Volume and distance

milestown

When calling coyotes how loud do you start ? With a E. call what do you set the volume # at ? With a hand call what volume ? Half way between whisper and normal voice ?
How far between stands.

I know there are endless variables. Weather, wind, open plains or heavy cover.
Let's say it's on a windless day in the open prairie with light sage brush on a ridge over looking some draws.

Hal

After listening to the animals that I am wanting to imitate I try to duplicate their volume or just a little lower. after several minutes of intermittent calling, I will increase the volume to near the max for a few seconds, turn it off then wait for a while before returning to the lower setting and starting again just in case there is someone out at a distance or in a windy or lower area that might not have heard it at first. As has been stated by several others in several locations the biggest mistake made by beginners is too much volume and too long of playing the caller at a time, in my experience. The best teacher you can find is the actual animal that you are wanting to imitate, if you can listen to them.

^^^^^^^
I always start low and slow and then turn up to max for a few seconds. Like DSheetz explains. Never over play and try to get an animal sound that imitates some food that the Yotes are feeding on.
You may get into an area where the Yotes or a Cat can be already. i have started with a mouse squeak and had Yotes come in at 50 yards. Starting loud might scare them away. I have used mouse squeaks that I could barely hear, call in yotes from several hundred yards away.
It is not only using calls to lure the animal in that works, but sometime a fast loud scream may indicate that another Predator is in the area killing some prey. Other Yotes may runaway so they don't get in a fight with a dominate Yote.
It is a Yote eat - Yote eat world and some fights for competition. Also when using Yote calls (pups, group calling) you can attract or chase away older/younger Yotes. Yotes are not dumb they know when and what time of the year the pups are no longer pups.
A lot goes to the area you are in. Is there any recitational homes within a few miles or you are in the middle of nowhere
A coyote can travel up to 35 miles in a round trip from den to back. A coyote also needs to eat their body weight every week and depending on the weather maybe more. Now everyone may thing that this is from rabbits, squirrels, deer, livestock. A lot of their diet consists of bugs, frogs, lizards, mice, and carrion. In the spring they are very lucky to eat eggs & poults from Turkey, quail. Rabbits, Possums are a delicacy and the birthing season of DEER which Yotes can kill and eat 75% of the births. The end of the summer and winter they have to scrounge.
They like to steal and if they get into a Urbon environment the will eat, chickens, ducks, cats, and dogs.
Another success that I have had during the day was using a motorized "Red Tail Hawk" in flight about 6' on a pole with a motorized rabbit on the ground about 20' away or a small Fawn decoy. Hunted areas like Power/Gas Lines where there was up to one mile sight of line. Had Yotes come running in full speed to steal the rabbit/fawn from the Hawk. The yotes broke into from 500 yds away down the Power/Pipe line.

I run an older FX5 and Ill normally start at half volume to see if any are close. If nothing pops out after a couple minutes, I'll ramp it up. Also depends on wind and conditions. It its a cold crisp morning where sounds travels far I'll start lower.