Things I learned Shooting Crop Damage Deer by Dave King

Wow I think shooting deer like this is a waste. That is the problem with most people who own property they complain about all the deer but won't let anyone hunt there property. There just a bunch of dorks. I just don't understand, if they are afraid to have the average hunter on there property then allow bow hunters. Then they don't have to worry about bullets flying around. I'm sure you guys that do this can't enjoy hunting to its fullest anymore.

Usually the property owners started out trying to handle the problem by allowing and encouraging hunters, but many hunters are about husbanding the deer population and not about reducing the deer herd. Farmers catch on fairly quick and one thing they know for sure is that its the does that have fawns and not the bucks. When the hunters only shoot bucks the farmers lose interest in their methods pretty quick. Perhaps by the time a farmer gets done trying to handle the problem with his known means, hunters, the deer population is a problem, a problem that can only be handled well by shooters.

Many hunters are their own worst enemy with farmers... The single most common complaint I've heard from farmers and commercial producers is that the "hunters" take them for fools and only kill a few does if forced to but are mainly after bucks. The other big complaint is that having a lot of hunters running loose on the property is very hard on their (farmers) lives and property, there'll be fences run down, gates left open, trash left about, cattle run off or run through fences/gates... It's rare to find a farmer that'll let unknown folks hunt nowadays, this is becuse folks don't generally respect other folks (the farmer's) property.

Using shooters is easy for most farmers, the shooters are known and coming and going is accounted as are the deer counts. Known and verifiable results and folks that can be held accountable.

Yes, being a shooter for crop damage does change the outlook on hunting for many but the benefit for me is that I help the farmer, I can also hunt on the land as if its my own for species other than deer. I've become a very good deer hunter. Its really no longer a 'hunt' (struggle to find) for deer, I have a very good idea where and what they're up to, I can pick and choose based on my desires.

Mostly now I teach other new hunters to hunt, I get much more enjoyment out of their excitement and thrill for the hunt. I do at times feel a little guilty for walking the new guys around in circles, tracking, scouting, second guessing, learning about deer for a few hours before going to where the deer are surely to be residing and letting them get their deer.

I'm new to the LRH Forum, so I know I'm very late in replying to this article, however: That's A Darn Good Article! Thanks!

I'm new here also (Ha: all these years later!).
I think most of the people complaining or condeming do not have a complete understanding of the whole situation. Any size farmer can not afford to feed these free loaders and since there is no reimbursement for the damages, the only way to stop this is to just remove them.
I too thank you for the info. I wish that I could somehow go out with you a few times and learn to be a hunter. I hope that you are still around (all these years later!) and are still willing to share your knowledge and experience with us. Unfortunately there will always be those who complain and gripe. Hopefully the thanks and respect of the rest of us who really appreciate what you have done will make up for that and you can continue!
I really appreciated all that I learned from reading your article and appreciate all the effort you put into it! Thanks!!

After hunting deer for over 30 years I have found the greatest one shot kill placement is anywhere from the front shoulder forward. Lung shots are almost certain to leave you trying to find a deer that has run off. Double lung shots are great for archery but not rifles.

I was a state wildlife officer for 34 1/2 years. I have killed a lot of critters causing problems. As close as I can remember I killed 53 deer with one 243 Win. had 2 other 243 Win. rifles, a 270 Win. killed a lot of deer. When I went to bear country to work I changed to 308 Win. so I could use 180 gr. bullets. I wanted a bullet that I could shoot a bear in the top of shoulder, Spine area, And imobolize a bear instantly. I have seen deer pull corn down a little in milk stage, but once the corn kernels get hard and dry, the deer will tear them off the stalk and roll them around on the ground and eat the cob clean of kernels. A farmer one time had a small patch of White Corn for grinding into corn meal. he had cut and shocked it to let it dry more. Deer started eating it out of the shock. He called and complained about the deer. I was driving down the road to his house and looked down and there was a deer with its head in shock of corn. A 243 Win. 85 Gr. Sierra through the ribs and the deer died with its head in the corn shock. Mr. Fisher called me one day said deer was eating holes in his pumpkins. I stopped at his house and picked him up and we drove down to his pumpkin field. A doe deer had worked a hole into a big pumpkin and was putting its head in the pumpkin, Getting a mouth full of seeds and pulp, And pulling it head out stand and chew, Then the head went back in the pumpkin for more. Another 85 Gr, Sierra and the deer died with its head in the pumpkin. Wish I had my camera with me that day, been a unique picture.

I think fertilizer can cause damage problems to. Every tomato patch I ever investigated had, one of three fertilizers involved Miracle Grow, Sam's Walmart Version or K Marts copy version of Miracle Grow. The Brown family had 2 potato patches together in a field. Both Kenabeck certified seed, They had used Southern States fertilize on one patch, Green Acres fertilize on the other. One patch was tore up the other was not bothered.

When dealing with crippled deer is another lesson to learn. A deer that has laid around crippled for several days is hard to kill. They are full of Adrenlin and Hormones released by the brain and you can shoot them and they will just lay and look around for several minutes before they start kicking and die. You can make a good shot and the deer will make you look you can't shoot worth crap if the public is around watching.

Been there done that and have the scars to prove it.

Dave certainly knows what he is talking about. And thanks for passing this along, Len.

Part of my day job is enforcing game and fish laws. The job also includes search and rescue, along with regular law enforcement.

Back to Dave's article, it is the best I have read for a long time. The article is a great refresher and speaks of real world experience.

A lot of what Dave says applies very well concerning predation control. I have been dispatched to eliminate quite a few feral and natural wild animals. Some present real danger to people and livestock.

Dave's approach to hunting applies to some well educated varmints as well as other game we sport hunt. It also applies to rounding up some pretty smart poachers. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.