Tikka long action?

Mudrunner, I'd get in the business of brokering builds if $1,200 shooters could be had instead of whining about anything hornady. Have you seriously called and inquired about a 700 build from reputable smiths in the last 5 years?
Why would I? I have a local guy that builds high-quality 1/4-1/2 minute rifles for a **** good price.

Instead of the word "reputable", I'd substitute in "professional". Because mine is locally reputable, but it is not his main profession, so I guess he's not truly a "professional" gunsmith.

If that means his rifles are worth less than someone else's based solely on the name of the man who built them, instead of the rifle's quality and merit, then so be it. But I don't build guns to resale, I collect.

Last edited:
Can I have name of smith, cartridges built and pics of 1/4 targets?
I can ask him if he wants his name out there on the interwebz, but that's up to him, since this is not his main profession. I'll see if I can find some pictures of my targets. I don't take pictures of every group, or keep detailed record logs, or keep all my targets like some of y'all do. I'm not a BR or competitive shooter.

Cartridges are two 7mm RemMags, .25-06 AI, .30-06 AI, 7mm STW, and .300 Ackley so far...

I can ask him if he wants his name out there on the interwebz, but that's up to him, since this is not his main profession. I'll see if I can find some pictures of my targets. I don't take pictures of every group, or keep detailed record logs, or keep all my targets like some of y'all do. I'm not a BR or competitive shooter.

Cartridges are two 7mm RemMags, .25-06 AI, .30-06 AI, 7mm STW, and .300 Ackley so far...
So you grand stand regarding your $1200 rifles yet refuse to out this wizard of lathe and chamber? For all of your past posts, and I must admit I respect most of what I've read, I figured you would be quick to say who this great unknown is. You love helping people, remember? I own rifles from Gradous, Stair, Gardner etc and I'm a nobody on here. I have paid well over $1200. When you get called on the mysterious smiths prices, which are unheard of in the industry, he becomes essentially a shade tree mechanic. Man, cmon.

So you grand stand regarding your $1200 rifles yet refuse to out this wizard of lathe and chamber? For all of your past posts, and I must admit I respect most of what I've read, I figured you would be quick to say who this great unknown is. You love helping people, remember? I own rifles from Gradous, Stair, Gardner etc and I'm a nobody on here. I have paid well over $1200. When you get called on the mysterious smiths prices, which are unheard of in the industry, he becomes essentially a shade tree mechanic. Man, cmon.
I am not being shadowy about him out of deception. He is a very particular individual, and I respect his privacy. He is not a professional gunsmith, it is his side-hobby, because he loves building rifles. If he does not want his name online, that is up to him, not me. If he charges very afforfable fees for his time and labor, that is his choice, not mine. I am just the customer. If he did not produce quality work, I would not continue to use him, or have had 6 rifles built by him. Pretty simple.

I have never lied to anyone on here before, and I expect the same from others. I have no reason to lie, what do I gain? It's not like I'm trying to profit from this, I'm not trying to advertise for him, or sell anyone snake oil. I'm simply stating that it is perfectly possible to have a custom rifle built by someone who is a competent smith, without breaking the bank.

All I did was offer the OP a second option, and everyone wants to fly off the handle. Y'all talk about me hating on Hornady, but don't look in the mirror of your own hypocrisy hating on me or Remington (of whom I have no affiliation with). Respect, hate, or be indifferent of my opinions...I'm fine either way. But I have never once intentionally deceived anyone for personal gain.

Last edited:
I am not being shadowy about him out of deception. He is a very particular individual, and I respect his privacy. He is not a professional gunsmith, it is his side-hobby, because he loves building rifles. If he does not want his name online, that is up to him, not me. If he charges very afforfable fees for his time and labor, that is his choice, not mine. I am just the customer. If he did not produce quality work, I would not continue to use him, or have had 6 rifles built by him. Pretty simple.

I have never lied to anyone on here before, and I expect the same from others. I have no reason to lie, what do I gain? It's not like I'm trying to profit from this, I'm not trying to advertise for him, or sell anyone snake oil. I'm simply stating that it is perfectly possible to have a custom rifle built by someone who is a competent smith, without breaking the bank.

All I did was offer the OP a second option, and everyone wants to fly off the handle. Y'all talk about me hating on Hornady, but don't look in the mirror of your own hypocrisy hating on me or Remington (of whom I have no affiliation with). Respect, hate, or be indifferent of my opinions...I'm fine either way. But I have never once intentionally deceived anyone for personal gain.
Just to be clear, my post was in regard to your aggrandizing a 1200 build. You know it's out of the ordinary. As for the name, it's all good. I prefer things in black and white rather than mysterious. So I get that.

For the rest, that's none of my concern. I don't reload and I own plenty of Remmy actioned rifles.

And just to lighten the mood, y'all remember lawn darts? Make sure nothing has been chewing on your lift chord.
CD758DDB-563B-4AB7-B601-FDB2DFE43CFC.jpeg

Just to be clear, my post was in regard to your aggrandizing a 1200 build. You know it's out of the ordinary. As for the name, it's all good. I prefer things in black and white rather than mysterious. So I get that.

For the rest, that's none of my concern. I don't reload and I own plenty of Remmy actioned rifles.
In the professional realm of pricing, yes, it is out of the ordinary, but nonetheless, it is what it is.

As for the rest of it, I was just setting the record straight.

I built all mine for under $1,200 each... Your fluffing prices to push an opinion. Let's be honest instead of biased.

So, who is fluffing prices to push an opinion, let's be honest instead of biased!!!

The only thing the Rem has on the Tikka is when you want a true long action round, for a short action or med length action the Rem won't touch the Tikka. The list of goodness is so weighted in the Tikka's favor it's a little shocking!!
If I could find a way to get a container full of actions I'd be set for building hunting rifles not only at a high quality but the price point would be unbeatable!!

So, who is fluffing prices to push an opinion, let's be honest instead of biased!!!

The only thing the Rem has on the Tikka is when you want a true long action round, for a short action or med length action the Rem won't touch the Tikka. The list of goodness is so weighted in the Tikka's favor it's a little shocking!!
If I could find a way to get a container full of actions I'd be set for building hunting rifles not only at a high quality but the price point would be unbeatable!!
You are correct about the long action 700 having an advantage, but wouldn't say it's thd only one. Aftermarket and custom accessories markets both go to the 700 as well. Not to mention parts are plentiful and everywhere. Yes, the medium action tikka holds an advantage over the short action 700. Won't argue that one, because it's a fact.

I never once said the Tikka was bad, I only said he had another option because he was looking for a factory-offered bare action to start with. So I showed him another option. And everyone went bezerk.

As for the fluffing of prices, you know that what some of these guys charge is pretty egregious. It's a free-market system and they can charge what they want, but people shouldn't get upset when someone comes along and offers an equal product at competitive prices. That's how the free-market system stays in check.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.