Japanese Tanegashima Matchlock Arquebus

Marplot

Hmm. Could this be a deer gun? .52 Caliber

Just won this at Rock Island Auction. Somewhere from mid 1500s to late mid 1800s. .52 Caliber 41 3/8 Octagon Barrel. The barrel has a block front sight, a pair of silver inlaid dragons, and a traditional grooved block rear sight. The stock features a mix of brass and silver accents with engraved floral, rabbit, and smoke designs.

Hope you enjoy seeing it! Love to be able to share.

Attachments

• 2 (1).png
    2 (1).png
    54.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 2 (8).png
    2 (8).png
    84 KB · Views: 49
  • 2 (4).png
    2 (4).png
    48.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 1 (3).png
    1 (3).png
    37.8 KB · Views: 47
Hmm. Could this be a deer gun? .52 Caliber

Just won this at Rock Island Auction. Somewhere from mid 1500s to late mid 1800s. .52 Caliber 41 3/8 Octagon Barrel. The barrel has a block front sight, a pair of silver inlaid dragons, and a traditional grooved block rear sight. The stock features a mix of brass and silver accents with engraved floral, rabbit, and smoke designs.

Hope you enjoy seeing it! Love to be able to share.
I just saw several of these on ebay Made in China 🤣

There is a little background. From my memory.

In 1543 a chinese junk crashed into a Japanese island. There were some Portuguese sailors had two Arquebus guns. The king of the island bought the guns and gave them to his swordsmith to make some more. The swordsmith did not know the technology, so the Japanese king got a Portuguese blacksmith come visit and teach the Japanese smiths to make some.

Japanese are xenophobes. They didn't like anything that was not Japanese. So the king started making these guns and told everyone that he had invented them! His kingdom made thousands of guns, and the Samurai, thinking they were Japanese invention and bought many of them.

Even when the European invented flintlocks, Samurai would not touch them, same new tech, percussion, no! Metallic cartridges, no way! The Samurai used them from the mid 1500s to the mid 1800s, and, I think, the Samurai went out of fashion.

Marplot: We think that you got something interesting. If you are going to shoot it make sure that when you load it to have a black powder that was (recipe) for that time frame.
We think that this rifle would =be an AWESOME Wall hanger over a Fireplace or in a Gameroom with some big mounts.
GOOD find my friend. When you get it mounted on the wall or shooting it, please take pictures and if shooting a video on U Tube!
God Bless and thanks for sharing!!!
Len & Jill

Marplot: We think that you got something interesting. If you are going to shoot it make sure that when you load it to have a black powder that was (recipe) for that time frame.
We think that this rifle would =be an AWESOME Wall hanger over a Fireplace or in a Gameroom with some big mounts.
GOOD find my friend. When you get it mounted on the wall or shooting it, please take pictures and if shooting a video on U Tube!
God Bless and thanks for sharing!!!
Len & Jill
In the event that I shoot it, it would be a light load. Fun for a video. Maybe only once or twice and make it a wall hanger in a spotlighted location, honor and respect for this old warrior.

Really old guns like that generally don't interest me personally very much, other than it's cool to see where our technology started... But I have to say I appreciate your sharing the pictures! I still always look 😁

The dragon inlay on this is INCREDIBLE!! 😍😍😍
My sharing beauty and your joy from it really makes my day!

A craftsman created the inlays for himself and for others to enjoy!

Recent Posts