TSS Ammo! R U Kidding Me?

I picked up a few boxes of the Browning TSS when they first came out on sale. Luckily still have a few of those. TSS is a hammer on them no doubt. Gone are the days of jumping up and having to run do the stomp.

Not sure if they are made in .410 but the Winchester Long Beard XR are about the best shell I have ever shot that is not TSS when looking at pattern density. Most everyone local that doesn't shoot TSS will have the Long Beard XR's in the gun.

Only problem I have experienced with the Long Beards are in some 3" guns they will jamb or not eject all the way. Stand a 3" XR on a table with a regular 3" federal or browning shell and the XR is about a 1/8" longer. Friends that shoot pumps or 3.5" guns seem to have no problems.

Back to the original post- if you are law enforcement , military , FF /EMS maybe try some discount places like ExpertVoice .will have to create an account. Think federal and Remington are 40% off.

I get the TSS for .410 as the pellet count is low with lead. But why can't people kill turkeys with 12 gauge lead loads? My buddy was all hyped up about TSS as he had never hunted turkeys. We called one in to 20 yards. He didn't exactly need the TSS.

Around 2010-2015 I was buying shotgun components and presses on local classifieds. No one wanted them and they were giving them away. I'd sell the presses for what I paid for the whole works online and shoot for free. I bought everything I could get my hands on.

I shoot a lot of sporting clays. I think I have enough to shoot for the rest of my days and everything I need for hunting too with the exception of steel shot for waterfowl and I'm good on that too for awhile. We bought several pallets of steel shot for $60 a case.

I get the TSS for .410 as the pellet count is low with lead. But why can't people kill turkeys with 12 gauge lead loads? My buddy was all hyped up about TSS as he had never hunted turkeys. We called one in to 20 yards. He didn't exactly need the TSS.

Around 2010-2015 I was buying shotgun components and presses on local classifieds. No one wanted them and they were giving them away. I'd sell the presses for what I paid for the whole works online and shoot for free. I bought everything I could get my hands on.

I shoot a lot of sporting clays. I think I have enough to shoot for the rest of my days and everything I need for hunting too with the exception of steel shot for waterfowl and I'm good on that too for awhile. We bought several pallets of steel shot for $60 a case.
The reason I shoot TSS is I can get 12 ga lead performance with a 20 ga with TSS WITHOUT the jaw shattering recoil of the 12.

Never seen much reason for buyN those TSS 410 rounds for $38 bucks for box of five, like $7.50 each is a bit wild on the price markup. Buy a box of Winchester AA Super Sport Sporting Clays 410 bore 2-1/2' and 1/2 oz shot for like $16.99 box 25 rounds. These are 1,300 fps and about the best 410 round on the planet for like $.75 cents each. Take a little metal O-ring pick and just barely open the crimp pour out shot in a bowl. Get out ur TSS #7's, that ya got for $2.60 an ounce, put them in a small bowl and refill ur AA's. Close the crimp closed carefully and the little hole in crimp will disappear. Now that's 1/2 oz of TSS for $1.30 and $.75 for the DoubleAA or $2 bucks a round. .The turkeys can't tell the difference, put the $5 bucks into Fossil Fuel for the 4X4. The 20 ga will put a rakN on a turkey. Usually weigh those out and top with just dry out of the box Steel Cut Oatmeal, Box of 5 takes about 20 minutes. That wax that comes on the outside of the cheddar from Ireland, remelt er+ great for sealN em up. Good Luck on the trail!

I think this is unwise advice. TSS is much heavier than lead. The half ounce load you extracted is being replaced by something heavier(in total weight)...meaning the pressure will be different...possibly unsafe.
Also the shot cups used for TSS are thicker because TSS can engrave a barrel when shot.
I load TSS for turkey shells and speak from experience. 7 and 9 shot work very well together.

Ya put the same 1/2 oz back in , steel cuts oats is the filler, ya might not a read the whole deal.Not sure if ya loaded many shotgun shells but the charge bar works by volume, not weight. They're close but, not a perfect weight every time. Ur better off to, just buy the factory stuff.

The reason I shoot TSS is I can get 12 ga lead performance with a 20 ga with TSS WITHOUT the jaw shattering recoil of the 12.
I get the less recoil part. I don't shoot pump guns with turkey loads. I've always shot turkeys with my weighted 9.5 lb Remington 1100. It's my waterfowl gun and it's weighted to tame recoil on high volume spring snow goose hunts. Recoil is very tolerable with the turkey loads in that set up. Walking with that gun on a sling isn't any different than my rifles.

There's a bunch of reasons TSS is overall better than lead and I understand all of them. I've pass shot geese with tungsten at ranges that are absurd.

Im cool with people shooting whatever they want. I just don't find TSS necessary for how I hunt as about 95% of the turkeys I've killed have been under 30 yards. The other 5% were under 40.

Ya put the same 1/2 oz back in , steel cuts oats is the filler, ya might not a read the whole deal.Not sure if ya loaded many shotgun shells but the charge bar works by volume, not weight. They're close but, not a perfect weight every time. Ur better off to, just buy the factory stuff.

I've done a fair amount of shotshell reloading. Even charge bars are labeled for different shot material (lead or steel). Your filler material doesn't protect your barrel, it affects how it compacts/deforms the shot when fired. They make wads for different shot material as well.
Hope what you're doing doesn't cause any harm to you or your gun.
I'm not going to comment anymore... don't want to derail this thread.

I get the less recoil part. I don't shoot pump guns with turkey loads. I've always shot turkeys with my weighted 9.5 lb Remington 1100. It's my waterfowl gun and it's weighted to tame recoil on high volume spring snow goose hunts. Recoil is very tolerable with the turkey loads in that set up. Walking with that gun on a sling isn't any different than my rifles.

There's a bunch of reasons TSS is overall better than lead and I understand all of them. I've pass shot geese with tungsten at ranges that are absurd.

Im cool with people shooting whatever they want. I just don't find TSS necessary for how I hunt as about 95% of the turkeys I've killed have been under 30 yards. The other 5% were under 40.
Yep, I don't shoot it for gaining extra yardage. Like I said it is for the lower recoil .

When I see those high end Turkey loads for 12 ga at $70+ for 5 rounds I laugh and cry. It isn't worth that. I am just starting to hunt Turkey, but that doesn't seem reasonable.

I can buy 1.75oz 3" pheasant loads for $1 each. I think those will kill a turkey...

For my sons 20ga we found some Remington turkey loads for $1.50 each...

I bet lots of Turkeys have died from non-TSS loads.

Playing with various chokes can produce some fantastic patterns at 40 yards with lead shot.

My 11/87 prints 100% at 40 yards in a 20" circle with one load and 15" circle with another lead load.

TSS has space-age-like performance in penetration and pattern density, which turns your shotgun into rifle in how you "AIM" the shotgun, which puts gun fit, choke choice, and sights into the spotlight as things to focus on to maximize your "long-range" shotshells.

We hand load our Nickel and Copper plated 12ga shells, but the TSS patterns at 60 yards just blow away our best Ni & Cu plated loads that have been painstakingly constructed and tested.

When I see those high end Turkey loads for 12 ga at $70+ for 5 rounds I laugh and cry. It isn't worth that. I am just starting to hunt Turkey, but that doesn't seem reasonable.

I can buy 1.75oz 3" pheasant loads for $1 each. I think those will kill a turkey...

For my sons 20ga we found some Remington turkey loads for $1.50 each...

I bet lots of Turkeys have died from non-TSS loads.
Take a look at the Winchester long beard turkey loads. Excellent patterns from my 12 and 20 gauge. A little more expensive than your pheasant load but not much.

Having a .410 and using it for turkey with TSS (buy it on sale in the off season for $28-32 a box)...

I use federal #7.5 lead shot for practice.
It might not group as well, but the point of impact is the same at 20-25yds.
That gets the niece and nephew comfortable with the shotguns function and how to aim, then just swap out to TSS and go hunting.

I hear you on the price, but let me share my thoughts.

I have taken 3 kids for their first ever turkey hunt, and the oldest was 8. All three used a .410 and my TSS shot. All three killed a turkey and dropped the bird stone dead. So $10 a shot, compared to an experience that will last them the rest of their lives. I feel that is money well spent.

Now, could they have killed these birds with lead turkey .410 shells? Probably, but I will say letting them know they had the "best" made them much more confident. Also, my youngest killed her first turkey with a crossbow when she was 11. Had she missed the shot at 25 yards I would have lost a $15 bolt with a $15 broad head. On top of that, there would be sharp blades still somewhere on the farm that could be unearthed at some point and be a hazard.

Am I saying the TSS is worth the price? Yes and no. Depends on the situation and the long term value. For me and the kids that took first birds with it, I would have paid $100 a shell for them to have that opportunity.

Do I shoot TSS? Nope, don't need it. I can call a bird to 5 feet if need be and could kill them with a dove load, but prefer my bow. I think TSS is a great option for kids or people who want to be ethical but might need a little more range. I did see that Magnum blend 12 gauge 3.5" is now $10 a shell at Cabela's.

We are all lucky to have so many options available to us for ammo to turkey hunt. Hope we continue to have this freedom and choice.

Last edited: