The Perfect Long Rifle

What Caliber

• Total voters
I voted for the 300WM, great round. Since I'm living and hunting in Europe I would go for the 8x68S. Very potent round, which combines great accuracy and flat trajectory. Its performance (impact) on game is lying between the 300WM and 338WM. gun)

My vote is for the 300wm. It has done everything that i have asked it to do. When you think about it, 90grn to 240grn bullets covers just about everything. Last fall I had my old trusty Rem 700 rebuilt, love it even more now. Working on a new load, giving the Berger 185 hunting vlds a try.

Matt

The 7mm Remington Magnum is the maximum round that most people can tolerate, recoil wise, and have a hope of accurately shooting, in a hunting weight rifle. It is the only named magnum round in the top 10 of most reloaded cartridges....FOR A GOOD REASON. It gets MY vote, which makes it significant. Because it is the most cartridge that most of you reading this have a faint and remote hope of ever handling correctly to its full capability, and it is available in every mom-and-pop store in the whole USA where hunting is common. And to get the most out of it, you will have to practice long and hard. It is a possibility. But not likely.

Of course, without a doubt, I could outshoot most of you, whatever you shoot, with my 7mm Mauser, just as Karamojo Bell could do if he were alive today.

And that cartridge was invented around 1893.

So have your narcissistic wet cartridge dream and vote for some esoteric magnumized cartridge that a sold-out gunwriter prostitute is pushing and you think that your couch potato *** is capable of handling using daydreaming experiences.

We will see how that plays out in the real world.

Like I said, the 7mm Rem Mag is the most cartridge that all but a VERY, VERY few can shoot accurately in a hunting weight rifle, and is readily available where you can buy beer and gas in Montana.

Just get the 7mm Rem Mag and worry more about if your favorite beer is available at the mom-and-pop store. That is more of a real world problem, if you haven't figured it out already.

The 7mm Remington Magnum is the maximum round that most people can tolerate, recoil wise, and have a hope of accurately shooting, in a hunting weight rifle. It is the only named magnum round in the top 10 of most reloaded cartridges....FOR A GOOD REASON. It gets MY vote, which makes it significant. Because it is the most cartridge that most of you reading this have a faint and remote hope of ever handling correctly to its full capability, and it is available in every mom-and-pop store in the whole USA where hunting is common. And to get the most out of it, you will have to practice long and hard. It is a possibility. But not likely.

Of course, without a doubt, I could outshoot most of you, whatever you shoot, with my 7mm Mauser, just as Karamojo Bell could do if he were alive today.

So have your narcissistic wet cartridge dream and vote for some esoteric magnumized cartridge that a sold-out gunwriter prostitute is pushing and you think that your couch potato *** is capable of handling using daydreaming experiences.

Like I said, the 7mm Rem Mag is the most cartridge that all but a VERY, VERY few can shoot accurately in a hunting weight rifle, and is readily available where you can buy beer and gas in Montana.

Just get the 7mm Rem Mag and worry more about if your favorite beer is available at the mom-and-pop store. That is more of a real world problem, if you haven't figured it out already.

I hope hope this isn't a blanket response to everyone here and it is directed towards one person in particular.

A couple of possibilities come to mind, 1) Somebody may have availed themselves of too such Montana Quick Stop beer, 2) Somebody hasn't braved the cold for this mornings kick start.

Holy s**t, that sounds like a certain politicians alter ego speaking :eek:

This has been a very informative ongoing thread with a lot of different outlooks on the subject, with members posting their views based on their actual experiences. And you just derailed it with nothing to contribute, arrogance, and making yourself look like an a--. And now others trying to gain knowledge from this will have to skip the next few pages of this thread because the next few posts will just be you arguing with other members!

Lol...7mm Mauser is a sound cartridge but the 338 Lapua Mags I saw the Brits, Spanish, and Italians use in action were a little more comforting than if I knew they had a 7mm mauser. Also, the 50 BMG M82s the Naval EOD carried left me feeling warm and fuzzy every time we rolled out with them. And yes they could shoot them accurately. My experience is about as real world as you get....

I voted for the 338 Lapua Mag but other notable choices are the 308 for previous stated reasons, 7mm rem mag, and 7 STW.

OK FAL Shot... let's talk about this for a moment. Your first paragraph could have some merit too it, if you would have established what you consider tolerate recoil along with accuracy and your idea of what a hunting weight rifle should weigh in at.
Now buying ammunition at "mom & pop" stores is not where reloaders as you mentioned go to for ammunition and from what I've seen nor do many others regardless where they live.
As for practicing long and hard to get the most out of a weapon, sure why not, most have too do that just to shoot a .22 long rifle well.

As to "you" out shooting most the people on this forum, that's a pretty bold statement chief; only speaking for myself I'm sure you might… but I guarantee you'd have to shot to prove it. Pounding your chest in print doesn't make statements facts, explaining might help in your case.
As to your 7mm Mauser remark, you did pick a very fine cartridge to allude to; but your history is a little wanting in facts. Walter Dalrymple Maitland Bell aka: Karamojo Bell did used a 7mm Mauser, as well as a 6.5x54mm for his Elephant hunting… but from what I've read on Mr. Bell's .303 Brit had as many kills as both the other aforementioned cartridges combined.
Oh by the way, dating the cartridge really is necessary here, most, and I mean most here already know it.

As for your paragraph with the rant'.…"narcissistic wet cartridge dream" in it. Come on, you know that inflammatory, and based on what you've ready wrote I'd say; it's very telling on you as a marksmen and hunter. You, like all of us here; have the right to state our opinions "a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge" when asked a question(s), which you have given. And my opinion is, you're the one with daydreaming experiences and a metric ton of bovine anal seepage.

So I hope you'll be happy with your 7mm Rem Mag and kill many critters and punch much paper at great distances with little felt recoil, along with consuming copious amounts of Odoul's non alcoholic beer from your favorite Mom & Pop store while you buying your 7mm Rem Mag ammo for your hunt…. :D Just trying to be funny, don't take it personal.

My .02

As many outfitters and guides have stated whenever asked about what caliber they recommend for the type of game the customer is paying to hunt. The most common answer is:

"Bring the rifle and caliber your comfortable with and can shoot well".

I have 59 combined years of first hand experience shooting various firearms, target practicing, hunting, competitive match shooting, with 5 years in the U. S. Marine Corps. Honorably Serving my Country. 3 Tours of Combat in Vietnam with the infantry and Reconnaissance. In Vietnam my units worked with and supported our Scout/Sniper Teams. That said it doesn't make me a Sniper or and expert. In the Marine Corps I qualified "Expert" with the M14 and the 1911 each and every time it was necessary to be certified. In combat the goal is to kill your enemy, putting them down any way possible. I served with honorable men and many of them are on the "Vietnam Memorial Wall"!

Stay focused on the subject: The Perfect Long Rifle

Perfect depends on what your shooting at or hunting. The terrain, the region, atmospheric conditions, elevations, etc.

In rifles, I own and have built:
10/22 Ruger, 223 Weatherby MK V, 6.5 Grendel AR, 5.56 AR, 7-08 Rem, 243 Ackley Improved, 308 Rem, 30-06, M1 Garand, 1917 Eddystone Sniper Rifle in 30 Cal, 300 Win Mag M1A1, 7mm Mag, 338 Lapua.

Each rifle is perfect for the intended purpose.

SEMPER FIDELIS

OK FAL SHOT... let's talk about this for a moment. Your first paragraph could have some merit too it, if you would have established what you consider tolerate recoil along with accuracy and your idea of what a hunting weight rifle should weigh in at.
Now buying ammunition at "Mom & Pop" stores is not where re-loaders as you mentioned in your post go to for ammunition and from what I've seen nor do many others regardless of where they live.
As for practicing long and hard to get the most out of a weapon, sure why not, most have too do that just to shoot a .22 long rifle well.

As to "YOU" out shooting most the people on this forum, that's a pretty bold statement chief; only speaking for myself... I'm sure you might… but I guarantee you'd have to shoot to prove it. Pounding your chest in print doesn't make statements facts, explaining might help in your case.
As to your 7mm Mauser remark; you did pick a very fine cartridge to allude to; but your history is a little wanting in facts. Walter Dalrymple Maitland Bell aka: Karamojo Bell did used a 7mm Mauser, as well as a 6.5x54mm for his Elephant hunting… but from what I've read on Mr. Bell's hunts his .303 Brit had as many kills as both the other aforementioned cartridges combined.
Oh by the way'.., dating the cartridge really is not necessary here; most, and I mean most here already know it.

As for your paragraph with the rant'.…"narcissistic wet cartridge dream" in it. Come on, you know that's inflammatory, and based on what you have already wrote... I'd say; it's very telling on you as a marksmen and hunter. You, like all of us here; have the right to state our opinions "a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge" when asked a question(s), which you have given. And my opinion is, you're the one with daydreaming experiences and a metric ton of bovine anal seepage.

So I hope you'll be happy with your 7mm Rem Mag and kill many critters and punch much paper at great distances with little felt recoil, along with consuming copious amounts of Odoul's non alcoholic beer from your favorite Mom & Pop store while you buying your 7mm Rem Mag ammo for your hunt…. :D Just trying to be funny, don't take it personal.

My .02

PS: Had to come back and clean up the mistakes, I was in a hurry to get it posted before I headed out the door..
Second'.., I'd like to invite FAL Shot to come back in the spirit of friendship as one rifleman to another rifleman and make a good case for the 7mm Rem Mag which many of us here have owned and shot over the years, it's a fine cartridge an I'm sure all would agree.

Cheer's

Ya.. Ehh 338 Lapua Magnum Out of a Sako TRG 42. What I hunt dictates what I load, I don't understand your point. As a third Generation Rifleman I am disappointed at the sheer underestimation of your fellow enthusiasts. We all start out with a mentor, Correct? (Grandfather, Father, Uncle, brother etc..) We practice basic fundamentals and shoot as much as we can to become as good if not better than them. At a certain point you will come into your own and either take advise as to what caliber to stick with or choose from a vast array of equipment and cartridges. I started with a Ruger 22lr and moved along until 2007 I decided that the 338 LM is for me and have been shooting it ever since. Is this not the way you were taught? Or you woke up one day and decided to make decisions for others. OUT SHOOT? I bet my 16 year old Daughter with her 260 Remington would give you a HELL of run for your money. Being shallow exposed you, for one you do not reload, you have no trigger time which equals bad fundamentals. Your Rifle is not what you wanted it's what you settled for (reasons unknown? But I can probably guess why) 7mm Remington Mag is a great cartridge in it's own right. Good luck with all your Hunting and shooting ventures and GOD Bless.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.