Underwear choices?

birddog 68

Hello, I am hoping this thread is in the correct forum. I have a elk hunt coming up in September but isn't a backpacking hunt.
What is everyone wearing for actual underwear? I'm not talking about long underwear but like some type of briefs.
I hate wearing my normal tighty whitey cotton briefs because of the sweat factor and when you finally try to take them off they roll up like a wet burrito.
I'm sure there's a better option and would love to hear what suggestions everyone has other than not wearing any. lol
Thanks, Birddog 68

Merino wool briefs. For long outings, I use silver infused nylon briefs. Silver is an antimicrobial. I like briefs anyways because they help avoid chaffing when I get all juicy.

Silk is too absorbent for me. Same with cotton. As they say; cotton kills. The merino wool is a little absorbent too, but doesn't feel like it? Hard to explain.

Silk underwear against the skin will wick away sweat, a major issue in keeping warm. After the silk, many types seem to work well.
I did a lot of mountain climbing and backwoods hunting. I used many layers of clothing with silk long sleeves shirts and long leg UW (very thin) and for UW briefs i used Patagonia CAPILENE. Then other pairs of thin lightweight (heat holding) Long Johns. I can get a list of all the layers later. Probably (6) layers before the outer.
Keeping warm is all about layers (weight) and not sweating. Sweating and non wicking materials are your enemy!

Silk underwear against the skin will wick away sweat, a major issue in keeping warm. After the silk, many types seem to work well.
I made the horrible mistake of wearing 100% Poly long underwear on an Alberta Mule dee hunt in Alberta a few years ago. Didn't add cotton or wool briefs underneath. Temperature dropped from 30*F to -40 overnight. Guide said no problem - he had parka/propane heated-bucket setups to help. Not so good - that combo left my sitter in giant blisters from the heat, humidity and chaffing from sitting all day on that bucket. I was a serious mess. Lost a day of hunting dealing with the bandages and ointments and laying on my stomach at the motel. The trip home was agony. Took 2 weeks to heal up. Felt like a real nitwit!

So the moral of this story is that poly has its place - but NOT directly next to your skin!

Some lessons suck. Some of us learn by pain, other learn by seeing others pain lol.

Polyester has its place. It lets water pass through it with basically no retention. Great for summer outings for UV protection and moisture wicking. It's not great for insulation for sure.

Any time around the negatives, I only rely on animal based layers. Down, wool, furs etc,

Any time around the negatives, I only rely on animal based layers. Down, wool, furs etc,
This hunt will be late September so I am not expecting too cold. I'm thinking cool mornings and evening and mild mid day.
Duluths buck naked underwear.

More specifically, the armachillo line.
These are like 93% polyester and 7% spandex from what I read. And they have select colors on sale for about $13 a pair with free shipping.