What is the best money you have spent on the shooting sport and why?

While not a huge financial investment thanks to the GI bill, but my time spent going to Colorado school of trades for gunsmithing. Learning the skills necessary to constantly tweak and change things on a rifle to find that next magical combination has definitely increased my capabilities as a hunter and a shooter. It's a special feeling when you build the firearm that shoots the ammunition that you loaded into an animal that will feed your family.

Best investment right here.
Semi-custom build for my younger daughter. She started shooting at 8, and hunting at 10. It has been an awesome ride ever since.

6.5SLR
R700SA trued
Bolt fluted, alloy shroud, CF bolt handle, Ti firing pin
28" 1:8" Bartlein Sendero
Badger Ordinance 3 port side brake
Manners T2A
R700 SA BDL bottom metal
Timney Calvin Elite @ 8oz
Seekins 20MOA Picatinny rail
Seekins 6/4 34mm "low" rings
Kahles K624i 6-24×56 SKMR
Flatline Ops level
140 HVLD @ 2920fps
Longest kill, 171" mule deer at 637 yds (right after this photo)

20161119_072054.jpg

Burnt the first barrel out at 2800 rounds in 5 years, then rebuilt it and lightened it up by 5 full pounds 4 years ago and she has still been stacking up the game with it.

20220813_161246.jpg

6.5SLR (again)
R700SA trued
Bolt fluted, alloy shroud, CF bolt handle, Ti firing pin
22" 1:8" Proof Sendero Light
TBAC CB w TBAC Ultra 7 6.5mm
Manners PRS2 w. Gen 2 mini chassis w. DBM
Timney Calvin Elite @ 8oz
Seekins 20MOA Picatinny rail
Seekins 34mm "Low" rings
S&B PMII 3-20x50 Ultra Short H2CMR
Flatline Ops level
130 OTM @ 2925fps
Longest kill, 73" pronghorn at 771yds (about 30 minutes after this photo)

I made the move to scopes from peep sights when I saw the "older" guys missing deer their eyes couldn't run the peeps anymore. They all soon followed!

Changed from "nasty" licorice to baby ruth and snickers bars to entice the kids to go with dad and sit still more than 20 minutes. They still talk about it today.

Moved from lever 99's to bolts. This was when I joined a camp near a forever wild area and shot distance grew because of the mature forest.

What is the best money you have spent on the shooting sport and why? This is not limited to gear, it could be property, memberships, targets, and of coarse- Rifles! Feel free to add anything that gets you motivated to go to the range.

This is mine:View attachment 439773

Rem 700 LH (trued) 223 wylde
21" Bartlein standard target 1-7 twist
Timney Trigger
Choate Stock (Bedded)
Nightforce aluminum one piece 20MOA base/rings
Bushnell Elite 6-24x50 FFP g2dmr reticle (Mil)
Custom rattle can paint job by me and the kids

Load:
Lapua Brass
75gr eld match
23.8gr Varget
.010 of the lands

I built this back in 2016 and only worked up the initial load before we bought a farm, sold the house, started a business, and built a house. I finally got my stuff out of storage and started playing again in summer of 2022. I'm consistently getting sub MOA with this little(14lb) rifle at 600yds. Its a blast and cheap to shoot- the best money I've spent.

A distant second is a Savage Rascal Target XP 22cal for my son, he pitches a fit to squirrel hunt and beer cans and cow turds don't stand a chance at 200yds on range day. He also steals our 200yd targets with his 22 hits and thinks it funny...
From the more expensive to the cheaper: Getting into .22-250's has brought me countless hours of pleasure. Then getting into .45-70's surprised me at what a hoot they really are to shoot!
Finally, a very simple answer.....one thing that not only brings me & others great fun but also saves money on ammo when zeroing-in are, (by whatever name they go by), SPLATTER TARGETS! 🎯

Medical school was the best investment I ever made for this hobby🤓.

A Remington 700 P .308 taught me to shoot, reload, took game, let me compete in some matches, and needs to be rebuilt at this point. I've moved past it, but wore it out doing so.

I second the Rockchucker kit. I honestly think I have loaded 20,000+ rounds on it, almost all precision rifle ammo.