What Is Your Longest Shotgun Slug Big Game Kill?

What Is Your Longest Shotgun Slug Big Game Kill?

• 0 to 50 YDS

Votes: 54 17.0%
  • 51 to 100 YDS

Votes: 79 24.9%
  • 101 to 150 YDS

Votes: 76 24.0%
  • 151 to 200 YDS

Votes: 53 16.7%
  • 201 to 250 YDS

Votes: 36 11.4%
  • Over 250 YDS

Votes: 19 6.0%

• Total voters
This is almost comical. MY WIFE HAS ME BEAT!!! Her Bull moose unit 60a in Idaho, 50 yds. My record book Gemsbook in Limpopo South Africa 12 yds on the run. Lion going to taste me right after the Gemsbook shot at 2 feet. I did not even try to wash those pants, they went right in the campfire. I even have pictures to show on this one!:)

Now those are pictures i'd like to see!

My longest kill was just a shade under 110 yards on a coyote. I was about 13 and checking cows, they were all over the place and had broken through the fence. After a quick look around a found a bunch of young coyote pups chasing everything that moved till I started chasing them with the pickup, they ran under a fence so I stepped out with my .410 snake gun with one 1/5 ounce slug and whipped one at the closest one, and he flew headlong butt over tincups. After pacing it out from the fence to him and looking closer I had hit him right where his spine met his skull and really ruined his day, although at 200Lbs of energy at that range the tail end of the slug was still visible in the wound.
No, I don't think I could ever do that again in a million years, but at that time I thought I was about the coolest thing since canned beer and wool socks!

My best is a single shot was at a broad side mature 8 pointer at 205 yards, using 12ga, 2.75" 385 grain Winchester PG's. Kind of a funny story about the shot. Was partisipaiting in a deer drive that before and during which I received a lot of ribbing about my fancy bolt action Marlin, as they had just come out a year or two ago, as everyone else was hunting with 870s or 1100's and a few 1300's, a few but not many wearing a scope.

I was a stander during the last drive when the drivers kicked up the above mentioned 8 pointer. The drivers unloaded on him with more shots than I could count, but didn't even graze a hair. As the buck was angling more or less towards but more parallel to me across a harvested bean field, he had slowed to a fast walk, I was then joined by a fellow stander. He remarked "why don't you give it a try with your fancy scoped rig?" so I did. In antisipation of a possible shot had already been hitting the deer with my range finder and had my shooting sticks ready, so I quickly sat down and readied my 512 on my sticks. Just as I got the cross hairs on him he paused just before going into the woods at 200 or so yards. I put the cross hairs on the top of his back and fired. I was utterly amazed to see him get nocked flat on his side. He struggled briefly to get back up but never regained his footing.

Most who saw it guessed the yardage as much farther than it actually was, and I had to confirm it with my range finder before they believed me it was 205 yards and not closer to 275 or more.

Did not receive any more abuse about my "fancy scoped rig", but did get asked where they could buy one.

He is a result of the Remington accutip sabot slugs. So far I am real happy with them. Encore pro-hunter fully rifled slug barrel: shots touching or closer at 50yds.
Pic of a recent doe kill.
image.jpg

What Is The Range Of Your Longest Shotgun Slug Big Game Kill?

Hey Len I'm newb here and I love this site, my longest slug kill is a 8 pt 230lb buck at a 302 ranged yards with a custom bansner bolt action slug gun with a good 3.5x10x50 scope 3inch copper solids and I would never shoot past this because of ballistic's

208 yards.Remington 870 using Federal Barnes 2 3/4 in slugs.The second longest was 168 with an 870 with a rifled choke tube using lightfield slugs.Both kills were does

148 yrds , Rem. 870 Mag w/Hastings rifled barrel with cantilever scope mount , Buckmasters 3x9x40 , Hornady 300 gr. Sabot's.

Nine point Buck , stoned him with one shot.

210 yds. Maverick mdl 88 (basically a Mossberg 500) stock 26" smooth bore barrel with IMP cylinder choke, standard Winchester super x 1 oz foster slug, and double bead sight. I will admit that the shot was at a minimum 50% luck. got her in the lungs though

120 yrds Remington 870 bird barreled and just a bead on it. Dropped him with a shot through both shoulders. Sad part I missed a doe from 60 yrds the week before lol steep down hill shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.