The Perfect Long Rifle

What Caliber

• Total voters
My pick was 7MM REM MAG because of the amount of good box ammo and amount of good reloading comp. In the south. the 338 and ultras are not always easy to find.

7 mag has new life with the newer High B.C. bullets, it stretches the effective range of the 7 Mag into Ultra Mag Range. I bought a powder scale at the gun show and a Cheezy Lee-Loader = $19.95 = Very slow reloading, but very good results with the High B.C. bullets (Berger and Hornady) = .58 inch groups at 100 yards. I bought better dies and a press - its faster but not any better groups.

This is a great thread and has really helped me narrow down my decision for my next caliber. I'm leaning towards a .338 Ultra Mag. Thanks everyone.

Woolecox,
Your suggestions are spot on. I took the same path in building my arsenal.
Bolt guns that I've built with Remington 700 baseline rifles: 223, 243AI, 7-08, 308, 300WM. Each has been accuracy tuned, either new barrels or cut back re-chambered and recessed 11 degree muzzle crowns, tuned and adjusted triggers, the 7-08 and 300WM have jewel triggers, and pillar/glasbed stocks.
Great shooting and a major cost savings.

As far as the poll the 300WM.

I'm in the process of building a 338 Edge and just received all the parts to build my new 6.5 Grendel AR15.

Thanks to everyone for the great input.

SEMPER FIDELIS
Gonzo

Little Forky I shot 11-2-11 at 200yds, Mt Laguna, San Diego, Ca.
7-08 Rem, 140gr TSX, 43grs W748, 2813FPS.

Spotted him in a burn area on the fringe of some scrub oak and pine trees. All I could see was his backside. Moved 30 feet to a better vantage point and could see his antlers. He was broadside. I placed the crosshair 2/3rds up and behind his shoulder. Clean kill.

In recent years we've had quite a few fires and it has benefited the deer herds here quite well. Lots of fat. He weighed 150 field dressed.

My 7-08 has served me well in shilouette matches. I've also competed in a few long range varmint shilouette matches out to 800yds.

Gonzo

Attachments

• Forky 2011.JPG
    Forky 2011.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 16
I voted .308 winchester. It is perfect for my intended use of my rifle. I usually shoot at 5-600 yards (all I have access to), sometimes 800. It allows the use of a short action, and is a light recoiling round. It is the main cartridge I have been using since I got my first centerfire rifle.

There are much better choices when you get to more extended ranges, but for the ranges I shoot at, they are just a waste of powder, and a pain in the shoulder! haha.

i picked the 7mm rem mag because it's always been there for me in thick and thin,cheaper to handload than the big 338's ,moderate recoil and good ballistic coefficient bullet selection.

Well it starts with the stock, it's gotta fit just right, then the trigger, It's gotta break with just the right amount of pressure #2 does it for me, it can't have any creep or over travel. then the action has to be as smooth as a babies but and the bolt has got to feel as if it just falls in place. then the Barrel it's gotta have enough mass to aid in stability and long enough to get the bullet moving, and provide a complete burn, being manufactured with top quality. Now for the glass, It's has got to have sufficient adjustment to take full advantage of the bullets range, while providing sufficient eye relief and a large exit pupil, a sharp clear image and a good magnification, with a reticle that can pull double duty as BDC in a pinch and provide reticle ranging capabilities just for backup. After that I really couldn't care what it's chambered in be it 7mag or up to 338 AM, cause it's gonna work either way. That rifle would be just about as close to perfect as can be.

I am shooting a 7 RM right now, but that gun will get converted into a 7 STW in the future, so that was my vote.

I love the BC's of the big 7mm pills, and I believe that the STW is just the case to send them down range. I enjoy shooting paper and steel at distance, but hunting is my main purpose.

I'm sure the 338 cal bullets are great as well, I am just more comfortable with the 7mm, and in the end it comes down to what each of us is most comfortable with, so the STW got my vote.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.