Tikka long action?

Then you have to have it trued, then you gotta buy an aftermarket trigger... with a tikka just screw the barrel on and shoot. Lot easier to find a 700 stock though. That my biggest con for tikkas at the moment.
Every single action that is mass-produced, including most customs, will still not be 100%, and will need to have the receiver face trued, even if it's by a much smaller margin for the customs.

Almost every other action you will still need to buy a trigger for. Most customs do not even come with a trigger, so that's an expense most factor in regardless. Haven't had a lot of interaction with a T3, so I can't vouch for the trigger quality, but I'd best guess that it will still be lacking to an aftermarket unit, even if it does turn out to be better than a stock Remington trigger. Which doesn't take much considering how horrible the XMP triggers are.

If I was building a rifle, there's no way I would just have a barrel screwed on without blueprinting to ensure everything is square and true.

Then you have to have it trued, then you gotta buy an aftermarket trigger... with a tikka just screw the barrel on and shoot. Lot easier to find a 700 stock though. That my biggest con for tikkas at the moment.
OR, you could buy a Caliber "close" to what you "need" and ONE that, you can "handle" the recoil, to kill/do, what you want ! SKIP, the Rem 700 as, stated above as, it's way CHEAPER, to go with, the Tikka T3- T3X's. Tikka's ARE great, Rifles, with, SLIGHT modification's, like,.. adjust Factory Trigger to 2-2.5 Pounds or buy, a YoDave Spring, to 1 Pound !! Put on, a LimbSaver Pad and a Ballistic Nylon Cheek Rest, to raise Comb up for Scope and be sure to check, the "Free float" around barrel ( my .270 WSM, was rubbing the forend ). You GET a 70 degree Bolt lift, so your thumb, DOESN'T hit, the Scope, a nice strong, SAKO Extractor and accurate, Sako Barrel's, a TOUGH Plastic stock that, DOESN'T need, replacing, IMO! LOTS of good things to say about Tikka's ( I WISH they were, made in America ). I WAS going to "Build", a 6mmSLR out of my .22-250 Rem 700, GLAD I just bought a Tikka T-3 in .243 Win instead, I SAVED a TON of $$$ and my new, L-H Tikka shoots Sub 1/2 MOA with, Handloads! My .270 WSM, T3, prints UNDER 1 MOA with the Factory stock and the POI, is "repeatable" for, "Cold Bore", shots ! I found NO reason, to replace, the stocks. PS; did I mention the Bolt, in a Tikka is as SMOOTH as,.. Glass !!! Good Luck !

Last edited:
Rem 700 "build",.. Action and Magazine,..$500 IF, lucky, True action and Bolt, $250-$350, Barrel $325, Labor to install bbl. $350, Trigger $140 for Timney, Stock $400 for H-S precision OR,.. MORE, for a McMillan etc.,
So about, $2,000 Minimum,.. vs a Tikka,.. $600-$750 for Rifle + $100 for "upgrade goodies" ! About, $1,200+ in SAVINGS that, could be used for, Scope and Mt's and,.. an out of state Tag ???

The first time anyone I know got an aftermarket barrel screwed on was my brother. He had a 700 and a 695 I believe. He asked the smith what was the best option. Smith said to use the Tikka since they are usually true from the factory and you don't need to spend the money on them like you do a Remington.

He had a Brux screwed on and the gun was a true 0.25" gun. Gunsmith was Southern Precision.

You can find a used Tikka for around $400 shipped. That's the route I go when I want a Tikka to build off of.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.