What is your preferred scope reticle calibration?

What is your preferred scope reticle calibration?

• MOA

Votes: 835 80.8%
  • mRad

Votes: 199 19.2%

• Total voters
Both do the same thing, you can use a mildot master for either or a formula for either. I use MOA mostly but I have some mil/mil scopes. As long as your reticle matches your turrets I believe you are doing great. I was taught by great shooters that used MOA only and I started my learnig curve with that. Since I have met great shooters that prefer mils and say they are easier so I have tried it too. With a good scope and good drop chart I have no problem getting hits with either system. I can range about the same with either one and do fine within the limits I give myself. I won;t take a long shot if I used my reticle to range my target but will if my vectronix has told me a good reading. YOu can't go wrong with either system. Again. I prefer MOA because as a land surveyor I use it more than mils and our measurements with survey equipment are much finer. But that being said, I can tie in a long survey just as tight with mils as I can MOA because essentially you are doing the same exact thing. Hope I made sense.

MOA for me and I have never tracked anything I sqeezed around off towards, they are always laying right where they were standing. So, it must work. Don't fix it, if it ain't broke.

My team mates & I are noobs to long range shooting and after some careful consideration have decided to go with the Mil-Dot system. We all know the math and since we are all starting out "Clean" so to speak who learned the "Milliradian" or "Mil-Rad" or "Mil-Dot" system from the get go I would have to say it is a good plan. I'll let you know later how that works out! lol

A mil is a mil. My reticle is my ruler, i dont care what it translates to. If i need to add .3 right or up thats what i do

Minute of Angle. I grew up with it and I'm too old to change now. Sort of like metric tools. You need a few to perform maintenance on your car but good old SAE still works fine....

I don't need to adjust to the world, the world needs to adjust to me.....:D
+......whatever!

When it comes to MOA vs MRAD, it truly doesn't matter as long as the knobs match the reticle. Either Mil/Mil or Moa/Moa they are both equal.

i have both M.O.A. on nightforce but my sightron is Milrad which i cannot use and cant find out how to use !!!!!!!!!!
Mils and minutes are simply different units of measure that work the exact same way. you use a mil reticle the exact same way you use a moa reticle. one mil is 3.6 inches a 100 yards, 18 inches at 500 yards, and 36 inches at 1000 yards. each click on a mil turret is one tenth of a mil. If you see in your reticle that the round struck .5 mils left of center, simply add 5 click to the right. ten clicks equal one mil. the math formulas are also exactly the same. you simply use a difference constant for mils than for minutes. you estimate range and hold off your target the exact same way. The two are so much alike that if you are proficient in one its a waist of time to learn the other. If used correctly the end result is exactly the same. If you have neither, I am of the opinion that mils are easier to learn because mils work in factors of 10. some people mistakenly believe that mils are metric. this is not true. mils simply subtend units of ten.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.