Thoughts On Oregon & Washington As Hunting States

My point is you and everyone else wants to move to those places and it kinda ruined what made the west special. Not to mention the politics of the west coast states are not my cup of tea. Oh and if you do move out there plan on either not being able to get home owners insurance or be prepared to pay a premium for it. Due to wildfire becoming a (ecologically necessary) bigger part of our lives out here insurance is challenge for some folks in high risk (read scenic in the woods) areas. Smoke is a big part too. Plenty of smoke in the air these days for those with any kind of respiratory issues. Again necessary smoke but smoke nonetheless.

Not trying to discourage but the reality of living in the western US is not sunshine and rainbows like it is during hunting season.
^^ Exactly. I've been in Idaho most of my life. It and the rest of the West are not at all what they used to be. The influx of people has changed everything about it. The acceleration toward becoming homogenous and overrun is well underway. And the hunting pressure in Idaho has absolutely exploded. Surface poops and TP left behind are becoming more and more common just like trails turned into roads by OHV's and pristine fields turned into new campsites by ignorant campers (often hunters). It is quickly being loved to death by people that have no idea how or interest in taking care of public land. Still, for many people coming from crappier places they think it's awesome, while having no idea how different it was even just 10 years ago. Where I live, we've had Californians coming here since they put the first chairlift in 80+ years ago. In the last few years it's become mostly Texans as they have apparently filled up CO now. You can pick on places where people come from, but the bottom line is there are just too many people. But that's a conversation about breeding and over-population and that's something that we cannot discuss in this country. I digress. Living surrounded by public land, I get to see it everyday. I know I'm blessed, but sometimes it feels like a curse seeing how stupid people are when it comes to taking care of public land. Enjoy your move and hope you find your field of dreams out here.

Yep! Need to have a new state formed. Call it the bluer than blue state. Change the name of one state to that. That way people would know where to go. Only need one county deep on the coast to allow them to have there blue state. That where

This information is from the 2023 Washington big game regulations for elk and Turnbull drawings with an eastside tag (WA requires you pick Westside (Roosevelt) or Eastside (Rocky Mountain) for elk. Turnbull is an Eastside tag.
Bull elk:
1 Quality bull elk - Archery/ML/Modern firearm.
3 Spike bull elk - 1 each from archery, ML, MF
Antlerless:
12 Archery -
16 Muzzle loader
10 Modern firearm -
5 Master hunter - antlerless

Total of 47 tags for Turnbull. I don't know where to look for the success rate for that unit and it is basically a park. https://www.fws.gov/refuge/turnbull/visit-us/activities/hunting
47 tags with

Attachments

• 1695137471661.png
    1695137471661.png
    172 KB · Views: 36
^^ Exactly. I've been in Idaho most of my life. It and the rest of the West are not at all what they used to be. The influx of people has changed everything about it. The acceleration toward becoming homogenous and overrun is well underway. And the hunting pressure in Idaho has absolutely exploded. Surface poops and TP left behind are becoming more and more common just like trails turned into roads by OHV's and pristine fields turned into new campsites by ignorant campers (often hunters). It is quickly being loved to death by people that have no idea how or interest in taking care of public land. Still, for many people coming from crappier places they think it's awesome, while having no idea how different it was even just 10 years ago. Where I live, we've had Californians coming here since they put the first chairlift in 80+ years ago. In the last few years it's become mostly Texans as they have apparently filled up CO now. You can pick on places where people come from, but the bottom line is there are just too many people. But that's a conversation about breeding and over-population and that's something that we cannot discuss in this country. I digress. Living surrounded by public land, I get to see it everyday. I know I'm blessed, but sometimes it feels like a curse seeing how stupid people are when it comes to taking care of public land. Enjoy your move and hope you find your field of dreams out here.

We, as in planet earth (especially America), are way overdue for a really good, strong Carrington type event or a few big EMTs detonated overhead! About an 80% thinning of the American human population within the first year…..wildlife will not be affected! 😉 memtb

@7mm man , in answer to some of your questions.
I am writing about Oregon only.
It's cheaper for me to hunt the same number of tags as a PA non-resident than it is to hunt as an Oregon resident (sans Elk license). Plus, I can bag more than one deer with the proper tags.

Politically, this state is your worst woke nightmare, doing it's best to one-up CA and WA with their woke policies. When I moved here, I was a self-described anti-union, no-big-gov liberal, voting mostly D with the occasional R. Since 2008, when I woke up to the damage done by the leftists with their policies, I have swung hard right.

Drugs are everywhere here, fentanyl being the worst. The homeless problem is completely out of control in the greater Portland, Salem and Eugene areas too. Many of them have assembled "communes" on the edges of state and federal forests. We call them "fringers". They live a life without rule of law.

Nature in Oregon can be thought of regionally.
IMO, when you look at its diversity, and amount of public land, it's one of the most beautiful states in the union.
Eastern Oregon is basically high desert, though there is plenty of farmland, forests and greenery. From Bend to the ocean, you're looking at a three hour drive.
SE Oregon is a desert (Alvord Desert).
The Cascade range hosts amazing recreation on both the wet and dry sides, and is home to millions of acres of national forests. There is great fly fishing on the Deschutes River.
Between the Cascade range and the coastal range is the region known as "The Valley". It's basically the Willamette, Umpqua and Rogue rivers. South of the Rogue (~Canyonville, OR), the land rises up for the Siskiyou Mountains. I joke with people, the temperate weather turns folk into wimps. Hardly ever drops below 40°F and maybe a month of >90° at 25% RH. It astounds me how many complain when it gets freezing or hits 90. Like I said, wimps.
Something like 80% of Oregon's population lives in the valley. Most are flaming libtards.
West of the Coastal range, you have maybe 30 miles of land before you hit the Pacific. It is wild, beautiful territory where five months of the year the rains come in sideways.
In general, Elk in Oregon are Roosevelt west of the Cascade range, Rocky Mountain on the east side.
Hunting success figures are well documented. The state quotes success rates of all species by the submitted reports, and some seem inflated by past articles I read. Historically the Elk success rate on the coastal range is <15%.
Elk and deer archery hunting season is basically the month of September. Rifle tags for east of the cascades are generally difficult to win. Some tags have a season that is six months, October through April.
Forget about sheep, goat or antelope tags. Friends with 30 points are still waiting...
I've only hunted blacktail deer here by stalking on the coast. Friends are much more successful using tree stands. I've crept up on does, but the bucks are elusive and I've only bagged one. The Columbia white tail deer here is protected. As I understand, you can find mulies in the valley and east of the Cascades.
I scored a master hunter Elk tag for the lower Columbia, and found plenty of elk -- all on private land. I also came across several tweaker camps and abandoned motor homes, etc. I have been appalled at the amount of low-life traffic in the Siuslaw and Tillamook forests.
When I hunt, I'm always carrying a 10mm or 357, because I have met some downright menacing people out in the woods.

For other species, rockchucks, and belding squirrels (sagerats) are favorites among varmint hunter acquaintances.
Loads and loads of coyote opportunities exist here.
When out hunting, I'll also bring a shotgun for quail, chukar and grouse.

On Jehovah's Witnesses, I have seen plenty of JW Kingdom halls along the coast and the southern valley. I would recommend you and the Mrs visit several communities and congregations, and the welcoming ones will even put you onto opportunities. From the JWs I have known, they are tight communities who dig deep to help each other.

For areas to consider, I'd recommend the valley between Cottage Grove and Canyonville, or the coast between Waldport and Coos Bay.
Then I would buy as much acreage as I could afford (over 40 acres), backing up to the Willamette/Rogue/Siskiyou or Siuslaw NF, stick build a house and get Land Owner Preference for every tag allowed.
Plant Hazelnuts, which draw in the elk, get EFU property tax relief and then also get a 'hair tag' for predation by elk.

Tax wise, Oregon stinks, plain and simple, though there are some great tax and estate planning attorneys here.

edited for corrections and to add more info....

Last edited:
It's cheaper for me to hunt the same number of tags as a PA non-resident than it is to hunt as an Oregon resident (sans Elk license). Plus, I can bag more than one deer with the proper tags.

Politically, this state is your worst woke nightmare, doing it's best to one-up CA and WA with their woke policies. When I moved here, I was a self-described anti-union, no-big-gov liberal, voting mostly D with the occasional R. Since 2008, when I woke up to the damage done by the leftists with their policies, I have swung hard right.

Drugs are everywhere here, fentanyl being the worst. The homeless problem is completely out of control in the greater Portland, Salem and Eugene areas too. Many of them have assembled "communes" on the edges of state and federal forests. We call them "fringers". They live a life without rule of law.

IMO, when you look at its diversity, and amount of public land, it's one of the most beautiful states in the union.
Eastern Oregon is basically high desert, though there is plenty of farmlan, forests and greenery. From Bend to the ocean, you're looking at three hours.
The Cascade range hosts amazing recreation on both the wet and dry sides, and is home to millions of acres of national forests. There is great fly fishing on the Deschutes River.
Between the Cascade range and the coastal range is the region known as "The Valley". It's basically the Willamette, Umpqua and Rogue rivers. South of the Rogue (~Canyonville, OR), the land rises up for the Siskiyou Mountains. I joke with people, the temperate weather turns folk into wimps. Hardly ever drops below 40°F and maybe a month of >90° at 25% RH. It astounds me how many complain when it gets freezing or hits 90. Like I said, wimps.
Something like 80% of Oregon's population lives in the valley. Most are flaming libtards.
West of the Coastal range, you have maybe 30 miles of land before you hit the Pacific. It is wild, beautiful territory where five months of the year the rains come in sideways.
In general, Elk in Oregon are Roosevelt west of the Cascade range, Rocky Mountain on the east side.
Hunting success figures are well documented. The state quotes success rates of all species by the submitted reports, but historically the Elk success rate on the coastal range is <15%. Forget about sheep, goat or antelope tags. Friends with 30 points are still waiting...

I have seen plenty of JW Kingdom halls along the coast and the southern valley. I would recommend you and the Mrs visit several communities and congregations, and the welcoming ones will even put you onto opportunities. From the JWs I have known, they are tight communities who dig deep to help each other.

For areas to consider, I'd recommend the valley between Cottage Grove and Canyonville, or the coast between Waldport and Coos Bay.
Then I would buy as much acreage as I could afford (over 40 acres), backing up to the Willamette/Rogue/Siskiyou or Siuslaw NF, stick build a house and get Land Owner Preference for every tag allowed.
Plant Hazelnuts, which draw in the Elk.

Tax wise, Oregon stinks, plain and simple, though there are some great tax and estate planning attorneys here.
Well said.

So I've lived in oregon for 30+ years, Idaho for 4. I'm back in oregon and won't leave, primarily due to family. To answer your actual question and not get bogged down in the political drama -

I live in southern oregon, in the Medford area. 2 hours from the coast, everything you need in Medford, the woods aren't more than 30 minutes in any direction.

Blacktail hunting is hard, but we have some of the biggest blacktail in the country. The woods are thick with them. Some spots are crowded, but plenty are not. Blm has shut down some access roads due to illegal dumping, but spend an extra 10 minutes of driving and half an hour of walking and you will be in great country with no one around.

Predator populations are high, which means bear and lion hunting is great (although no dogs on hunts).

Elk leave a lot to be desired. That's the biggest detractor. In SW oregon, success rates for general rifle are about 5% for elk. You can find them, but there's not a lot. I grew up hearing stories of how thick the woods were with hunters during elk season but that hasn't been my experience the last 15 years or so. No one wants to walk, and where we hunt they shut a lot of roads down during season, so the heavy concentration of people is where road hunting is an open option.

Politically oregon is a confusing jumble, and who knows where it will go. The greater Idaho thing that everyone likes to talk about will never happen, just like the state of Jefferson will never happen.
Thanks for the very informative answer.

Eastern Oregon is basically high desert, though there is plenty of farmland, forests and greenery. From Bend to the ocean, you're looking at a three hour drive.
Hunting success figures are well documented. The state quotes success rates of all species by the submitted reports, and some seem inflated by past articles I read. Historically the Elk success rate on the coastal range is <15%.
Elk and deer archery hunting season is basically the month of September. Rifle tags for east of the cascades are generally difficult to win. Some tags have a season that is six months, October through April.
Forget about sheep, goat or antelope tags. Friends with 30 points are still waiting...
I've only hunted blacktail deer here by stalking on the coast. Friends are much more successful using tree stands. I've crept up on does, but the bucks are elusive and I've only bagged one. The Columbia white tail deer here is protected. As I understand, you can find mulies in the valley and east of the Cascades.
I scored a master hunter Elk tag for the lower Columbia, and found plenty of elk -- all on private land. I also came across several tweaker camps and abandoned motor homes, etc. I have been appalled at the amount of low-life traffic in the Siuslaw and Tillamook forests.
When I hunt, I'm always carrying a 10mm or 357, because I have met some downright menacing people out in the woods.

For other species, rockchucks, and belding squirrels (sagerats) are favorites among varmint hunter acquaintances.
Loads and loads of coyote opportunities exist here.
When out hunting, I'll also bring a shotgun for quail, chukar and grouse.

On Jehovah's Witnesses, I have seen plenty of JW Kingdom halls along the coast and the southern valley. I would recommend you and the Mrs visit several communities and congregations, and the welcoming ones will even put you onto opportunities. From the JWs I have known, they are tight communities who dig deep to help each other.

Plant Hazelnuts, which draw in the elk, get EFU property tax relief and then also get a 'hair tag' for predation by elk.

edited for corrections and to add more info....
Very helpful answer. I have property in central PA (Union County) with a small cabin that would be part of my cash out. Hunting there is fine, but I get tired of whitetails. I have put in for 5 years for the elk tags but it will be another 30 years before I probably get pulled. I appreciate the JW insight. I have to keep the wife happy.

Eastern Washington has all you are looking for. Some of the best fishing you will find in this country. Hunting is very good. We have over 7 million acres of national forests. Millions of state and DNR land available.
Bear and Cougar are fair chase only. Bear season is 3.5 months long. Cougar is 5+ months. Forest grouse galore. Mule deer in cental Washington scab lands are huge.
I think if I can get my wife to agree to the coleville area I might be content. Thanks.

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but anyone moving (or just visiting) into the state of Washington its now illegal to bring any firearm magazines over 10rds and any fiream classified as an "assault rifle" into the state.
Good info to know. My state already banned "assault rifles" unless purchased before the ban. But they put the responsibility on the owner to prove they bought it before the ban. I sold all of mine before this anyway. I didn't like the way they treated my brass.

I think if I can get my wife to agree to the coleville area I might be content. Thanks.

Good Luck with the wife! If your wife is open-minded about change…..it shouldn't take her long to see and appreciate the new location!

However, when I took a job transfer to Wyoming to operate a new gas plant, many others came to Wyoming for the wide-open spaces, hunting, camping, hiking, fishing, ect. However, small population, harsh weather, lack of shopping/social life activities cause many fellow operators to leave and return to their previous home area or ended up in divorces! Many wives do not adapt well to rural living! memtb

I wouldn't trade Kentucky for either of those states! Just watch the news or read the paper.

If, and it's a really big "IF", eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington do annex themselves to Idaho….. a relocation there may give you a few more years of freedom, which is on life support everywhere east of the Mississippi! JusSay'n! 😉 memtb