoubleG
Consider diamond pattern chains. They have a lot less less vibration and noise.

Some good info in here. A couple of tow straps, chains, and a shovel can really make a huge difference--they did for me and a couple guys last year out in eastern Montana.

I've been in the Wyoming mountains the last 2 years elk hunting. So far, I haven't needed chains for my tires but believe I should have some in my truck especially since it's 2WD. What chains do y'all recommend? I know nothing about chains since I live where it snows every five years or so.

Thanks,

DoubleG

Thanks,

DoubleG
Anyone going into the mountains should have chains, not just for snow and ice, but often will help in mud. A couple of thoughts for you:
1. Just because the box says it will fit a range of tires, they may not fit yours. If buying them new in a store, ask if they don't fit, can they be returned? A lot of truck tires aren't exact as to width due to tread design. So if you buy them, try them on immediately when you get home/back to where you are staying, or do it in the parking lot.
2. The second issue relates to the first. Those who have never put them on, are seen all over highways, laying in the snow trying to figure them out. If you have an old set, once you have them on, get some paint and paint the connecting links with a different color so that it is apparent what link in the proper one to attach the hooks to--it makes it simple then.

Out west one of the dangers when chains are needed is that although you may be OK to drive, those without chains may still be trying to get down the road and are sliding all over the place, hitting other cars, rocks, guard rails, and trees. A number of years ago we were on Big Bear Mountain in CA when a freak snow storm hit dumping 12" of snow. I had to buy chains (first set that was supposed to fit didn't), and while headed the 20+ miles down the mountain OK, we were almost hit five or six times and saw dozens of accidents which occurred all around us.

Lots of great advice, but in snowy/icy conditions I have had way better luck with V-bar chains in the back and smaller square link diamond pattern up front than I have with the big heavy "mud" chains. The large links of the mud chains seemed to slide some on off-camber snow/ice covered mountain trails. I have never had the V-bar chains do that.
If you are taking a 2wd in the mountains (or a 4wd, for that matter), make sure you have plenty of weight in the bed, tire chains, a good quality hand operated come-along, heavy duty tow STRAPS OR ROPE with loops and clevis'- no hooks on the ends and definitely NO CHAINS for pulling, and a good short handle shovel. I also keep a hi-lift jack for last resorts, but have actually used it more as a come-along than as a jack. Like others have said-they are dangerous so be EXTREMELY careful jacking with them.
Good luck and good hunting!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.