What broadhead for baited black bear ?

valleysnyper

Looking for a solid one peice three blade to hunt baited bear out of my Scorpyd crossbow. I have some muzzy ones that I already bought, are these adequate or what is another option. Spring bear hunt in Manitoba so they shouldn't have to much fat on them. But with that being said bears will average between 330lbs to over 400. Thanks in advance

The SS3 is strong enough,stay away from the front shoulder and you will be fine.I shot my last bear with a Serv 1.5 and it worked great!! Good luck.

There are plenty of good choices. Shot placement is #1.

I killed a lot of deer with Wally World special boradheads when I was young.

Thunderhead are worth a look for economical.

A lot of companies mimic muzzy and some other name brands. The biggest choice IMO is replaceable vs non replaceable blades.

I was shooting sevr but outfitters won't allow mechanicals. For fixed blades I use vipertrick. Wonder if 4 blade wider heads would be better. Thinking maybe grizztricks, don't know how they will do at high speed though. Shots only about 30 ft

When I was hunting bears with a bow I always used a 145gr Satellite Titan which was very effective.
Today, I'd probably go with one of these:

I've guided bear hunters for over 47 years have seen the good and the bad with using a bow and arrow....I would say any broadhead that you would use on a deer will work OK on a bear....just stay away from the thin blade expandable type....
The biggest part about shooting a bear is arrow location....you must keep the entry away from the shoulder you slip a arrow just behind the shoulder your only going to hit maybe a rib bone then lungs major blood vessels and maybe the heart....if you don't get a exit because you hit the off shoulder your more than likely not going to have a good blood trail for a while because the fur will soak up a lot of blood but there will be a dead bear at the end of the trail.....

Myself I like the Rage expandable blade broadheads my wife and I have shot numerous and have never had a problem.....in fact most bears shot with the Rage 3 blades broadhead didn't go much farther than 70 yards and most were much less....

Looking for a solid one peice three blade to hunt baited bear out of my Scorpyd crossbow. I have some muzzy ones that I already bought, are these adequate or what is another option. Spring bear hunt in Manitoba so they shouldn't have to much fat on them. But with that being said bears will average between 330lbs to over 400. Thanks in advance
Montec solid steel fixed, will take down a bear easily, dropped mine last year with a 100 grain out of a Ten Point Vapor RS 470. 100 GRAIN complete pass through , he made about 75 yards. heavy fur soaks up lots of blood leaving little blood trails.Montec is solid steel the larger head, shown next to Muzzy , a very good head also but will not penetrate as much as the Montec.

Attachments

• bb.jpeg
    bb.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 13
  • bh.jpg
    bh.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 17
Lots of good broadheads both fixed and expandable out there these days. Ozcut, iron will seem to be on top of the list for fixed blades. Shwacker, sevr, rage are all liked for expandables. I'm not a crossbow hunter but I'm currently shooting sevr broadheads with my compound and two weeks ago I watched a buddy kill a cow bison with a single shwacker with a 40 yard shot. I later pulled it out of the opposite shoulder and other than a slightly bent blade it seemed none the worse for wear.