Your Fur Rifle and load: Coyote, Fox, and Bobcats

Greg Duerr

For you guys that Hunt for Fur whats your cartridge and load, bullet etc........... hows it working out for you.

I found that the .19 Badger with the 32gr Double Hollow point and 17.8 gr of AA 2200 works great almost on exit holes ....................

Velocity is right at 3600

If i can get them in close like 200 yards or less then i like to use my 222. rem using a 40 grain nosler over a load of benchmark going about 3500 fps. i haven't looked at the powder charge in a while, but i think about 23 grains. goes in and doesn't come out.

How does that load work on fox or cats.................

My load will take out a Marmont without an exit hole...............

Sometimes you get small cats coming in and most of the time I let them go and consintrate on the older toms. Fox also...............

There are not many fox here in the spokane area and i have not been lucky enough to shoot a cat yet. A few times i have side shot the coyotes in the meat no ribs and same effect, small almost no entry size and no exit, never cut one open to see dammage in side but skinning shows the bullet never reached the other side

You live in a beautiful area. I was in a small town south of you called Colten. Really nice people, lots of Bird Hunting. Drove into a really small town Called Johnsville and spent the night in Wattsville. That whole area was really facinating. To this day I have never eaten apples as good as the ones I had up there nothing has ever come close..............I dumped a coyote while driving through some apple groves on my way to a school that my son attended up there.
I would bet you have some great duck hunting in the area also, what about Chukar?

Greg gun)

Yeah lots of chukar around the snake river, and duck and goose hunting everywhere. Where are you at

Right outside of Reno, Nevada...................

Out here its all about IF we had a good chukar hatch OR IF we had a wet winter so what few marshes we have will have water in them, and IF I draw a Deer tag, which I did and an Elk tag.................

If the IF's dont pan out then there are always plenty of Coyotes and Bobcats to make up the difference.

G

I have thought of trying to do some hunting down there for dogs if i was to go down through there forany reason in the winter. Nice that its non resident friendly

In Nevada you dont need a hunting license to call and shoot coyotes, however you would need a non-resident trapping license if you sold the fir but there is no way they could say where you shot them............skin them out and go home. Some of the rules are really crazy. I can shoot all the coyotes that I want year round but if I put out a trap for coyotes I need to buy a trapping license.

I live real close to California so I buy a non-resident hunting license so I dont have to worry about where the boarder is, however if Im running a trap line out there I have to because trapping is illegal in California.
In Nevada Bobcat season runs from Nov-the end of Feb...................I can shoot all the cats I want but if I sell any I need a trapping license. One of the things I always buy is a Mt. Lion tag, I have called in Mt. Lions while out calling for Bobcats. The great thing about having a lion tag is that you dont have to draw for them and the season starts Marsh 1st and ends Feb 28th, Male or Female. The only thing you have to watch for is that in each zone there is a Mt. Lion quota when that is reached the season is closed in that Zone.
I start calling in Sept and have to turn away some bobcats that come in. However its nice to know they are out there so when the season opens I can go back to the same area. I talked to a biologist and he told me that there are a lot of area's in Nevada that have more bobcats than coyotes, its just that you dont ever see them as you do with coyotes.

G

that is awesome, i would love to go to a place like that where you could have great probability to see bob's over dogs. is there a lot of public land around you, i know dumb question cause most of nevada is public. what kind of weather you get in the winter?

Because we live in a desert we get little snow in the winter, usually the sun is out the next morning. There are some storms that give us a little more but the sunny days melt if off. Nevada is 85% open BLM land and where I will be deer hunting this fall you can drive for 100 miles and never leave BLM land. Lots of Coyotes and Cats in the area I will be Deer Hunting. If you look at a map of Nevada I will be hunting just north of the town of Lovelock, its right off of I-80. One of the great things about Living in the Reno area is that you can be out calling in 45min.................or spend the weekend calling and never see another truck. I hunt out of a 10x12 Wall tent with a wood stove so Im real mobile...........................Its what I love about the area.

G

Sounds like the life, Greg! Not quite as exotic as yours but I'm in the same zone. I shoot a .204 with a 35 grain Berger at about 3800 fps. Works well on coyotes and 'cats at called distances. I'll be experimenting with a .243AI with a 65 grain V-max this season. If I get lucky enough to call a fox here, I hope I can use the shotgun!

Tim, ill be interested to hear if that 65 does well, i had the same cartridge pushing 70 nosler bt's going something like 3700or more and it blew s#@t up dogs were ok at 400 or more, but closer big whole

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.