What is life like in Las Vegas?

Never lived or visited there but one thing when it comes to no state tax. No matter the location they are going to take your money one way or another so check other taxes/fees. I had a buddy move to a no state tax state just to find out every other tax/fee was more than he was accustomed to. Important stuff to consider when looking at cost of living.

I've been to Vegas a few times, mostly for pleasure. Everything along the strip is great when you are a vacationer. The last time I was there I attended a week-long convention. We went to the convention during the daytime and went to shows in the evenings. The one thing that just sticks in my mind was that after leaving a late-night show, I noticed that it was still over 100 degrees! Somehow midnight and 100 degrees shouldn't go together anywhere in the good ol' USA. :D

Yeah thanks I understand what the weather is like there. I've visited Vegas and shot a few competitions there. I lived in areas with the same weather patterns so it's not new, not desirable, but not new to me. What I'm mainly concerned with the hunting opportunities near Vegas. The fishing opportunities I can figure out pretty easily, but the hunting opportunities is a bit more esoteric.

I was offered a job in Las Vegas and haven't been there for 26 years. I'm wondering what the hunting and fishing is like near there. And the general quality of life.
It is too hot, crowded, fast-paced, and has a lot of traffic. The cost of living is high for me, and I am a retired military officer. I turned down a couple of job offers there in the last five years for these reasons, even with a salary increase. My wife and I try to visit Vegas annually, but that's about it. We also almost bought a timeshare but opted not to. But if you can put up with these, and the pay is good enough, go for it. Even with locality pay adjustments and salary increases, it was not enough for me to gamble. Good luck, Brother.

It is too hot, crowded, fast-paced, and has a lot of traffic. The cost of living is high for me, and I am a retired military officer. I turned down a couple of job offers there in the last five years for these reasons, even with a salary increase. My wife and I try to visit Vegas annually, but that's about it. We also almost bought a timeshare but opted not to. But if you can put up with these, and the pay is good enough, go for it. Even with locality pay adjustments and salary increases, it was not enough for me to gamble. Good luck, Brother.
Money is a large factor, but the main draw is I'd be doing something I don't think anyone else has yet. At least in a commercial capacity. Big city life isn't anything I want again.

Money is a large factor, but the main draw is I'd be doing something I don't think anyone else has yet. At least in a commercial capacity. Big city life isn't anything I want again.
Sometimes you have follow your dream and what pays the bills.

I did a cost of living comparison from where I live vs. LV. The cost of living is more expensive in LV by 27% and the median home cost by 43%.

Sometimes you have follow your dream and what pays the bills.

I did a cost of living comparison from where I live vs. LV. The cost of living is more expensive in LV by 27% and the median home cost by 43%.
At this point I'm not too concerned with how much they'll pay me. They'll either make it profitable or not. I'm looking at quality of life. The weather is extremely hot three months out of the year. There are those transition month and about seven months of near perfect weather. City life is a big negative. But you don't have to go far to get out of the city. We'll see how it pans out.

I have worked and stayed in Vegas, plus National Finals Rodeo a bunch.

Nice place to visit for short periods of time if you are there for a specific reason. I don't drink, smoke, gamble, and am very happily married. So not much attraction there for me other than some big events.

Not a fan of the city. ALWAYS under construction for roadwork. Off the strip is dirty and seedy in most parts.

There is some good food there.

If you have any addictive tendencies, stay away. I actually had a coworker quit the company I used to work for just to get away from Vegas. He was in AA and had been sober for years. He worked there for about a 2 weeks and asked to be put on another project. The company said they needed him to stay, so he quit to get out. Huge respect for that man.

I have worked and stayed in Vegas, plus National Finals Rodeo a bunch.

Nice place to visit for short periods of time if you are there for a specific reason. I don't drink, smoke, gamble, and am very happily married. So not much attraction there for me other than some big events.

Not a fan of the city. ALWAYS under construction for roadwork. Off the strip is dirty and seedy in most parts.

There is some good food there.

If you have any addictive tendencies, stay away. I actually had a coworker quit the company I used to work for just to get away from Vegas. He was in AA and had been sober for years. He worked there for about a 2 weeks and asked to be put on another project. The company said they needed him to stay, so he quit to get out. Huge respect for that man.
The partying and nightlife doesn't appeal to me so that isn't a draw. I can make my own good food having grown up around it. But thanks for the input Lance. The draw is the work and how much they'll pay me. and how much they value my input, skills, and knowledge.

The hunting.....good luck drawing a tag

The fishing.....it's a desert

Quality of life.....it's sin city in a desert.

The grocery, and liquor stores are awesome though.

10 out of 10 would never move there

The partying and nightlife doesn't appeal to me so that isn't a draw. I can make my own good food having grown up around it. But thanks for the input Lance. The draw is the work and how much they'll pay me. and how much they value my input, skills, and knowledge.
If the pay is good enough to relocate, that should be one of the deciding factors for you. Stick to your values, and you should be fine. Stay off the Strip and Fremont, and 90% of the temptations go away. But you will still see it everywhere you go.

As for the heat, where are you coming from? I have been in Phoenix area my whole life. So the heat for me is nasty in the summer (no one thinks 110+* is fun to live in), but survivable. But if I had to move to WY, MN, MT type of location and work in the winter, they would have to pay me a fortune to make that type of move. I can't do the cold.

Sounds like the job is a winner. You just have to decide if the negatives are worth it.

From what I've heard from a relative who lives there, drawing a tag can be difficult and the few fishing holes are usually crowded and fished out. I would think with the fishing, getting farther from the roads/trails would help that immensely.

I think I'd look at it from a "how far to travel/how much cost to get to a good OTC state" kind of thing.

If the pay is good enough to relocate, that should be one of the deciding factors for you. Stick to your values, and you should be fine. Stay off the Strip and Fremont, and 90% of the temptations go away. But you will still see it everywhere you go.

As for the heat, where are you coming from? I have been in Phoenix area my whole life. So the heat for me is nasty in the summer (no one thinks 110+* is fun to live in), but survivable. But if I had to move to WY, MN, MT type of location and work in the winter, they would have to pay me a fortune to make that type of move. I can't do the cold.
I grew up in the Midwest so am used to the humidity. Then we moved to So Cal so some heat and all the temptations one could ever want. I was stationed in the South so rotations in NTC Barstow was like a welcomed vacation. or as much or a vacation 125 degree in the shade could be. Even worse in MOPP4 inside an APC sitting behind a M1 soaking up exhaust waiting for fuel. Thanks Lance.

I hate that town. Sin city for sure. Last time I was there my wife and I were there for the Con-expo and we saw a guy pull a gun on another dude, saw a hooker get her purse stolen by a guy, I gang of thugs from Bosnia with tear drop tattoo's on there faces approach us. Luckily a cop was near by, saw a nun in the strip with her boobies exposed and tassels on her nipples and one little midget that was 3'8" 400 pounds had a G string on and a tiny cup you know where playing the banjo.

We ain't going back lol. Hopefully the NFR moves to Texas one day.