Vacuum seal bags for storage of primers

I was going to do the same thing over 20 years ago. I did read a review on "Vacuum Packing" Primers and the information said not to do this. Check with the manufacture.
I've had some vacuum packed for almost 15 years, yea I had a boatload of them from a garage sale, and when I open a new pack up they fire off with no problems and I did not use any desiccant pack.

I am looking to store my primers in a vacuum sealed storage bag with a desiccant pack. I would like to get your thoughts, pros and cons, and if you have any experience doing this.

Thank you
I'm still using chicken primers I bought it the 60's and 70's that I've just stored in the drawers of my loading bench. Slowly working my way through them to my new ones. Have never had any fail. Hust store them in a cool dry place.

I'm still using chicken primers I bought it the 60's and 70's that I've just stored in the drawers of my loading bench. Slowly working my way through them to my new ones. Have never had any fail. Hust store them in a cool dry place.
That was supposed to be cci primers. I hate autocorrect.

Being lazy and didn't read all the posts so sorry if this has been mentioned. I have a question for the guys referring to static electricity: Why is this not advised with loaded ammo? Is a primer more volatile when it is a stand alone component? If I had static electricity build up on myself and touched a primer it would detonate, but not if it were on loaded ammo?

I keep primers in a lg. wooden ammo box. Humidity ranges from 25 winter to 50+ summer, temp 69 winter, 78 summer. in my place. I am loading primers I got 20 years ago and they work fine.
Note: winter reloading I touch copper plumbing when I walk in the room and also i do my reloading on a static, grounded mat like they used for computers.
I have had only one primer go off and that was using a Lee Loader. It does get your attention..
I have removed several primers for various reasons. I go slow with steady pressure with decapping pin. I do this, I am NOT telling you to do it

I sometimes vacuum seal some things. I carry a rather complete first aid kit (former AF Medic '67) and have found things like dressings are kept clean that way.

Don't think from reading this that y'all have experience handling explosives. Recommendations are to keep humidity high and synthetic fibers low. This is to prevent accidental discharge (from static electricity) , not to prolong shelf life. The only plastic material I would store loose primers in would be the anti static type used for static- sensitive electronics protection. I've received blasting caps packaged this way. Static generation would be exacerbated by movement, such as carting your pack. If I misunderstand and you are storing packaged primers in their original packaging in plastic bags, this MIGHT be ok IF you took appropriate measures to discharge accumulated static. Also, ever had a (one) primer explode against your finger? A Lee loader and a cocked shotgun primer as a kid made a lasting impression (!) on me! Now I can't imagine 100 or so primers primers going off close to your body!

Nuff said!
I have HANDLED some C4, RDX, and a few 155 rounds that I rigged for demo. But that was just for 1 course I was in. But I've never stored HE. When I removed the fuse from the 155s I had to touch ground first. Then after I packed the 155s with C4 and daisy chained with DET cord I had to touch ground before inserting the blasting caps (M60 if memory serves). 4 daisy chained 155s make for quite a show and crater.

Like you stated I store my primers in their original bricks in a large plastic airtight box with a dehumidifier unit. But from what I have seen in this thread it seems that is not needed. I don't have an enormous background in storing HE. Do you think the same principles for storing C4 apply to primers as well?

Thanks for the info.

Don't think from reading this that y'all have experience handling explosives. Recommendations are to keep humidity high and synthetic fibers low. This is to prevent accidental discharge (from static electricity) , not to prolong shelf life. The only plastic material I would store loose primers in would be the anti static type used for static- sensitive electronics protection. I've received blasting caps packaged this way. Static generation would be exacerbated by movement, such as carting your pack. If I misunderstand and you are storing packaged primers in their original packaging in plastic bags, this MIGHT be ok IF you took appropriate measures to discharge accumulated static. Also, ever had a (one) primer explode against your finger? A Lee loader and a cocked shotgun primer as a kid made a lasting impression (!) on me! Now I can't imagine 100 or so primers primers going off close to your body!

Nuff said!
Jay, out of curiosity, was the discharge strong enough to tear the skin? (I've wondered about this for a while.)

Well the injury was more of a burn and bruise from the hot gasses and concussion. I was 16 and using the old Lee loaders they used to sell for $9.99 in 1968 as I remember. The primer punch was for removing spent primers, not crooked live ones. I realized my dumb mistake when it happened. I was doing too much bs'ing with my friend (who was reloading his shells) and not enough paying attention to what I was doing.

My understanding is different humidity will result in different feet per second. High or low humidity, within reason, is not bad just produces different results. Primers and powder may change over time as humidity changes. Will it be noticeable? I would think vacuum pack or not they would still function. Hence the comments, "I've done it this way for years with no issues".

Bryan Litz has a video on powder humidity / temperature and storage. Not about primers but thought it may be of interest.

One of the neater vids I have taken the time to watch in a long time. I remember VV recommending storing powder at 59% humidity, and living in WY other than running a humidifier, all but impossible. Plus you'd never store powder in your reloading room, unless you were a major investor of naval jelly.
I cannot see messing with vacuum sealing primers here either, if I started a test now on primers, open vs sealed, I will be in diapers again before I have primers old enough to deteriorate.