Utah west desert vernon tag

shootinfool

Well, I finally drew the west desert vernon any wepon tag this year. This area has received alot of attention from the media lately due to a big poaching case. I hear alot of people talking about how this has brought down the quality of the unit alot, but i still think that there are some old mossybacks out there somewhere. I could however use some tips on where to start looking. I am interested in any help that could be offered up. I would also enjoy seeing any pics of some deer that have been shot out of this area in the past that you or someone else wouldnt mind showing off. I look forward to this adventure this year and will definately share pics of the whole adventure come october. Thanks for any help.

Congradulations, its an awsome unit.

Will try to post some pics of my deer from '05 and get some of my brothers '04 deer.
Will pull out the maps and try to get some close gps readings for the area.

Sorry for the delay. Here are the coordinates of the ridge line where I shot my deer from. 40 00' 21.31" north 112 34' 05.27" west. It is on the west side of the mountain from the town of Vernon.
This time of year is when I started scouting. My brother and I saw a bachelor group with 10-15 bucks. I would say half of those deer would have been fine trophies.
The deer I was able to take has an outside spread of 26 7/8". This doesn't sound large but the mass of the antlers more than makes up for its lack of width. I would post pics but have no way to edit them to a more post friendly size. If you would like to see them message me your e-mail. (Maybe someone more picture literate would be willing to post them for me?) My brothers buck was taken 2 to 3 valleys to the north of where I got mine. His buck has an outside spread of 30 inches, but doesn't have the mass or the height of my buck.
A few things I observed during my hunt.
The valley to the south of this ridge is a virtual deer highway. Any farther south and the top of the mountains become cliffs. This valley funnels them to the first available saddle to cross to the the east side of the mountain.
When the weekend is over most of the hunters go home (!!??). Monday I saw no other orange on the mountain besides my hunting partner.
The deer are used to the cattle ranchers driving vehicles on these mountains and don't spook when they hear vehicles. (I got a whole 10 feet from the 4 wheeler before I spotted and shot my buck.)
Despite being called a desert there is a LOT of water out there. There is a spring in the valley below this ridge line. My bucks front toes where bent upward from spending so much time in the almost marsh conditions.
Most of the deer you will see will be 3 points but there are 4 points if you are patient.

The best I have saved for last. My hunting partner, after we had made it to my buck asked me "Why did you shoot the small one? I saw a bigger one run away after your shot.":D

Good luck on your hunt!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.