What caliber?

What distance?

Is this an elk gun or a gun you would also use for elk as needed though not it's primary purpose?

Do you mean cartridge or are you acually meaning caliber?

I have taken a cow, and my brother took 2 cows with a .243 85gr BT. My go to elk gun is a 7mmRM. I did take a cow one year with s 444 marlin.

Put a minimum of 1500 ft/lb of energy into an elk with a well constructed bullet in the "vitals" and the vast majority of the time you will get the job done! I took 4 elk this year with 4 different weapons all one shot kills! With years of elk experience and over 100 personal successful kills and having witnessed a couple hundred more I hope my bad decisions on shot placement and weapon choices are behind me!

If I'm going on an elk hunt, I'm paying a good bit and driving over 1K miles. I'm taking .284 (280 Ackley or 7 mag) minimum with either a 140-145 gr mono or greater or a 160 gr accubond. I'd kill elk with less, but going for a dedicated elk hunt that's the minimum I'd take.

If you can be assured of a shorter shot, a 12 gauge shotgun with slugs would work. Some areas in Montana require it. frankly I wouldn't pay serious $$ and use one to hunt. Also I believe that the rangers in Yellowstone or Glacier use them to take problem bears.

Personally, I'd look at 6.5mm 140gn as getting on the small side of ok if I was in a pinch and the shot was close enough. I'd prefer something like a 180gn 7mm or .30 cal somewhere up over 200gn. Bullet construction would be the thing I'd pay attention to though. I've taken elk size game with a .338WM with 225gn tipped bullets at 300m and wasn't entirely stoked with the bullet performance as the bullet construction wasn't quite tough enough. Those pills would have been better on something a good bit smaller like a bear. There was plenty of power but penetration still suffered and it left almost no blood trail.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.