Trying to choose a rifle

BrushPig

I'm looking for a rifle, I'm looking at the Ruger American rifles as well as the Remington 700 (long range and sps tactical). I'm looking at the 6.5 creedmoor, 308, 30-06, and the 300 win mag.

I have access to hunt on a farm with a max of 600 yards, there's a couple 1000+ yard ranges close by. I plan to hunt deer, hogs, and coyotes.

What do yall suggest.

As far as which brand of rifle to pick for me it comes down to how a rifle fits and feels,along with budget. Which rifle gives you a natural point of aim and just feels right? All of the calibers you listed sound like solid choices for your intended purpose. If you are relatively new to shooting then the less recoil the better. The only one of those that I don't have a lot of experience with is the creed. If you plan on having only one rifle and ever think of going after game bigger than deer then it's hard to beat a 30/06. If you want to do lots of shooting than a creed or 308 would be my choice.

I'm looking for a rifle, I'm looking at the Ruger American rifles as well as the Remington 700 (long range and sps tactical). I'm looking at the 6.5 creedmoor, 308, 30-06, and the 300 win mag.

I have access to hunt on a farm with a max of 600 yards, there's a couple 1000+ yard ranges close by. I plan to hunt deer, hogs, and coyotes.

What do yall suggest.
I'd take a look at what's available in 7mm Magnum also. 30-06 recoil with 300WM trajectory.

IMO, the 6.5 creed and 308 are gonna be a bit underpowered for 600 yd hunting and 1000 yd targets. They'll get there, but are not ideal for drop and wind deflection. Even 30-06 will be approaching minimum reliable expansion velocity at 600 yds.

I don't intend to hunt that far, hoping I can call the animals in closer. Thats just the furthest distance of the field. I do like the 7mm

I am partial to the 7mm Rem Mag. But, with your original parameters, I'd definately go with the 300 Win Mag.

If you're looking for a Rem. 700 platform, I would recommend looking in the for sale section, for any Police and Special Service (PSS) model, or a Sendero SF II.

Lots of really nice semi custom Rem. 700 in 300 Win Mag., available right now in the for sale section.

Last edited:

What do yall suggest.
Do yourself a favor and pass on the remington. The only decent one out there in my opinion is the 5r Gen 2 and you will still need to buy an aftermarket trigger. I would take a strong look at Tikka, Bergara, and Savage. There are several new model 110's with the accufit accustock that are awesome. My son has a 110 storm and it drives tacks. The high country looks crazy cool too and comes in some great calibers. I would go 280 Ackley or 6.5 PRC personally.

I've been thinking about the howa and the savage 110 tactical. Obviously I would change the stock and probably the trigger. Which of the two are better?

I've been thinking about the howa and the savage 110 tactical. Obviously I would change the stock and probably the trigger. Which of the two are better?
You may not need to change the stock on the Savage. The new AccuFit system looks pretty darn slick. I've got an older Accustock, and the way it grips the receiver is quite good. With the adjustability of the new system, it might be a plug and play system.

I also would give a thumbs up on a Savage. I bought a 300WM a few years ago, shot it out, rebarreled it with OEM, shot it out again, then rebarreled with a Shilen pre-fit. The ability to re-barrel easily is a major plus for the Savage system.

In fact, I'm happy enough with Savage, that I just purchased another one.

As an aside, they've got a $100 rebate going for AccuFit models, which ends Nov 31st. I saw the 110 Desert Tactical in 300WM for right around $570 at a couple online shops, so $470 if you buy soon. That's a heck of a lot of gun for the price.

So I've been reading and I'm thinking about the Ruger American predator/hunter (I like the magpul stock) a Savage 110 tactical, and a Howa with heavy barrel. I like the tikka rifles but a little more then I'm wanting to spend on a rifle (I'm sure its worth it) I'm leaning towards a 308 or 6.5 creedmoor or similar short action cartridge. I'm thinking my max hunting shots will be around 300 yards or less. Still plan to shoot further for target.

I've torn my left rotator cuff twice and have bursitis in both shoulders since I sold my 7mm, I was able to shoot my brothers rifles this afternoon. His 7mm was too much for my shoulders, but his 308 was enjoyable to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.