Tikka Load development

I'm running 73.2 gr H1000 with 168 gr. Berger Hunting VLDs. 3020 fps from my 7mm T3. I was afraid I wouldn't get good precision because magazine length is a few miles from the lands. My fears were unfounded. RL26 gave me great velocity but there would inevitably be a flyer or two in a five shot string. Maybe user error, maybe not. H1000 works for me. Obviously work up. I believe this is above max in some guides. Works fine for me with Hornady brass.

I'm running 73.2 gr H1000 with 168 gr. Berger Hunting VLDs. 3020 fps from my 7mm T3. I was afraid I wouldn't get good precision because magazine length is a few miles from the lands. My fears were unfounded. RL26 gave me great velocity but there would inevitably be a flyer or two in a five shot string. Maybe user error, maybe not. H1000 works for me. Obviously work up. I believe this is above max in some guides. Works fine for me with Hornady brass.

I just bought 180 Berger vld for my tikka 300WM... should I load them or return them? If return, what should I get as an alternative? Obviously I want highest BC and best seating... oh and this is a LR hunting application.... and you are correct the VLD's are a mile from the lands.

35, a majority of members on this forum are using the 210 VLD or 215 Hybrid Bergers in 300WM with awesome accuracy. Referred to as the "Broz" load using H1000 and having excellent terminal results. I'm starting some loads of these two bullets tomorrow for a friend. The 230 Berger OTM is another being used in the 300WM.

I'm using the 210 vld in my 300 win and it's super picky on seating depth. Luckily the sendero has a huge mag box and can handle any seating depth. I'm right at the lands to get good results but haven't tried jamming as its a hunting rifle. I may try to in the near feature just to see what happens. Mine shoots 3 shots touching with a couple flyers in a 5 shot group but still holds moa for all 5 shots and sometimes better. Not sure if it's the shooter or the load is how it shoots honestly.

Ok I have a Tikka T3 lite in 7mm rem mag.
I loaded up some loads using 162 grain Eldx.
I have found that for my cartridge to fit in the magizine I am .060" off lands. So I borrowed a Sierra 175 grain gameking off a buddy and measured and I will easily be able to be with in .010-.020" off lands using those bullets.
My question is am I wasting my time finding accuracy with the eldx bullets being I am so far off lands?
Should I go with a gameking or a 160 grain accubond?
This rifle will be used for mainly elk or possibly mulie out to 500 yards.
Is magazine modification an option? I had to do something similar on my Sako A7 to be able to use the magazine. Actually spent last season running it single-shot until I could get the mods made.

I did load development and came up with .0013" off the lands as the sweet spot. It was fairly minor to get the magazine modified to work.

I looked into that. It looks like there is a metal tab that runs down the front of the magizine right where the tip of the bullet would be. It has been shooting pretty good so I will leave it alone. A Barnes hollow point or a something of that design would probably get you closer to lands.

With my T3 stainless in 7 mag I loaded 160gr sierra game kings hp's, 162 a-maxs and 169 ablrs all to under .75 moa with mag length seating depths. I was using plain old IMR-4831, the sweet spot was around 2880 no where near hot. The ablr's and the sgk's were the best shooters of the group holding a half moa. I never tried loading any of them long.

My buddy bought a T3 in 300 wsm that we had a fit trying to work loads set close to the lands, wound up shooting everything better at mag length.

My new T3 in 300 win doesn't seem to care what length I seat them.

What I'm getting at is don't assume closer is better. It usually is, but sometimes its not

The only rifle I've tried the ELDx in is my 6.5x 284 and I've honestly just been playing with it. So far it doesn't seem tempermental, but the 6.5 shoots everything pretty well so YMMV

Last edited:
Curious how does that T3 handle temp? I have read some people firing 3 shot groups, with little cool down. But would think with a light gun, it would get hot.
It varies rifle to rifle, my 7mag would shoot a 5 shot group as well in succession as it would spaced apart, My buddies 300wsm shoots well till it gets too hot to touch, my 300 win starts to open up after 3 shots

Not to get off the bullet/lands thread to much but has anyone installed the limbsaver airtech recoil pad on the Tikka T3 ? If so does it fit nice and look like it belongs on the rifle?

Not to get off the bullet/lands thread to much but has anyone installed the limbsaver airtech recoil pad on the Tikka T3 ? If so does it fit nice and look like it belongs on the rifle?
If you are talking about the model specific ones I've put them on both of mine they use the same holes, and don't look out of place, I've never tried the slip on. I would also buy the tikka performance oversized stainless recoil lug, my 7mm rook about 400 rnds before the recoil lug became an issue.

If you are talking about the model specific ones I've put them on both of mine they use the same holes, and don't look out of place, I've never tried the slip on. I would also buy the tikka performance oversized stainless recoil lug, my 7mm rook about 400 rnds before the recoil lug became an issue.
Yea it's the replacement screw on one.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.