What do YOU call these bugs?

Oh they can bite. Ask my brother. He was bitten years ago. Very painful and people can have very adverse reactions to the saliva.

From the googles...
The giant water bug is a predatory insect that hunts aquatic creatures. This bug has sharp mouthparts that deliver a painful bite to prey and humans. Many people call the giant water bug a "toe biter" because it can attack the feet of unsuspecting swimmers

Oh they can bite. Ask my brother. He was bitten years ago. Very painful and people can have very adverse reactions to the saliva.

From the googles...
The giant water bug is a predatory insect that hunts aquatic creatures. This bug has sharp mouthparts that deliver a painful bite to prey and humans. Many people call the giant water bug a "toe biter" because it can attack the feet of unsuspecting swimmers
I have heard that…especially if you're dangling your juicy little toes in the water off the edge of a dock, they look like yummy little sausages maybe? 🤣

Here are some of the creepy crawlies we had to contend with when I lived in Missouri. I tried my best to capture one of the giant Hercules Beetles that flew through the yard one day but couldn't catch up to it before it landed. My daughter was into etymology at the time and was putting together a bug collection for 4H. The Hercules Beetles are impressive in that they can fly at their size and weight. It sounded like a small plane going by when it passed. If I remember correctly, there are 8 types of venomous snakes there too. South Dakota is much more bug friendly and only a couple snakes to watch out for.

I personally have never seen that bug...
The pics....
Light brown.....a Jerusalem Cricket...I usually see the husk of them..this is probably the third live one I have seen...
Dark colored....is a Mormon Cricket...first of its kind I think ive seen....one other maybe.....
That grasshopper was 1¹/²" long....
20231010_133100.jpg
Size comparison....

Here are a couple I saw this year while hunting.....
View attachment 570230View attachment 570231

The one on the left, is often referred to as a Morman Cricket!

The one one the right looks similar to what we as kids ( in the Deep South) as a "Kaddie Did" (have know idea of the correct spelling). They were often well in excess of 2" in length!

Though, our "Kaddie Did's" had some yellow or orange on them. They were everywhere and then seemed to vanish. Maybe the DDT usage in the early/mid '60's! memtb

Last edited:
Here are some of the creepy crawlies we had to contend with when I lived in Missouri. I tried my best to capture one of the giant Hercules Beetles that flew through the yard one day but couldn't catch up to it before it landed. My daughter was into etymology at the time and was putting together a bug collection for 4H. The Hercules Beetles are impressive in that they can fly at their size and weight. It sounded like a small plane going by when it passed. If I remember correctly, there are 8 types of venomous snakes there too. South Dakota is much more bug friendly and only a couple snakes to watch out for.

I beleive you about the Hercules beetle! Cool!

I don't mind most creepy crawlers BUT I will say that living in a place with winters both very cold and very long has its perks…most of the bigger creepy crawlies and reptiles and such simply cannot survive here (northern Saskatchewan).

It's the big spiders and venomous snakes in particular that I'm happy to not share real estate with haha. We do have the occasional garter snake (totally harmless and good pest control) up here, not as many as there were 50 years ago tho, and that's it for snakes. in the south of the province up against the borders of Montana and North Dakota we do of course have prairie rattlesnakes and a few others that are nonetheless very rare still, this place really is tough living for cold blooded animals. I think a wolf spider is about the biggest arachnid, and these huge water beetles are about the biggest bug of any kind here (those emporer dragonflies get pretty big I suppose but don't have bulk anything like these)

I HATE big spiders. I've always wanted to visit Australia but also….i think I better stay home 🤣. While we're on the subject….@fordy @Aussie Hunter Steve whats the creepiest crawlie or snake you've seen?

I've had close calls with both big aggressive dogs and big aggressive men, been closer than I'd like to black bears…and all of these things are very REAL threats to one's life if things go wrong, more so than any spider in this province…and none of these threats trigger the visceral, unconscious, reflexive TERROR AND REVULSION AND PANIC that I feel when I see a great big spider near me!!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

If I have to fight a man, a rabid dog, or a black bear, I know darn well there's a very good chance I am grievously injured or killed…..if I have to touch a huge spider odds are nothing happens…but I can tell you which one makes my heart pound out of my chest just thinking about it 😅😅😅

My 5 year old stomped out one of these huge water bug/water beetle/toebiter things on my deck this morning. It is so massive and meaty it looks like you could give it an egg wash, toss it in corn starch, deep fry it and serve it with a Buffalo blue cheese dip! 🤣🤢

I've heard them called a few things, what do they call them in your neck of the woods AND do you have any experiences with them?
We call them a water bug

Here are a couple I saw this year while hunting.....
View attachment 570230View attachment 570231
Jerusalem cricket, left, (Ammopelmatus fuscus), not an actual cricket, nor from Jerusalem, it is in a different insect family, and Mormon cricket, left, (Anabrus simplex), which is a katydid relative. The Mormon crickets swarmed in a lot of places last year. With millions moving in waves they are really creepy and very destructive of vegetation. Any that get squashed on roads are cannibalized quickly.

On the initial bug, in Lake Champlain we just called them giant water bugs. The first one I found as a kid was kind of scary. Had to find it in a Golden Nature Book, I think. Seldom saw those on our rocky shore, but in weedy vegetation you could find them.

Last edited:
Oh it's definitely a water bug, i wasn't asking what it was so much as if there's any goofy names for the dang things from around North America…I think they're pretty ubiquitous all over the place.
Good eating. The Liberals want to start eating bugs instead of Beef, Pork, Poltery.

The liberals don't want to eat bugs they want the rest of us to eat bugs!
The liberal politicians also don't want to quit driving reliable cars, taking private jets for luxurious vacations, having their own money untaxed, and having armed security to protect them. They just want the rest of us to surrender all that.