V-Max or Z-Max

pretty sure it's just the color of the tip. I use the 308 168gr z-max in my 3006 pistol and ar10 308 and they shoot awesome. additionally, you can often find them on sale or closeout because I don't think they went over all that well. I snagged a couple 500rd boxes and couldn't be happier with the performance. They are definitely lightly constructed. I shot a deer with the 168gr Z-Max and I had no exit, no piece of bullet larger than a jacket fragment to recover. BUT... it penetrated to the offside shoulder and the deer fell in it's tracks. approx velocity 2650fps muzzle 200yd shot

Yep tip color ,,,, i asked Hornady myself..... midway had a steal of a deal sale on them a few weeks ago paid less for them than there factory seconds where,,, 12 cent each for 50 gr .224 bought 1500 of them ....

I have literally mixed them in reloading lots and shot groups and can't tell the difference. Clearly only color.

Second hand information: Someone on another forum asked that question to the Hornady rep and was told that the only difference was the tip color, which makes sense.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.