What bullet for 300wsm?

Hey all,

I'm building up a load for my father in laws 300wsm and wondering what bullet you all would recommend for my elk hunt this November? The barrel is 24" 1:10 twist topped with a suppressor.

I have some 154 hammer HHTs, but I'm not quite getting the downrange velocity I was hoping for. Best group is with varget at 3150fps. I could push it to 3250 with RL 16, but that's touching pressure pretty hard and only gets me an additional 100 yards above 1500ft/lbs… with this bullet I'm getting max range of 500 yards with 1500ft/lbs. And that's fine, but my 6.5prc will get 1500ft/lbs out to 700 yards with the 125HHTs…

So, my question is stick with the 154HHT, or move to something like the 200gr ELDX or for more knock down and range?

I won't be shooting past 600 yards anyways, but just was wondering what you all think.

Cheers
Would you consider dual loading? I found two wildly accurate loads that are exactly five clicks apart on zero, one is a very fast hammer that goes in the mag, the other is a gently bowled ELDM that rides in my chest harness. There is a ton of overlap, it's not necessary and they'll both shoot past my imposed limit, but it gives me a ton of confidence to have two different wounding philosophies in my hand. One is an any-angle shot with easy reticle holds, one expands violently and is still carrying 1900 ft/lb at my limit of talent. Have I shot an elk? Nope! But I had to rewrite my loading plan after seeing them up close a few times. I hated my margin of error and it killed my confidence when I had shot opportunities. That's just how I decided to silence that worry. I'll probably feel silly after I get one down.

If had to pick one bullet and I wasn't getting a lot of raw accuracy, as in multiple great groups, I would switch to a heavier non-tipped hammer or a bonded. Personally. I've seen cup and cores leave the chat below 2600 fps on close range whitetails, so I wouldn't bet my whole hunt on one, even though I appreciate that tons of guys have success with them on here. Just my perspective.

My 300WSM is a Tikka with a 1;11 twist it love 168 Berger classic hunters and Winchester 150 silver tip factory, I tried 212 ELDxs grouped fine a 100 after that they spread like buck shot, tried 175 LRXs great at 100, 200, at 300 couldn't keep them on paper, figured it was the twist rate for them, moved to the 176 ELDX and Nosler 180 BTs. the 176 ELDX was the best it group excellent out to 530 yards. that what I carried this fall for Elk. with your 1 in10 twist should be fine with heavier rounds. Weight and nenergy for Elk never hurts

My 300WSM is a Tikka with a 1;11 twist it love 168 Berger classic hunters and Winchester 150 silver tip factory, I tried 212 ELDxs grouped fine a 100 after that they spread like buck shot, tried 175 LRXs great at 100, 200, at 300 couldn't keep them on paper, figured it was the twist rate for them, moved to the 176 ELDX and Nosler 180 BTs. the 176 ELDX was the best it group excellent out to 530 yards. that what I carried this fall for Elk. with your 1 in10 twist should be fine with heavier rounds. Weight and nenergy for Elk never hurts

Did you take an elk?

Anyone know if the 200 eldx will fit and/or stabilize in a short action with 1:11 twist barrel?
I'm load developing that bullet in a tikka t3x 22" 1-9 twist with n560,h4350,hybrid100 and h1000 60-70 grains all 2800-2850. They will fit in a short action. Hope this helps.