The mighty 270 WSM strikes again!

COBrad

Okay, so it really wasn't that dramatic... 175 yard shot this morning on a yearling cow. 140 gr Accubond made for a quick kill.
Really like this sweet Allen Precision rifle. It shoots a lot more marmots than anything else. This one is my longest shot with this rifle, at 794 yards.

Attachments

• 2015 cow 1.jpg
    2015 cow 1.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 794 yds hog w elk rifle 8.22 enhanced.jpg
    794 yds hog w elk rifle 8.22 enhanced.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 180
Great post. Made me laugh. Nice job on both big game animals. I am sure one was a bit tougher to pack out and one tastes better. :D

Steve

.270 WSM in an APS rifle? Seems like a waist!
Did you have to endure the standard 2-3 year wait time for that little fella?:D

Shooting elk looks fun, I can't remember the feeling. I struck out on my solo DIY hunt this year. You're a lucky man!

I didn't have to wait at all for the rifle.

A gun store in Utah had 7 of them built in a few standard calibers. The guy had to close his doors when the economy tanked. This was to be his personal rifle and I got a screamin' deal on it, unfired.
I actually found it on gunbroker.
I spoke to Kirby Allen about it before purchasing, and he extended his full warranty as though I had ordered it myself.
It's a reliable half-moa rifle with 140 gr Berger VLD's.

Here's one I got in November. 1098 yds. The shot was from the tree line just over the right side of my hat in the photo.

Attachments

• 1098 yd bull 4 crop.jpg
    1098 yd bull 4 crop.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 162
Here's one I got in November. 1098 yds. The shot was from the tree line just over the right side of my hat in the photo.

That is a heck of a shot. Nice job. Obviously you have a high quality rifle and great shooting ability.

Steve

I didn't have to wait at all for the rifle.

A gun store in Utah had 7 of them built in a few standard calibers. The guy had to close his doors when the economy tanked. This was to be his personal rifle and I got a screamin' deal on it, unfired.
I actually found it on gunbroker.
I spoke to Kirby Allen about it before purchasing, and he extended his full warranty as though I had ordered it myself.
It's a reliable half-moa rifle with 140 gr Berger VLD's.

Don't know what I'm more envious about, the gun or the hunting.

Probably the hunting!!!!!!

Ok fellas, which one of ya can tell me a 277 - 140 Berger moving at a decent velocity ain't a long range hammer?

Just ask'n...

Especially when the boolit goes precisely where you desire.

Well, the hunting is probably a little like cheating. I got both these elk on the ranch I manage.
I've had the good fortune to live in western CO, in the middle of arguably the best elk hunting on the planet. Working ranches and guiding all of my adult life has opened great hunting opportunities.

royinidaho, I agree completely. I wasn't looking for a .270 WSM, but the rifle itself was precisely what I would have ordered. After researching the round it seemed apparent it was virtually identical to the 7 mag, my favorite round.
Between the elk I've shot, and several hundred more I've guided to, or packed out over the past 30+ years, I've come to the conclusion the big magnums are just not necessary to kill elk, unless shots are at extended ranges, let's say past 5-600 yards. I also don't take shots that are bad angles. Growing up we were taught to take only broadside shots, or shots at moderate angles. IME, bullet weight and construction are more important than a magnum to provide all the penetration necessary for even bad angle shots at the ranges most elk are killed- 200 yards or less.

The 1098 yard elk was taken with a 7 rem mag shooting 180 gr Berger HVLD's. That rifle was not built for elk, I had it built for long range marmots.

All joking aside what do you do with a marmot. I used to live in Colorado and seen these things up in the high country. I have hunted then for fun with a 22. I ran into one fella that was taken 3 back down the hill. I asked what he was going to do with them and he said they eat like squirrels. So I somewhat laughed it off and went about my way. But do people really eat these things? I think there fur once tanned out would be a better use. I have eaten a few squirrels and rabbits in my day but never thought of one of these things. I think Colorado had limit of 3 per day also.

Colorado has classified them as a small game animal with a limit of 2 now, and you have to eat them. I've eaten a lot of Marmot! It does eat like squirrel, but they are greasier, like a bear.
I once brought a big pot of marmot stew to a potluck. I had clearly labeled it as Marmot Stew, and had several people ask if it was really marmot. At the end of the evening my crockpot looked like someone had licked it clean.

You know that makes me think a little, I wonder how my wife would feel if I ever brought one home and said hey honey I got us dinner. Next time I just might have to try one out but I don't know if there are any in Utah which is were my job has taken me. :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts