Triangle X Ranch

samson

Good afternoon. I am headed to Triangle X Ranch this fall and want to know if any of you have used them. I've heard many good things about this outfitter but would like to hear from anyone who has used them. Not really sure what to expect as I've never used a guide for any hunt, nor traveled that far on horse. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I have hunted with them twice. I live in Jackson and know them as well. Both hunts were good and successful for myself and my cousin who came along on one of them. Feel free to ask me any particular questions, or in a DM. Yes you will ride a horse a long way to get to camp, and also everyday of the hunt. 10 day hunt with 1 day ride in (20+ miles), then 8 days hunting, then long ride out.

I have hunted with them twice. I live in Jackson and know them as well. Both hunts were good and successful for myself and my cousin who came along on one of them. Feel free to ask me any particular questions, or in a DM. Yes you will ride a horse a long way to get to camp, and also everyday of the hunt. 10 day hunt with 1 day ride in (20+ miles), then 8 days hunting, then long ride out.

20+ mile ride in on a horse is no picnic unless you are used to riding. I wouldn't want to look forward to that. samson, if you book it, try to get as much riding in as you can before you go, and if you're not familiar with horses and/or riding try to find a local stable that can give you some proper ways to handle your horse before you leave for the hunt. The trailhead at the start of the hunt is no place to get those instructions.

Good knowledgeable guides?
Yes, I hunted out of their Lower Camp the first time with my cousin. They assign hunters to guides in typical 2 on 1 fashion. They split up the big hunt area into 4 quadrants and each guide is assigned to one quadrant so they only hunt that specific area all season. They should know that area very well. We were on the 2nd hunt of the season, we were lucky that it snowed 2 ft during that hunt and the elk finally came out of Yellowstone and my cousin got a nice 315" bull on last day. We saw 100s that day and lots of g-bears. TriangleX uses a electric fence around their entire camp to keep bears out. Each day you getup early 4am, have breakfast and the wranglers get your horse saddled and you get off early morning for the hour or so ride to your hunting location. You will spend the day out with a lunch and after the morning hunt will tie up somewhere and rest have a warming fire, glass. You will hunt till dark and then ride back in the dark. Yes you should be comfortable with horses and ride during the summer. I saw in another thread you were asking what bullet for elk in your 6.5prc. My answer of the 3 you mentioned would be the 140gr gmx or other copper bullet. I will say that most western wyoming outfitters would like you to shoot a 7mm or 30 caliber rifle for elk. Bring something you are most comfortable with and shoot well.

Thanks. I have been riding a while now, trying to get used to it. 🤞. As far as rifles, i'm taking my 300 PRC. Am comfortable w that to 800 yards. Only bit heavier than my 6.5.

SnakeRiver - great info, thank you. I am booked for 2025. I'm curious which weeks you hunted with them? Week 1 is the Buggle hunt, with week 4 usually being the snowy hunt, although deep snow and the migration can happen during any week. Thx!

Samson - which week are you hunting…..although I realize you may not know yet? Please post a detailed report upon your return. Thx!