Vacuum seal bags for storage of primers

If I misunderstand and you are storing packaged primers in their original packaging in plastic bags, this MIGHT be ok IF you took appropriate measures to discharge accumulated static.
thank you for the tip on static bags. I do plan to store them in their original carboard boxes and plastic trays. If I can only get a bag large enough for Federal primers package. I do not plan to carry them in a backpack or any thing. Just protect them from the elements and when I move.

thank you for the tip on static bags. I do plan to store them in their original carboard boxes and plastic trays. If I can only get a bag large enough for Federal primers package. I do not plan to carry them in a backpack or any thing. Just protect them from the elements and when I move.
FWIW I've stored primers and powder in an unconditioned storage unit for years with apparent Ill effects.

Primers use primary explosives that are much more spark sensitive that the main propellant, it would not be advisable to store them in vacuum seal bags with a desiccant unless you have anti-static bags (most vacuum bags aren't) and unless you have a very thought through setup for ensuring all potential static charge is dissipated before taking them in and out. Particularly if you aren't keeping them in their original packaging. In general I would say that if you want to keep them dry and sealed, a good metal container with a seal (ammo can) would be the best. As long as where you keep the ammo can doesn't have big temp swings, the relative humidity in your can should be pretty stable. It's easy to touch the metal can to ground if you are in a very dry environment to make sure charge isn't built up before you start taking things in and out. Stable moisture content is more important for consistency than having them super dry; i.e. as long as they are at the same moisture content between load development, sighting in, and shooting/hunting it doesn't matter if its on the low side or high side. Also, humidity changes in your main powder charge will affect velocity far more significantly than moisture content in your primers because it is such a small proportion of the overall energy.

Primers use primary explosives that are much more spark sensitive that the main propellant, it would not be advisable to store them in vacuum seal bags with a desiccant unless you have anti-static bags (most vacuum bags aren't) and unless you have a very thought through setup for ensuring all potential static charge is dissipated before taking them in and out. Particularly if you aren't keeping them in their original packaging. In general I would say that if you want to keep them dry and sealed, a good metal container with a seal (ammo can) would be the best. As long as where you keep the ammo can doesn't have big temp swings, the relative humidity in your can should be pretty stable. It's easy to touch the metal can to ground if you are in a very dry environment to make sure charge isn't built up before you start taking things in and out. Stable moisture content is more important for consistency than having them super dry; i.e. as long as they are at the same moisture content between load development, sighting in, and shooting/hunting it doesn't matter if its on the low side or high side. Also, humidity changes in your main powder charge will affect velocity far more significantly than moisture content in your primers because it is such a small proportion of the overall energy.

I do it. We have a chamber sealer and I do about 20 (whatever the measurement is) pressures.

I just like it because it keeps them from opening and I don't have to muck with tape.

I have 40+ year old primers that I use. Only common sense storage for me (i.e. keep dry). They've been moved a half dozen times and mostly stored in basements with dehumidifiers.

I have never felt the need to vacuum pack any reloading components.

I also have successfully used 20+ year old CCI mag rifle primers I store under normal house temperatures & humidity. I burn through pistol and small rifle too fast for them to get too old.
However, several years ago I found that some oil had come in contact with several hundred primers that were stored near the oil. Concerned they might be desensitized, I did some on line research and found this:

My solution (no pun intended) was, as a contractor was pouring a fence foundation for me, I dropped the 200+ into the concrete footing. I will not be alive when they decide to tear the footing up so I will not be sure the moisture and chemical reaction with the cement affected them.

Last edited:
Thank all of you for your observations. I, too, was thinking of vacuum-packing my primers and then storing them in a plastic ammo box. Guess that I'll just leave them in the drawers where I've been keeping them - some for up to 30 years. Thanks, again; sure is good to have the thoughts and experiences of this group.

All of my reloading equipment and reloading components are in the basement where my wife has banished me. ;)

The basement is fully heated in the winter and it stays exceptionally dry. In the spring, summer and early fall, I keep 2 dehumidifiers running 24/7. They both discharge through a 1/4" hose into the slop sink.

Some of my powder and some of my primers are quite old. They still seem to work as good as new. I try to utilize as much of the older components as possible to avoid having things in inventory for more than 20yrs, even though it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I started hand loading back in April, 1963. I have never sealed primers in anything other than the original packaging. I have NEVER had a primer go bad when stored this way. Vacuum sealing is NOT an advisable practice as it changes the brisance of the primer by dehumidifying the primer mix. this can be dangerous if you load hot, aka one of the high pressure seeking folks. Even if you are not, I still would not recommend vacuum sealing primers.

As I stated, I have never had a bad primer. This statement covers 59 years of reloading.

I know someone will think I am full of crap, but it is your eyes, hands, and rifle.

I also have successfully used 20+ year old CCI mag rifle primers I store under normal house temperatures & humidity. I burn through pistol and small rifle too fast for them to get too old.
However, several years ago I found that some oil had come in contact with several hundred primers that were stored near the oil. Concerned they might be desensitized, I did some on line research and found this:

My solution (no pun intended) was, as a contractor was pouring a fence foundation for me, I dropped the 200+ into the concrete footing. I will not be alive when they decide to tear the footing up so I will not be sure the moisture and chemical reaction with the cement affected them.
So now they sleep with Jimmy Hoffa? That is one way to dispose of suspect primers that I would not have thought of.