Vacuum seal bags for storage of primers

Justice1327

I am looking to store my primers in a vacuum sealed storage bag with a desiccant pack. I would like to get your thoughts, pros and cons, and if you have any experience doing this.

Thank you

Last edited:
I am looking to store my primers in a vacuum sealed storage bag with a decadent pack. I would like to get your thoughts, pros and cons, and if you have any experience doing this.

Thank you
I was going to do the same thing over 20 years ago. I did read a review on "Vacuum Packing" Primers and the information said not to do this. Check with the manufacture.

I currently have 5,000+ primers stored this way. My 'reloading room' is really just a large walk-in closet which is on the other side of the master-bathroom and vanity area. I didn't wanna take a chance on moisture/heat affecting them……especially now. 😬
My thoughts too.

I currently have 5,000+ primers stored this way. My 'reloading room' is really just a large walk-in closet which is on the other side of the master-bathroom and vanity area. I didn't wanna take a chance on moisture/heat affecting them……especially now. 😬
I kind of do the same. I put a large dehumidification unit in the container with the primers. From October until about the first of July the humidity level here is 3-9% or so. But starting in early July until the end of August the humidity shoots way up from the monsoon season.

Don't think from reading this that y'all have experience handling explosives. Recommendations are to keep humidity high and synthetic fibers low. This is to prevent accidental discharge (from static electricity) , not to prolong shelf life. The only plastic material I would store loose primers in would be the anti static type used for static- sensitive electronics protection. I've received blasting caps packaged this way. Static generation would be exacerbated by movement, such as carting your pack. If I misunderstand and you are storing packaged primers in their original packaging in plastic bags, this MIGHT be ok IF you took appropriate measures to discharge accumulated static. Also, ever had a (one) primer explode against your finger? A Lee loader and a cocked shotgun primer as a kid made a lasting impression (!) on me! Now I can't imagine 100 or so primers primers going off close to your body!

Nuff said!

My understanding is different humidity will result in different feet per second. High or low humidity, within reason, is not bad just produces different results. Primers and powder may change over time as humidity changes. Will it be noticeable? I would think vacuum pack or not they would still function. Hence the comments, "I've done it this way for years with no issues".

Bryan Litz has a video on powder humidity / temperature and storage. Not about primers but thought it may be of interest.