Vacation questions: West Yellowstone and Grand Tetons

Jtgraham01

Not sure if this is a good spot, but here we go:

Taking the family on July 1-8 and flying into Bozeman. Will stay nights of July 1 and July 7 in Bozeman, and days of 2-7 off West Thumb in Grant Village.

Wife and I are moderately active, and have a 6 and 8 year old. Rented a jeep to let us be mobile.

What are your recommendations for some activities? Need a guide for it?

Would like to float the Snake or other body of water, see as much wildlife as possible, get in some scenic views, do some light hiking (2-3 miles is probably a max for my kids.)

What am I missing? What's the best way to get a good experience?

Others will probably have way more information than I do. We've been to Yellowstone and grand Teton twice and I would say for the best experience only spend a day or two to visit top sightseeing spots in the park. I got very aggravated at traffic and congestion in the park itself. The area is beautiful and plenty to do away from all the once a year wilderness people you will encounter in the park.
I would recommend a horseback ride and there's plenty of short hiking trails. I just asked locals where we stayed for some less known areas. Enjoy the trip and be flexible!

Ya parts are opening and admittance is determined by even and odd license plate numbers apparently. I was planning on taking my wife in a month. Unsure now. For wildlife hit up Hayden Valley. Should see elk and bison no problem. If you are lucky bears and wolves. I watched a fantastic pack of wolves try and run down elk in there which finished with a standoff in water.

I took the family on a 10 gay trip in 2020. We flew into Kalispell Montana and rented a truck for the entire trip. 4 days in Glacier NP, drove to West Yellowstone and spent 4 days at the NP, and then to Tetons. This was my favorite family vacation. It was in September. I would do it again. Glacier was my favorite even though the east side was closed due to the pandemic. Yellowstone was awesome for viewing critters, but traffic can be frustrating at times.

Thanks for all the input so far. I do have access to the news and have kept up. We had reservations inside the park on the North loop and they were canceled last week.

This whole thing is plan B as I already have vacation time off and plane tickets and keep rented.

As of now entrances all but North loop will open June 23.

Keep them coming on the input. Love the museum idea and others.

Im partial to the idaho side of the tetons because i grew up watching the sun rise over them.
Nevrsummr:

Next weekend I am heading out with my son's dog to the Idaho side of the Tetons.

20220618_194601.jpg

Tripp and I will be be hiking up the South Fork of Teton Creek in Teton Canyon and spending a few days in Alaska Basin. As you know, Alaska Basin contains the portion of the Teton Crest Trail that is outside the border of Teton National Park. Therefor dogs are allowed.
20200615_195546.jpg

LEN & OLLIE

Jtgraham01:

Your plan sounds very good. You are in for a huge treat! There is a wonderful scenic raft trip on Snake River in the GTNP. Moose elk beaver eagle mountains up close. Perfect for families.

Hope to hear back from you afterwards.

If you are anywhere near Cody on July 4th, they have awesome July 4th celebration! The parade is truly Americana at the finest! Called Cody Stampede!

Cody museum is well worth the visit!

Ya parts are opening and admittance is determined by even and odd license plate numbers apparently. I was planning on taking my wife in a month. Unsure now. For wildlife hit up Hayden Valley. Should see elk and bison no problem. If you are lucky bears and wolves. I watched a fantastic pack of wolves try and run down elk in there which finished with a standoff in water.
park opens on Wednesday. It will be limited entry, but here's the best part. enter prior to the employees showing up. You can drive into the park prior to 5:30 and now one is there. they don't start their shifts until 5:30am. They can't do anything about it.

My dad is a vendor in the park so you get to learn all the tricks. there is no one there at all right now, obviously because they closed it. The North entrance won't open for a long long time. But West is good to go.

But this Wednesday it opens at 8am

I don't know if you have made motel reservations or not. But if you haven't, I suggest you say at a place called The Come On Inn...Me and my wife found it when we were out there. We rented a cabin in Cameron and got there a day early, before we could get in the cabin.

Not sure if this is a good spot, but here we go:

Taking the family on July 1-8 and flying into Bozeman. Will stay nights of July 1 and July 7 in Bozeman, and days of 2-7 off West Thumb in Grant Village.

Wife and I are moderately active, and have a 6 and 8 year old. Rented a jeep to let us be mobile.

What are your recommendations for some activities? Need a guide for it?

Would like to float the Snake or other body of water, see as much wildlife as possible, get in some scenic views, do some light hiking (2-3 miles is probably a max for my kids.)

What am I missing? What's the best way to get a good experience. ?
Be aware that Montana has hard MAJOR flooding. Numerous roads are wiped out. Especially in Yellowstone Park. Check there web site for updates checking your reservations for possible problems.