A-MAX - 1 ...... chuck - 0.

Jerry Ricker

Recently broke my new rifle in with it's first confirmed using a 52gr A-MAX in 223 at 242yd.

HPIM0349.jpg

Re: A-MAX - 1 ... chuck - 0.

It was a trade-in at a local gunsmiths shop that I had been eyeing for about a year. I don't know who's bbl. it is but it is a true 1/2 MOA gun. I'm not crazy about the muzzle break, but I bought it, didn't build it. Optic is a Schmidt & Bender 3-12 PMII/LP USMC model. Paint is by me and Krylon.
I got another chuck yesterday evening with this at 354yd. I'm really starting to like this thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice looking chuck.

Thats one heck-of-a krylon paint job!!!!

What colors did you use?

Used the new Krylon fusion, I think it adheres better to plastics and is a little tougher and more durable.
Colors were khaki and OD green.

How did you apply the paint? The pattern is awesome. I've seen some done in a similar way using plastic wrap. Sweet looking rifle. ~JT

Thanks, I started with a solid khaki base and used a cluster of fake grass from my wifes dried flower arrangement. Mask off anything you don't want painted. Using the grass, cover areas where you don't want paint and do the OD over that both heavy and light in different areas, go lightly with khaki, again using the grass over the green in a few spots and there you go.
The hardest part about this was convincing myself to paint the scope.

You were in the same boat I am. I want to do a gun like that for my kid but I'm scared to do the scope for fear of painting the scope caps on. Was it hard to mask the adjustment ring and how did you keep from sticking the caps on? Also is the bolt painted?

With all the questions we all have about all the guns pics that get posted; how about maybe the moderators starting a do-it-yourself or step by step how I did it myself thread. I see lots of postes from proud papas about their new babies, why not a thread dedicated to it?

Oh ya...great shot on the whistle pig!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.