What Is Your Longest Shotgun Slug Big Game Kill?

What Is Your Longest Shotgun Slug Big Game Kill?

• 0 to 50 YDS

Votes: 54 17.0%
  • 51 to 100 YDS

Votes: 79 24.9%
  • 101 to 150 YDS

Votes: 76 24.0%
  • 151 to 200 YDS

Votes: 53 16.7%
  • 201 to 250 YDS

Votes: 36 11.4%
  • Over 250 YDS

Votes: 19 6.0%

• Total voters
You've got many firsts here.
Normally, smooth bore shotguns shoot sabot slugs into patterns rather than groups.
Hitting a deer with any rifle sighted slug gun at 260 yards would seem impossible, but on the run ??? Very impressive.
You got much better expansion than I would have predicted, both at entry and exit, for a sabot slug at that range.
Congratulations on making this most unusual shot. How much bullet (slug) drop did you experience?

I guess I not sure what you mean
"Normally, smooth bore shotguns shoot sabot slugs into patterns rather than groups"
as I said it was purely a lucky shot as for how much drop I couldnt tell you I just aimed very high and led way out in front where the slug came out it hit a rib and made the big exit I have since added a nikon slughunter with BDC scope to my shotgun and have taken several deer from my elevated stand from 55yards to 140 yards in a open field and a coyote at 130 yards all with a slug. I am not an expert marksman but I do shoot alot and did not post the long range shot to bragg I just posted it telling it did happen as the thread starter asked for your longest shot with a slug I was as suprised as the others that I hunt with that seen the shot.

125 yards
Stand hunting a hedgerow in the middle of our farm, I'm watching the far edge, where a buck has been showing himself. I hear a crack, and there are 4 deer below me@ 10 yards. I shoot over the top of the biggest doe, and they scatter. I keep the gun on one which stopped in the middle of the field, and head shot her. What a mess.
Ithaca 37 20guage, open sights lightfield sabots.

I have taken a Whitetail buck at 155 yds with a Marlin 512 shooting Remington Buckhammer 3" Magnum. After I figured out what kind of slugs my gun liked to shoot it has performed well. In Oklahoma's thick blackjacks it really works well on hogs. I have not had to track one yet. Lot's of fun to shoot as well.

118 yds. Remington 1100 fully rifled, cantilever, leupold 2-7x, Hornady SST, 12 ga. Can't see much father than that in the woods here.

Actually it was not my shot, but a friend was building a house next to a corn field.
The owners cousin shot a foster style slug at 134 yards. There was almost zero expansion but the doe died on the spot!
Drove the lawn mower to the field and picked her up :)

edge.

160 yards with a 12ga winchester 1300XTR pump smooth boar imp cyl choke on it and a cheap winchester 2 3/4in slug a $1.99 for 5 slugs.It was the last day of gun season last minutes sun was setting fast and a 8 point buck walk out in to the field I shot at him three time's hit him with the last shot he dropped in his tracks.It was my first buck I killed.

Last edited:
About 75yrds, not a long shot by no means,but what I was impressed with was I was told the barnes expander bullets would not expand unless i hit sholder bone. The corner of the bullet caught a rib. I hit it behind the sholder and It expanded all the way and was stop just by the hide on the other side. I thought the bullet did its job. It was about 100lb doe and it only went 20 yrds.

215 with 11-87 shooting the old winchester supreme 3". Only reason I took that shot was the neighbors wounded a doe and she needed to die.

Somewhere in the ball park of 250yrds with a Feredal Hydro Shock bullet with a 870 Wingmaster equiped with moms modified vented vib barrel. We had no way of measuring back then but 3 of us walked it off and approximated it to about 250yrds. I was about 15yrs old and we had just got done hunting the last day of the first season in ILL. We were all standing around the truck parked in the field next to the woods waiting on my uncle.He was always the last one out sqeezing the full legal shooting light to it's last minute. My dad and his friend from work were standing with me at the truck when a doe popped out of the brush about 100yrds from us and took of across the field in a hasty trot. My dad and his friend both with Thompson hawkins in hand watched her as I yell shoot her dad. They both laughed and said there is now way anyone is going to hit that deer. I grabbed moms 870 out of the case quickly chambered a round aimed 2 hieghts above and two paces in front of her as she was now a bit farther out. Just before I pulled the trigger my dad said your not going to come close don't bother. I aimed and shot and she kept running. My dad said see told you you'd miss. About 15-20 more steps she started tripping and stagering...then fell over and died. He said, I'll be damned you lucky sucker. NO B.S. I will never forget it to the day I die. They say the sun shines on every dogs a** some day:D

This past year I got my longest kill. About 70 yards with a Remington 870 20 gauge rifle (open) sights. Before that was about 40 yards. I like to hang out in the thick stuff.

147 yards ranged - Hunting from a treestand at the rear corner of one of my fields. I was using a 12 Ga. H&R UltraSlug gun with a Nikon 3x9 Slughunter scope with the BDC reticule and a Limbsaver recoil pad. The 3" non-tipped Federal Barnes Expander sabot slug dropped the 6-point where he stood feeding. 10 mins. into the season and my tag was on an antler.

Suggestions: (1) find out which sabot slug your gun prefers (this can be expensive)
(2) shoot your gun at measured ranges before hand and learn how the preferred slug handles the wind
(3) either use a good rangefinder or mark the field in advance so you know which aim-point to use and where to hold
(4) use a stand with a good rest built-in - any movement while aiming at over 100 yds will be magnified
(5) build your stand so you can hunt with your back to the morning sun

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts