Trying to choose a rifle

Would like to stay around $600 give or take for just the rifle. Not looking to spend a lot, just looking to get back into long(er) range shooting
I recently acquired a Remington 700 sps tactical for $639.00, you should check it out.

A few months ago I got a Bergara B-14 HMR for just a tad over $900. I mounted a Meuller 8-32X scope on it that I got new for about $230. A lot of load development went into this rifle (more than any other "hunting" rifle) but I have it to the point were it is shooting about 1/4 - 1/2 MOA out to 200 yards.
My next step whenever I can get to it is to stretch its legs and get a dope sheet made up for it out to about 600 or 800 yards.

If your hunting is going to be limited to 300ish then any of your mentioned cartridges should work. It then comes down to price and rifle fit. Remington has apparently had some QA issues recently. I haven't experienced it so it could just be the internet regurgitating a few bad experiences. Or they are having issues. I have one from the early 80's and 2 from the early 00"s, one of which has been blueprinted and shoots 1 hole groups. Really happy with my Tikka T3 but prices have come up in the years since I bought mine. Still worth it in my opinion. Howa1500 and Weatherby Vanguard. Really happy with mine as well. 2 shots usually touching and the 3rd a half inch out. Will buy another and I hear the new triggers are better. Shot a buddies Ruger American. Nice rifle for the price but found the trigger on his to be a touch unrefined and the stock felt very cheap. I shot a 1.1" group at 100 yards with it though. So for price and quality its was nice. Savage, plenty has been writen about their capability. They work. Find something that fits naturally, in your budget and doesn't aggravate your shoulders. Then have fun and kill deer.

I've been leaning towards the Howa and the Savage, the Howa is about $100 less then the Savage here locally (and on buds.com)

I've been leaning towards the Howa and the Savage, the Howa is about $100 less then the Savage here locally (and on buds.com)
You cant go wrong with either, Savage. Made in ,USA and with a few tools and reasonable hand skills, you can make a savage into a semi custom .

Last edited:
So my 2 cents... I'm a Ruger fan. I like my m77's. The newer m77 Hawkeyes I've had good luck out of, the older paddle stock has probably killed more big game than any rifle in the bunch. I've got a barrage of different calibers but for an overall gun. I like the balance of the 06. My 300wm is just a little more cumbersome. I also have a little compact model 308 that's great but if I had to pick just one I'd go with the 06. If I didn't have such a love for the 77's the tikka would be my rifle of choice. I'd just suggest going in and fingering a bunch of different rifles and see what fits.

I'm looking for a rifle, I'm looking at the Ruger American rifles as well as the Remington 700 (long range and sps tactical). I'm looking at the 6.5 creedmoor, 308, 30-06, and the 300 win mag.

I have access to hunt on a farm with a max of 600 yards, there's a couple 1000+ yard ranges close by. I plan to hunt deer, hogs, and coyotes.

What do yall suggest.

I'm looking for a rifle, I'm looking at the Ruger American rifles as well as the Remington 700 (long range and sps tactical). I'm looking at the 6.5 creedmoor, 308, 30-06, and the 300 win mag.

I have access to hunt on a farm with a max of 600 yards, there's a couple 1000+ yard ranges close by. I plan to hunt deer, hogs, and coyotes.

What do yall suggest.
I have two rifles I would recommend, the Tika T3 and the Weatherby Vanguard (Howa). Both of these have glass triggers that are so sweet to use and both are very accurate. My Tika is a 300WSM and the Vanguard is a 6.5 CRD. They are reasonably priced rifles and fine performers stock from the factory.

You are on the right track with the creed or the .308 If you want somthing in a .284 caliber look at the 7mm08 great for what you want with lite recoil

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.