Thompson Center Encore

BlackSS

What kind of accuracy can one expect with the TC Encore?
Seems a good platform to get a varied stable of guns without breaking the bank, especially for a lefty.

So what can one expect? .5 .6 .7 .8 .9 1.0 MOA ????

Expect 1 MOA. May get better and may get worse.

Do some reading on Encores and how to set up dies etc on Mike Bellm's website. Best info around on the TCs.

Home

I have 3Encores and 3 contenders and extra barrels.

BH

Are there aftermarket barrels available that make a significant impact on accuracy?

Yes, all the info on them is on the website I mentioned.

You have three mainly. Bergara, Virgin Valley and Bull Berry

The last two will start at $400+

However, depending on your barrel, you might not have much to gain after you look at the hinge pin and proper head spacing.

BH

Assuming I correct the hinge issue and get the headspace correct, am I still only looking at an MOA gun?

Another perhaps stupid question.

Is there really any difference between the pro hunter and the standard encore aside from the extra 2 inches in barrel length?

Do the barrels for these guns generally have the faster twist rates needed to stabilize the heavy for caliber bullets?

Last edited:
As you stated the pro hunter barrel is 2" longer and is also fluted. Virgin river is no longer in business. Match Grade Machine (MGM) in St. George, Utah makes "A" no 1 barrels for Encore in any twist and length you would like. I have 5 MGM barrel's all shoot MOA or less. I'm sure you can tell I love the Encore. I have 4 pro hunter frames with trigger job and 0.001 oversize hinge pin.

Good luck with your project.

JIm gun)

I think I'm going to give the pro hunter a try. I received a TC muzzle loader for X-mas, I'm going to take it back and put the $ towards the encore....unless something else grabs my attention at the store, lol

Thanks for that link, I looked around but didn't find it.
Why would a 340 WBY be available in the break action and not a 338 RUM or 338 LM?

Wait.....don't take it back. You can use the ProHunter barrels on the regular Encore frames, and vis-versa. I do!

Hinge pin....shouldn't be necessary right from the get go. And to tell you the truth, I wouldn't buy a frame that has had an over-sized pin driven in(personal thing, YMMV) and a lot of other people wouldn't either(if you ever consider selling).

But a hanger for the forearm is a great add-on. I use Stratton hangers and noticed a immediate improvement, cutting group size in half(or better).

The biggest problem(if you can call it a problem) is getting a good trigger job. The factory, anti-lawyer trigger just stinks, but there are folks out there that do an outstanding job 'cleaning them up'.

Beware of the snake oil.....

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.