What caliber?

will a 308Win work?

I think .308 Win/ 7.62x51mm NATO/ T-65 or whatever they want to call it has been working for years and doing a pretty darn good job. Is there a better .30 calibers, sure just like there are worst .30 caliber... I think much of the key too success with it is; you've just got to hit them in a vital zone within an acceptable range for the cartridge and hunters ability. Just a thought.

7 pages and nobody mentioned 308Win I just found that pretty hard to believe.

what would you prefer, 150,165 or 180gr in 308Win with nosler partition?

i'm leading after that with Nosler 165 ballistic tip or Sierra 165 game king....300yd max

Smallest caliber would be be 10mm auto with a 220 hard cast. But shots would have to be under 75yards. That said, a 6.5 creedmoor with 130-147s is fine.

i'm leading after that with Nosler 165 ballistic tip or Sierra 165 game king....300yd max

Partition/accubond/trophy bonded tip or similar style bullet would be more "ideal" in most instances. Better penetration, more flexible on shot placement (can slam them through shoulder(s) depending on range) and I'd personally go heavy for caliber 180-200gr.
All that said, people have been taking elk with VLD/BT/soft-explody bullets with great success as well, so...:confused:

7 pages and nobody mentioned 308Win I just found that pretty hard to believe.

I'd find nothing wrong with Sierra 165gr Mk SP BT... it's a fine hunting bullet. I think I might like to try the Nosler 168gr Ballistic Tip, the 168gr weight in .30 caliber bullets and profile have always been a good performer in the .308 Win as is the Berger 168gr VLD game bullet, but... perhaps the real "sweet spot" is Berger 175gr VLD game bullet in a .308 Win this is my choice overall it shoots neck and neck with Sierra 175gr Mk's in my rifles... so I'm thinking, for a hunting that's not bad. Just my thought on the question... Cheer's

whatever is in my hands at the time.

Just about any centerfire that was in my hands at the time, so long as it was legal wherever I happened to be. In my home state of Colorado that means a .243 or larger. The least powerful I've used is a .44 Mag/240gJSP @ 1881fps and a .257 Roberts/120g A-Frame @ 2947fps. The most powerful is either my .45-70/350g JFP @ 2181fps or my .338WM/225g AB @ 2742fps.

I think marksmanship is more important than the cartridge. That comes from practice/experience in the field with your selected caliber and knowing what you and it can do.

7mm or a .30 cal is perfect

30-06 with a 175grain bullet. Hunted 5 hard seasons for Oregon coastal elk. Have yet to get a shot on one. When the day comes that I do get a shot. I want to be confident im using enough gun. Ive carried my 30-06 and my 350 rem mag. I feel good about both.

Hey Skim, Just my .02 worth and I'd say your rifle should be fine for the area you're hunting. I have plenty of guys I know who use the 30-06 and have done very well bringing their animals down.
Shot placement is what is the key to most kills, and if you're comfortable with the rifle I'd stick with it. Hhardrock

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts