Terrain You Are Willing to Hike on While Hunting

I haven't gutted an elk for years and I don't ever pack a quarter because there is no reason to carry the bones. Sometimes I wonder what the heck I am doing 4 miles away from the truck boning an elk out after dark by myself, but it sure is gratifying when it's done. Typical elk over the past ~10 seasons have ranged from 1.5 to 5 miles away and some in the range of 2000-3000 vertical feet. I have a pack buddy and luckily I don't seem to kill the big bulls often, but the meat is good!

Deer trips for me have been shorter most of the time but the badlands terrain can be treacherous when trying to pack. Trekking poles are a life saver.

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpeg
    IMG_0528.jpeg
    777.2 KB · Views: 24
Just how difficult of terrain are you willing to walk in on while hunting?

Speaking for myself, nothing extreme, because if I shoot something, I now have to make several trips out, carrying a heavy weight. Sure I know how to quarter a deer, moose, whatever, but that's the easy part. A small deer isn't so bad, say 30 or 40 or so lbs a quarter. But a moose can easily be 90 to 140 lbs a quarter, times 4 trips, I want the terrain to be reasonable. Honestly I was shocked by comments from another thread, where some say they hunt terrible terrain. Do you walk in on terrain so tough, you fall down regularly?
If so, what's the plan to hike out the meat?
Maybe I am missing something.
Thanks.

Speaking for myself, nothing extreme, because if I shoot something, I now have to make several trips out, carrying a heavy weight. Sure I know how to quarter a deer, moose, whatever, but that's the easy part. A small deer isn't so bad, say 30 or 40 or so lbs a quarter. But a moose can easily be 90 to 140 lbs a quarter, times 4 trips, I want the terrain to be reasonable. Honestly I was shocked by comments from another thread, where some say they hunt terrible terrain. Do you walk in on terrain so tough, you fall down regularly?
Thanks.

Thanks.
IMG_4244.jpeg

Wherever the critters are. I've never given it too much consideration and consider myself willing/able to get it done. That said, my wife harvested a 5x this year and the whole time we were getting set up for the shot I thought our camp was just beyond a saddle on the far side of the elk. Turns out, an entire drainage had developed between us and our camp as the ridge we were paralleling had split and I didn't know it. 7 hours round trip from camp to the kill site and back. From there it was another 1.5 hour round trip on foot to our Rokons. From there it was 3 hour round trip to the truck. She dropped him on Sunday @ 3 pm. We got half of him to camp by @ 10 pm Sunday evening. And then got all but one quarter out to the truck by 10 pm on Monday night. I went back in on Tuesday to get the last quarter. I might start paying more attention now going forward 😏

There is nowhere I won't go for a sheep. Almost nowhere for a decent buck. And for a big bull I just have to have a serious talk with myself about what my knees are capable of. With the right team of friends though the harder, the deeper, the steeper, the more fun we have and the better we remember the whole thing. A true physical challenge presents a true reward. Adventure! I always think of what Lewis and Clark did and think I'm just being wimpy thinking this or any mountain was really that hard. My good buddy used to always say everything is possible…you just need more time and more calories!

I am much older now so I can pack out….tenderloins and/or back straps. Guide does the rest.
It started snowing today and the driveway was daunting.

No real falls since I hit the deck trying to get to bathroom in hospital. Didn't want to bother anyone LOL.

I don't have anymore tumbles left in me.

I go anywhere to get away from other hunters, hikers and bikers.
Pressure push's deer and elk further into canyons, valleys, and ridges..that's where I'll be. I firmly believe when talking strategy, there is opening day, then the rest of the season. I'll hike in where they are whether it's archery, rifle, muzzle loader, or whatever I can get a tag for and I've never had a problem with putting in the work for sheep.
Keep in mind, I go to hunt rather than collect preference points like baseball cards for some premium or once in a life tag. So, as many of you who are familiar with the draw can imagine, I hunt public's lands, and usually the easy-ish tags to get are low success rate areas.

It can suck, especially with elk, for sure. I've had to pack out elk by myself 5 miles in…it was a pretty rough day and night. Something like 26.7 miles day, with about 70 lbs back on the meat, and the initial pack out was full bivy; like 135 lbs total. Down hill mostly. As luck would have it.

Attachments

• IMG_1971.jpeg
    IMG_1971.jpeg
    658.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1981.jpeg
    IMG_1981.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2833.jpeg
    IMG_2833.jpeg
    443.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2832.jpeg
    IMG_2832.jpeg